* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Tesoro For Dummies Chapter 1 The Mojave.  (Read 1125 times)

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Tesoro For Dummies Chapter 1 The Mojave.
« on: April 13, 2017, 15:48 »
Well, after a tedious time trying to obtain one all was smoothed over thanks to the kindness of a Forum member who made it appear effortless in the end. A package was delivered to my door all the way from the USA. Your 1st instinct is to shake the box as it is so light you believe the box could be empty. Opening the box revealed a nicely packaged and undamaged Detector, even a 9v battery. Assembly is straight forward, you become aware of the quality as you start to put it together, shafts are a tolerance fit, stainless steel spring strain relief at the control box, ss bolts and lock nuts on the already assembled armrest. a splash of water on the coil ears and the lower shaft firmly slides into place, install the battery and your good to go.
Pretty much all of my detecting is trashy park perimeters usually within walking distance of my home, how did the Mojave cope?, very well indeed. It has no thresh hold tone, two dials, one for sensitivity, one for discrimination, I worked out I don't need full sensitivity here so I ran it about a third of it's capability and the disc so that it just crackles on those big beaver tails, it makes absolutely no sound at all until you swing over a target, while experimenting I gave it full sensitivity but kept the disc at pull tab rejection, 10" on a twenty cent piece no problem. The disc is very favorable to our currency including predecimals, at pull tab rejection you will still pick up 5c but 9ct gold will dissapear, every thing else is in.
You can take this detector to the next level by using any 7 of the Epsilon optional coils including the 3x18 Wide scan, I won't be doing this for a while as the standard 7" concentric suits my need's perfectly, it's recovery rate is fast, depth of detection is more than adequate for my needs.In short Less is More, it's perfectly at home in my Happy Hunting Ground.
Ps No need to use the Difficult setting of the GB switch here, will soon test it out at the beach, I do have a 'Difficult' area in mind and will report back when completed....cheers Colin.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 16:23 by OL 56 »
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Online ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Likes Given: 454

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Tesoro For Dummies Chapter 1 The Mojave.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 17:05 »
Great preview Colin...sounds like  a " Tesoro"...simple, specific on targets, light and easy to swing..and excellent discrimination....I'm guessing that it is still a little front heavy, but didn't realise it came with an interchangable standard concentric coil...(sure looks like a widescan)...that alone places it in a different field to it's older Compadre, and more alongside the Cibola..I'll be looking out for your thoughts on the G/B as you try it out on the beach....The Cib is at a loss when it comes to wet salty sand so, if the G/B helps in that area, it could be a great little "go anywhere" detector...great for travelling !

What's the set up you have for your headphones???..looks like the lead is attached to your armrest???...Volume control???

ohb1
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 17:12 by ohb1 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline ANT1967-2

• Silver

3.33%
    • I live in: Victoria at the moment
  • Likes Given: 836

• Total Badges: 10
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 18:02 »
G'day Col ,

It sounds like a great switch on & go

What is the first pic ? -AT Pro ?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used - a few , Own GPX5000 , CTX3030
  • Oldest find: Gold nuggets , 1857 Gothic Florin

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 18:47 »
Hi Ant, the 1st photo is actually the Mojave in full battle dress, ohb1 the object clipped to the arm rest is the Receiver for the Garrett Z Link wireless system, I normally clip it to my belt or put it in my pocket, just put it there for the photo, now that I use the Mojave regularly I just use it without headphones as it came out of the box, only a few dog walkers around, the target tone is unmistakable and it runs dead quiet, won't even sound off on your steel caps, it is a delight to use, I think I'm understanding the 'Tesoro Thing', so far I've only dug one bottle top and the odd fat pull tab, the performance far outweighs it's price, I'm going to give it a 9 out of ten, 1 point off due to the difficulty of obtaining one, in regards to the coil and the suggestion it may be front heavy..... it is well balanced as the coil is very thin, more like a pancake, without the scuff plate it is 9mm thick, cover adds 2mm, $251US I feel like I've stolen it. ;D  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

6.67%
    • I live in: Illawarra, NSW
  • Likes Given: 180

• Total Badges: 38
    Nineth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 20:33 »
Still picks up 5c bits with the disc set on Tab? Wowser. On the Cibola and Silver Umax I lose 5,10 and even 20cents at that level of disc! Not that I mind as I still get all the good stuff bar post 46 threepences.
Nice review, you seem well happy with it. And yes a steal at that price even with postage from the US.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Cibola & Minelab Etrac
  • Oldest find: Spanish 2 Reale - from between 1760 - 1771

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 97

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 20:44 »
I to look forward to see how it will handle a wet beach, I would guess in the Low GC setting perhaps High if there is a layer of black sand.
I read it might also be of use on a gold field, if so there is a lot of oomph in a small package.
Looks like a detector that should not be judged on its simplistic appearance.

Like the clear tape over the speaker hole on the pin-pointer.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 22:00 »
WW, the Disc has got me puzzled as I assumed it was a Linear type of disc., not a notch setup, I've dug plenty of 5's now and no normal pull tabs, it's just a minor tweak of the disc dial to bring the tabs back in, the downside is no 9ct gold rings. You can see a 5c in the photo, I gave my finds a wash in the  Dog Fountain before the pic, they have been there a while, not corroded just dirty, I believe it's the recovery speed and target separation on this detector compared to my 705 even with a 6" coil, it just does not null, I'm loving it to bits.
All down to you Ivanll, always a risk in trying some thing untested, honestly got nothing critical to say, about gold, here is some thing interesting on another Forum with reference to Australia.
www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3348-tesoro-mojave-for-nugget-detecting/

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44 »
Re the link.
He says in March his mate was using it a couple of months ago.( Jan.)  Sounds like someone in Australia got one early. Might beep on gold when over it but guessing it will beep over hot rocks as well. I know Colin didn't purchase his for gold prospecting though and it sounds like it is good for park work.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 97

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 09:51 »
 ""A guy called me about 2 months ago looking for one of these units.  He said he uses it for gold prospecting in Western Australia of all places.""
_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I read that to, so is he looking for one ?, or is he using one? .... he obviously have used Tesoro before, but not necessarily a Mojave.

OL56 is the only one that have posted pictures on any forum over here after having received and used his Mojave, That's a first in my book!

Anyhow I've seen them being in stock again at some  US dealers and would not be surprised if others in Oz decide to get one, if nothing else just for the fun of it.

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 15:33 »
Something to add to one of the above posts re the Discrimination, I had been puzzled how come I was digging 5c pieces when they were supposed to be discriminated out?, I paid particular attention this morning and discovered it is operator error, when I put the Detector down and lift my hand vertically I was brushing against the Disc. Dial, as I wear gloves I didn't even notice so I ended up back in the 5c zone, I might add that when sorting my coins out it turns out that most of the 5c's are in fact 1c BB's, geez talk about a seniors moment, all part of the learning curve I guess so apologies for any confusion to the more experienced users.......cheers Colin.

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

6.67%

Nineth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 16:33 »
Thanks for clearing that up Col, I was also puzzled as to why you were getting 5c at high disc settings. Don't worry we all have seniors moments! I have knocked my Umax into all metal mode without realising it on many occasions, then wondered why the machine was going crazy......

Offline douglas

• Copper

13.33%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Likes Given: 112

100 Posts One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:37 »
SSHHHHHHHHHHHHH see how long it is before you can't put it down, nothing bothers my vaquero on the goldfields but like all Vlf on the gold, they don't go deep and if your swinging one where a gpx has been you don't have a hope
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garret ace 250

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 17:03 »
Well I finally got the chance to test the 2 position Ground switch, Normal and Difficult. I frequently visit this spot as it is a challenge to detect, you need the tide in your favor to expose as much of the rocks as possible, anyway the story is I went straight into the wet sand in Normal Mode, there was slight falsing but the Detector was still very usable, flicked the switch to Difficult and straight away I'm back into silent search again with just the slightest loss of depth. So there you have it,.....one cheap entry level, very well made, rugged detector with a life time warranty and suitable for beach work, it's just a damn curse it's not freely available in Oz.

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 17:06 »
Sorry to resurrect an older post but I now have closure, having been a frequent visitor to my local parks I can confirm the Mojave owes me nothing, I have picked up a few user tricks along the way but overall the simplicity of use has been a pleasure, with sensitivity toned right back all these coins were less than 100mm deep, of course you can imagine the amount of rubbish that came with the territory but thats just part of this caper........cheers Colin.  

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

6.67%

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 19:22 »
Another satisfied Tesoro user. The simplicity of beep & dig, yet those beeps can tell you a lot.

Good to see some action in the long neglected Tesoro section!

Offline douglas

• Copper

13.33%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Likes Given: 112

100 Posts One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 22:32 »
I can tell what coin it is before I dig it with my Vaquero, and pin point down to the size of a one cent coint, best thing I ever bought and still can't pry it from my fingers
The only draw back is gold rings as I'm always discriminating
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garret ace 250

Online ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Likes Given: 454

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 13:25 »
 So there you have it,.....one cheap entry level, very well made, rugged detector with a life time warranty and suitable for beach work, it's just a damn curse it's not freely available in Oz.

Great to read your review and summary OL56...Sounds like a great detector for travelling!.......light, small, easy to pull apart and  put together...and...works in wet sand!!!!!!!

Oh so true about the difficulty we are having with Tesoro support though!....I'm chasing up a (lost) Cibola battery door for Ringa...Three weeks and three phone calls, and still no closer to getting one....Tesoro USA has at least said they will post one direct to me here in OZ....I think that will be the path I will have to take!..Shame they can't just send detectors over the same way!

ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything