* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Up the Creek ..... Bottle Hunting !  (Read 969 times)

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 34
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
Up the Creek ..... Bottle Hunting !
« on: April 28, 2017, 16:53 »
I Invited Sambo to join me yesterday for a bottle hunt in a creek where i have dug some nice old bottles after the creek has a flood go through . Giving a couple weeks for the creek to settle down from Cyclone Debbie , I thought it was time to go have a look :) . Met up with Chris at the arranged spot & off we went . Walked the creek with a garden fork while Chris had a nice 3 pronged probe & we both did ok , we even doubled up on a couple bottles with both of us each getting one the same  , i also dug out of the mud a full size Australian Flag with is presently soaking to try & clean it up a bit , it will make a great addition to my bar , included is my 1st attempt at cutting bottles , the Green BEB bottle is a brisbane beer bottle from about the 1930's it is on a lean to the right showing that this one is a crudely made one Gazza .
Gazza

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 633

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Up the Creek ..... Bottle Hunting !
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 19:54 »
Do you use a hot (or is it cold) wire to cut the bottles.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 1438

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 22:28 »
Firsttly I'd like to give a big thank you to BrisGazza for the invite - it says a lot about a bloke that he's willing to share his best spots.  One of the many benefits of this great Forum is the friendships formed.

Was a great day for a walk in the creek, even if the water was a bit on the nippy side.  We worked hard for what we got, cyclone Debbie had done her job and churned things up, some bottles were shallow but other were buried quiet deep.  As Gary said, a few good bottles between us.  My best was a nice Marchants blob top - pics were taken in fading light so apologies for the quality.

Thanks again Gary, top day out.

Sambo
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 22:31 by Sambo »

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:43 »
Hi Ray , it is a gadget with rollers that has a glass cutter in it , you turn the bottle in it & the cutter scores the glass , then you run hot water over the score in an even fashion then dip it or run it under cold water causing it to  hopefully crack in the right place :)  i was not able to run it properly on the small Gardeners bottle as the machine needs to be flat on both sides for the cutter to be able to score the bottle , in this case there was too big a gap where the neck was , i will be looking for a way to solve this problem :) , Thanks for all the likes , & Chris , you are most welcome mate , Gazza 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

Offline Notalot

• Bronze

56.67%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 489

• Total Badges: 20
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 08:57 »
BG, do you find the bottles in the banks or on the floor of the river? Thanks for sharing.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Cibola,Pro Pointer.
  • Oldest find: Vic 1881 One Shilling

Offline John-au

• Silver

100%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 150

• Total Badges: 39
    Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 10:44 »
Hi Ray , it is a gadget with rollers that has a glass cutter in it , you turn the bottle in it & the cutter scores the glass , then you run hot water over the score in an even fashion then dip it or run it under cold water causing it to  hopefully crack in the right place :)  i was not able to run it properly on the small Gardeners bottle as the machine needs to be flat on both sides for the cutter to be able to score the bottle , in this case there was too big a gap where the neck was , i will be looking for a way to solve this problem :) , Thanks for all the likes , & Chris , you are most welcome mate , Gazza
Another way to get the bottle to crack along the score mark is to use length of wire with lead wrapped around the end inserted in the bottle and tap along the inside of the score, use as much force as you can get by swinging the wire in the confined space a bottle. You should be able to see the crack in the glass growing and keep tapping at the head of it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 16:53 »
Notalot , hi  hows things up there , most of them are in the sand , although we did dig a couple out of the bank . I guess if one could find the actual source they would be well buried but with the rush of the water it pulls them out of the dirt & they head down stream . We think we have narrowed down one source but i know some are coming from further up stream , so every time it floods i go hunting so far we are doing well :) . John that is an interesting idea thankyou , my trouble with the small Gardners was that i was trying to avoid a couple of cracks in it & tried to go between them but i actually went over the embossing & the score went off to one of the cracks , the milk bottle actually diddn't work too bad , i only have a small bit to fix up & it will be a good pencil holder or the likes with some history :)  I have had another idea shown to me which might help with the  bottles that need to be cut around the neck , Gazza .
Gazza

Offline ANT1967-2

• Silver

3.33%
    • I live in: Victoria at the moment
  • Likes Given: 836

• Total Badges: 10
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 18:24 »
I'm quite amazed how many bottles are in one piece !

Nice work
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used - a few , Own GPX5000 , CTX3030
  • Oldest find: Gold nuggets , 1857 Gothic Florin

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

86.67%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Likes Given: 1246

• Total Badges: 39
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 21:49 »
What a bottler of a day!

Some great finds.

Congrats guys.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer, GPX5000
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40 »
Ant , there is that much broken glass in the creek it is not funny , some of it would have been from some nice old bottles  some would have been from  more recent bottles like 1960/70s .   These pics are only the ones we wanted to keep , Chris was having a field day digging out a lot of these more recent day beer bottles , was cursing them  in the end   ;D Gazza 
Gazza

Offline dirtburrower

• Bronze

6.67%
    • I live in: Perth, WA
  • Likes Given: 88

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 15:48 »
Great finds. Old glass bottles are always a work of art. The other way to cut them was to score with your roller, then wrap about 3 times around cut cotton string (not plastic) which had been soaked in kero ? , then light string, (without setting fire to yourself. ) Then when burnt out, plunge bottle into a bucket of cold water, and should crack apart along cut line, then polish cut smooth with sandpaper. Thats how I remember it anyway. DB.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Cut my teeth on Garrett A2B, now living the dream with a CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1894 six pence

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 16:52 »
D B that is the other way that i was recently shown , i was planning on trying that way with a few that have to be cut near the neck :)  Gazza 
Gazza

Offline dirtburrower

• Bronze

6.67%

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 18:37 »
Hi Gazza, its always good to practice on the rough ones first. I still have my sheet metal V scorer somewhere. Another thing I thought of after earlier post was scoring first, then spinning bottle slowly over a lit candle flame , and then rubbing an ice cube around score line. From memory that worked also, but cant remember if that or string method worked best. Also, if you ever come west, there is a bottle museum in Coolgardie that is well worth having a look at. Look forward to more pics, thanks, DB.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Cut my teeth on Garrett A2B, now living the dream with a CTX 3030

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 07:08 »
Thanks DB , not sure about the v scorer ? as for the ice cube have heard of that before but not tried it yet , i will practice some more before i attempt to do the thicker bottles , Gazza 
Gazza

Offline dirtburrower

• Bronze

6.67%

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 17:49 »
Hi Gazza, similar to below, but had a V shape to hold bottle steady, with scorer attached. DB.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glass-Bottle-Cutter-Kit-Craft-glass-art-cutting-machine-tool-for-jar-recycle-/281661275707?hash=item419451fe3b:g:-McAAOSwPgxVKz0h

Just searched on that internet. This bloke covers all methods. DB.
http://mikegigi.com/bottle.htm

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 18:09 by dirtburrower »

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:14 »
Thanks DB , looks interesting & i will have a good read here , i appreciate the info mate , i see what Ray meant about a hot wire now aswell , Gazza .
Gazza

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam