* Share it Around

Author Topic:  The Elusive Pub.  (Read 573 times)

Offline Notalot

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    53.33%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 601

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
The Elusive Pub.
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:03 »
A good day although a little unsuccessful was had yesterday when Sambo, BrizzGazza and myself met up to find the site of a late 1800's pub.

Maybe a little more research is needed to find exactly where the the site is, however all was not wasted as a short walk away Sambo came up with a couple of pre-dec threepences in good condition.

The morning was getting on so a decision was made to try another location further down the road. Sambo came up with yet another little threepence and some modern  small change.  BrizzGazza not to be out done also pulled out a shiny threepence.

On to a third and probably well hit site over the years, but all was not lost as BrizzGazza popped another threepence from the hard dirt.

For me, I didn't fair so well, however, the day out was an education, watching how the tone and numbers machines of Sambo's and BrizzGazza's  went up against the Cibola. It was interesting to compare who was digging what.  I dug a fair few ring pulls and bottle tops but no pre- decs this time.

Thanks to Sambo and BrizzGazza for a great day out. :)

Offline Goodbeard

• Platinum

26.67%
    • I live in: North Canberra
  • Likes Given: 628

• Total Badges: 24
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: The Elusive Pub.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07 »
Keep looking guys, and keep researching, half the fun is the research and the hunt.  Of course the other half of the fun is finding the pub!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 - Xtrerra 305 - Xterra 705 - Garret pro pointer - Tesoro Silver Umax - Garratt ACE 250
  • Oldest find: 1806 George III Penny

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 760

• Total Badges: 34
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 16:46 »
Well it was a good day out for sure , after tramping around in the long grass & weeds trying to find any thing that might show some light into it's hiding place without much luck it was time to go somewhere else to try & find something to take home . A nice little pair of 3 Pences ...1924 & 1925 saved my day , I also got 3 x $ 2  a $1 & a 50 cent piece & a pair of 5 cents pieces A bottle stopper & a junk ring . Thankyou Sambo & Notalot for another good day out in the scrub lookin for history :) Gazza .
Gazza

Offline blueyonder

• Platinum

23.33%
    • I live in: Avalon NSW
  • Likes Given: 574

Sixth year Anniversary Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny The Gold Ring Rising Sun Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 20:54 »
Check this out young newbies and jaded old buggers. Out and about in the scrub with a couple of like minded coves after some sharp witted research. It's not all about the finds . Nice report you guys.

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 1536

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 18:00 »
Check this out young newbies and jaded old buggers.

Jaded old bugger? I think I resemble that remark ;D.

I reckon we weren't far off the old Pub site, but in the end we were defeated by the thick vegetation which is typical of the area.  Will have to chat further to the local farmer to narrow things down a bit more.

Regardless of the finds, it was a great day out and I'm already looking forward to the next one. Not much beats a days detecting in great company.

Cheers
Sambo

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

6.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 19:29 »
Keep looking guys, and keep researching, half the fun is the research and the hunt.  Of course the other half of the fun is finding the pub!!

and of course if you can't find the old one the new one will have to do.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Abouttostart

• Bronze

20%
    • I live in: Brisbane QLD
  • Likes Given: 92

• Total Badges: 17
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53 »
Well done to all , i remember the ice-cream scoops
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Fisher F75 - White's TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1859 - Shilling / 1882 - Britannia Penny /1897 - Sixpence

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 760

500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 17:46 »
  ;D I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that :)  Gazza 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam