Register

Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting

* Share it Around

Author Topic:  A few more pre-decs . . . .  (Read 800 times)

Offline Mossop

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    63.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129

• Total Badges: 28
    Badges: (View All)
    Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Rams Head Shilling 100 Posts Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary
A few more pre-decs . . . .
« on: August 18, 2017, 17:21 »
Hunted the same place I did last week and found another  penny, and 3 C'wealth halfpennies, including a 1919 and one that had apparently been dipped in house-paint before being lost (!!) . . . . . would love to know which paint - it wore particularly well after 6 or 8 decades in the soil!!!!!!
Switched positions after lunch (after exceeding my parking time, only to work out I could have parked across the road . .  duh)to another place I'd sussed, but I suspect its been done before as signals were very few and far between. However, scored my first florin (you beauty) and a 1919 threepence. Need to score a shilling now . . . . . . then I can start on the 19th century.
More than happy for the day. Starting to think I am seriously addicted . . . . . let's face it - I am!!
Just need to get onto a couple of sites with better preservation characteristics.
I wanna AM to find finding stuff older than I am . . . . . .

Offline blueyonder

• Platinum

23.33%
    • I live in: Avalon NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 574

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny The Gold Ring Rising Sun Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts
Re: A few more pre-decs . . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 18:57 »
A good keen report there Mossop! Nice finds too. Florins are not too easy to come by. Always good to hear a story about detecting and see the finds...even if they don't always break new ground so to speak. The forum would be pretty quiet if we only posted the spectacular rare stuff. I haven't been too coil active lately due to a massive workload in business and with family. Love popping in here to get my fix..cheers..Dave
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Infinium LS,Garrett AT PRO
  • Oldest find: 1842 Queen Victoria young head silver half crown

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 231

• Total Badges: 13
    Rising Sun Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 18:57 »
Great Finds Moss,
It never gets old pulling the pre dec out of the ground does it?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge  ;D
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna
1902 Rising Sun Badge

Offline Mossop

• Copper

63.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129

• Total Badges: 28
    Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Rams Head Shilling 100 Posts Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 21:07 »
I suspect it won't Oceandog . . . . . I'm a history buff from way back. I get the same buzz I got when finding fossils about 30 years ago. They have particular resonance at the moment as I am poking around where my dad grew up in the 40's. Who knows - he might have dropped one of them!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300, Garrett Ace400i
  • Oldest find: 1875 Victoria penny!!!

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1093

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 21:13 »
They sure don'y make paint like they used to, eh?

Not trying to be a smartarse  but when it comes to predecs The Bay is full of them....you poor land lubbers.... ;D  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
  • Liked:

Rising Sun Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 21:39 »
You're right KG, Back in the 90s  when i used to scuba dive, i used to pick up handfuls of them under St Kilda Pier and Kerferd Rd Pier. Mostly around the Pylons. Quite a few old fob watches there too
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 22:06 »
Exactly Oceandog,

I constantly read of guys finding their first "whatever" predec after years of detecting and yet we water dudes pick them up on a daily basis.
Just spoilt, I guess.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 22:44 »
Again Oceandog.....in relation to your comment about finding coins "mostly around the pylons".

I also noticed fairly early on that "finds" seemed to be "un naturally" concentrated around pylons. Common sense indicated that it would be unlikely that pier wandering folk would all lose their coins, keys, sinkers, jewellery etc within half a meter of a pier leg, so what gives?

Well, one day I noticed that around ever pier leg there was a cone shaped crater in the sand...ie, from up to a meter out from the leg the sand would slope sharply down to the leg itself.....probably due to wave action or current or whatever.

My theory is that whatever hit the sand up to a meter away from the pylon would then slide down the sides of this "cone shaped depression" when the right conditions presented themselves resulting in them ending up hard up against the pylon.

This would explain why I would literally find dozens of coins, sinkers, etc hard up against the pier legs and yet find only a few once I'd get a short distance out from them .
Others, probably scuba divers seem to have worked this out as well as many of the legs I've tried have had nothing around them, yet when you hit a virgin area its amazing what can be found.
A few of my gothic florins have come from here....no detecting required, the machine can't cope with the sheer volume of targets beneath the coil at any one time....just turn the machine off and fan the sand away, picking up full house after full house.
But its not just around the piers where predecs were commonplace. My 2 best days where I got 10 full houses, along with a couple of half sovs and 5 bits of gold each day were just in a meter of water off a nondescript bit of beach.

The water is where its at folks.    

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1538

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 11:05 »
Not trying to be a smartarse  but when it comes to predecs The Bay is full of them....you poor land lubbers.... ;D  

Not trying to be a smartarse either, but if I was pulling piles of predecs out of the ground, they'd probably lose their appeal too.  It's more the research and thrill of the chase.  It's funny how the more elusive something is, the more I want to find it, human nature I guess.

I actually feel sorry for you sea dogs that have to struggle up the beach weighed down with all those coins... ;D .

Sambo
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:10 by Sambo »

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 15:34 »
Did You find the 1/2 Sovs on the beach in Melbourne or else where?
I used to live in Port Melbourne (pre detecting days). There were so many promising sites for detecting there.

But its not just around the piers where predecs were commonplace. My 2 best days where I got 10 full houses, along with a couple of half sovs and 5 bits of gold each day were just in a meter of water off a nondescript bit of beach.

The water is where its at folks.    

[/quote]

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 18:36 »
Did You find the 1/2 Sovs on the beach in Melbourne or else where?

Melbourne beach....south of Frankston, north of Portsea. :)

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 08:53 »
MMMM Interesting.
Melbourne beach....south of Frankston, north of Portsea. :)

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33 »
People seem to think that old stuff only comes from inner city beaches.

Not so....people settled around the shores from very early on.
Most of our major piers were built around the 1850-60s and that includes Portsea, Sorrento, Rye, Dromana, Mornington etc.
I've heard of sovs and half sovs found at Portsea and Sorrento under the piers, sov found at Mt Martha by Jack, sov found at Mornington on the beach, half sov at Frankston by a forum member and I'm sure theres heaps more that I haven't heard about.

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 20:50 »
I tell you what KG You will certainly hear about it when i find mine. I only detect on the Peninsula, Like you i love the history of everything down here.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 21:45 »
And I wish you luck in your quest.

But its truly amazing the amount of activity that took place on the Peninsula.
Especially around the piers, but oh so difficult to work these.
Portsea, way too much overburden and even then there seems to be no hard "floor" to speak of. When Portsea beach was being washed away due to the dredging up at The Heads I went down there for a look. I found about 35 odd rings along with several hundred dollars worth of coins there, virtually no pre decs which suggests that its been eroded before and worked by others back then. But even though a couple of meters of sand was removed in places it was still hard to find bottom in a lot of areas.

Sorrento, the same. 40 years ago I dived with a couple of friends who were working a dredge off the front of the pier looking for old bottles. They got thousands, but a lot of them were waaay down. If you dive in the hole dredged for the Searoad ferries at the pier you'll notice the sides slope a good 2-3 meters to the bottom. You get good hard bottom here and I believe the first scuba divers to get in here absolutely cleaned up on the old stuff just lying about everywhere.

Mornington....if you've seen some of the old photos then the mind boggles at the thought of what lies beneath. But again, your talking meters of sand and mud before you get to the clay.
A couple of mates of mine were on air checking things out at the recent works on the pier and found a bit brought to the top including a nice gold chain.
But its around these places where your best chance of finding a gold coin is.....good luck.  

xx
pre decs

Started by hsvgash on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 13:43
by Rwork
question
How Many Pre Decs Have You Found This Year ?

Started by max705 on General Detecting Chatter

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 20:16
by max705