* Share it Around

Author Topic:  White's MX5 maiden run  (Read 210 times)

Offline tony

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    30%
    • I live in: Perth, WA
  • Likes Given: 9

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
White's MX5 maiden run
« on: August 21, 2017, 20:56 »
I gotta say that I am very impressed so far with the MX5. I managed a 6 hour hunt today and can't fault the machine.
It's well balanced and feels very solid plus the overall performance was excellent. Very stable ID numbers and locks on fast. Bottlecaps were easily identified by sweeping off centre over them....this pulls the ID into the negative numbers.
$1 coins hit on 72 and the $2 hit on 62. I tried a few screwcaps (whole and crushed) and was pleased to see these moved into the 74 range....I do expect to dig some of these as they can drift towards the $1 ID range.......same as most detectors from my experience, even $2000 machines.
Came away with $48 in goldies....plus the usual pulltabs as I dont want to miss any gold rings.
The MX5 has a very nice display, readable in sunlight !
I'm loving the tones, very crisp. There is very minor chatting in the DISC based threshold but this is not a negative at all and I was running sensitivity at 9/10.
Back out tomorrow for sure.....shoulder and arms are just fine :)
HH
Tony

PS...Probably could have doubled my gold coins if I was cherry picking but decided to spend some time with all targets.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 21:00 by tony »

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: White's MX5 maiden run
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40 »
What type of price range is the MX5 ?  We still see some of the old 600 series turn up in garage sales and they still work. Are coils are available aftermarket?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Likes Given: 2695

• Total Badges: 23
    Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:08 »
What type of price range is the MX5 ?  We still see some of the old 600 series turn up in garage sales and they still work. Are coils are available aftermarket?

Ray they are cheaper than the MX Sport , and the MXT , while using any coil suitable for the MXT range . Performance in my opinion is above their price bracket , a real sleeper in the market .

Good to see your doing well with it so far Tony
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline tony

• Copper

30%

Sixth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16 »
I snagged my unit (new) from the USA....from a dealer that was discontinuing the White's line (All up with shipping was $600 Aussie from the USA).... :)
Performance for general coin/jewellery is easily on par with the MXT (I believe very similar circuitry) but the reduced weight on the MX5 is most welcome.
I also picked up a near new Detech 6" DD for $100 and should have the Eclipse 5.3 for the same amount.
Tony
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX4500_Aquapulse AQ1B_Fisher CZ21_White's MX5

Offline tony

• Copper

30%

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 00:37 »
Loving this detector more and more.....just clicked over the $100 in goldies from three outings so it is 1/6 paid off :)
I'm finding the unit very stable and although it has the Quicktrack ground balancing, some very minor ground noise can creep in...the best solution for this is to pump the coil a few times and it runs smooth again.
Probably the most solid and reliable ID on the $1 and $2 coins for any detector I have owned previously, being 72 and 62 respectively. All of my screwcaps (so far) read at 74 or 75.
The 5.3 Eclipse coil is superb (I had one on my previous MXT)......almost no need for a separate pinpointer. I have tried the Detech 6" DD coil but the target ID isn't as precise as the concentric coils.
I will keep the DD coil for more mineralised ground.
Tony
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX4500_Aquapulse AQ1B_Fisher CZ21_White's MX5

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam