* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Advice on Pinpointers Requested  (Read 836 times)

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    3.33%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 2
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
Advice on Pinpointers Requested
« on: August 24, 2017, 17:51 »
Hi all.
I am looking to upgrade from my Vibra-Probe pinpointer as I am finding it big, bulky and irritating to use. It turns itself on if laid down and shuts off randomly, with just a quick pulse of vibration to warn you. Annoying when you are using it and don't realise that the last pulse was it shutting down, not reacting to a target. Also irritating when it is in the car and moves and turns on. I have to disconnect the battery after every use or it goes flat before I go out again unless I stand it up.

I can get the Minelab Pro-Find 25 for $185 or the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT for $250 locally and don't know enough to decide between them.
The waterproof feature of the Garrett would give me peace-of-mind, as I often end up getting soaked, either falling into creeks or getting rained on, both at work and while playing around.
The Minelab is a fair bit cheaper and has local (Australian) backup, so if something happens, it is not a big issue to send it in for repair.
The Garrett is dearer and I think it goes back to the US for any repairs, but I'm not 100% certain on that.
While I was leaning towards the cheaper Minelab unit, mainly for the price, its Australian and because I thought it would be awesome like my CTX 3030, a lot of the comparison videos I have been watching show that the Garrett has much better depth penetration in soil, even though the Minelab pointer quite often was much better in air tests. I don't think I will be detecting objects in the air often.

The price really has no bearing on my decision now, as I figure I only have to buy it once, unless I do something silly, and an extra $55 over the expected life of the device is a small amount if the Garrett is a better pointer.

My question is, has anyone here tried both in Australian conditions, and which is your preferred device?
I'm not talking about in the red mineralised soils where the gold hunters go, as I'm in Tassie and not likely to be able to go gold chasing on the mainland for a few years. I'll mostly be on the beaches or chasing coins and relics in soft wet sandy or clayey soils.
I have searched the site for a comparison, but only found a couple of threads asking similar questions to mine and one showing an air test comparison in the US.
All comments welcome.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, Minelab CTX3030

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Likes Given: 2870

• Total Badges: 23
    Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Advice on Pinpointers Requested
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 18:35 »
Gday Ravvin , Clegy posted a link on here a couple of weeks ago to a video in which he reviews a number of pinpointers . While it's a long vid. it does demonstrate each one quite well . I only have experience with Minelab/Detechnix and Whites TRX and can say that i find the TRX to be superior . It gets great depth and has been very wet many times . Longevity seems ok too , mine was one of the first batch into Aus and has had a flogging with no probs . Best of luck with your choice .

http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31575.0
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 20:55 by whitehunter »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline kg1

• Platinum

90%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1093

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 21:01 »
I'm still mystified as to why anyone would need a PP.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:25 »
No way of fanning a couple of inchs of soil from a dry target kg1. They make target recovery in a park far quicker and less noticeable.
I use an old black Garrett which works well but i also have a cheap Land and Sea i purchased from Clegy. It works ok but i am not a fan of duel buttons and lots of options. Just what you get used to i suppose. My black Garrett interfers with my 5000 and it has to be carried in a shielded holster.
Someone will mention which pinpointers are repairable.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

63.33%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 97

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 08:51 »
I to prefer the Black Garrett switch on/off pinpointer, had one since Jan. 2009 never missed a beat.

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Likes Given: 15

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04 »
This is why you need a pinpointer KG. Speed and  precise removal and none of these. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

90%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1093

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 20:19 »
This is why you need a pinpointer KG. Speed and  precise removal and none of these.

I bow to the wisdom of wiser heads.

As such, I took on your advise many years ago and haven't dug a hole on land since but instead opted for your method and learnt to pinpoint accurately and then pop the target to the surface using a probe. I still remember the pic of your probe and the forceps back when you were an Xterra 70 fan.
Holes are not an issue in the water and with a bit of experience one easily picks even the smallest of targets.....shape, colour, size....
So clearly I am on my own in my disdain for PPs and as such I defer to the collective wisdom of my peers. 

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

93.33%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Likes Given: 231

• Total Badges: 13
    Rising Sun Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 21:34 »
Hi Ravv
I have a Minelab Pro Find 25 and a Garrett Pro Pointer II
I have to tell you the Garrett has better detection range and is louder/vibrates more.
The Garrett did stop working after 6 months but Garrett Australia replaced it no questions asked.
I love the Garrett. But thats just me.
quote author=Ravvin link=topic=31762.msg315804#msg315804 date=1503561085]
Hi all.
I am looking to upgrade from my Vibra-Probe pinpointer as I am finding it big, bulky and irritating to use. It turns itself on if laid down and shuts off randomly, with just a quick pulse of vibration to warn you. Annoying when you are using it and don't realise that the last pulse was it shutting down, not reacting to a target. Also irritating when it is in the car and moves and turns on. I have to disconnect the battery after every use or it goes flat before I go out again unless I stand it up.

I can get the Minelab Pro-Find 25 for $185 or the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT for $250 locally and don't know enough to decide between them.
The waterproof feature of the Garrett would give me peace-of-mind, as I often end up getting soaked, either falling into creeks or getting rained on, both at work and while playing around.
The Minelab is a fair bit cheaper and has local (Australian) backup, so if something happens, it is not a big issue to send it in for repair.
The Garrett is dearer and I think it goes back to the US for any repairs, but I'm not 100% certain on that.
While I was leaning towards the cheaper Minelab unit, mainly for the price, its Australian and because I thought it would be awesome like my CTX 3030, a lot of the comparison videos I have been watching show that the Garrett has much better depth penetration in soil, even though the Minelab pointer quite often was much better in air tests. I don't think I will be detecting objects in the air often.

The price really has no bearing on my decision now, as I figure I only have to buy it once, unless I do something silly, and an extra $55 over the expected life of the device is a small amount if the Garrett is a better pointer.

My question is, has anyone here tried both in Australian conditions, and which is your preferred device?
I'm not talking about in the red mineralised soils where the gold hunters go, as I'm in Tassie and not likely to be able to go gold chasing on the mainland for a few years. I'll mostly be on the beaches or chasing coins and relics in soft wet sandy or clayey soils.
I have searched the site for a comparison, but only found a couple of threads asking similar questions to mine and one showing an air test comparison in the US.
All comments welcome.
[/quote]
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge  ;D
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna
1902 Rising Sun Badge

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

6.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 22:10 »
Howdy,
 I have the Deteknix and find it great. I had to have mine repaired under warrranty which was done in Aus quickly and well. Is fully waterproof . I like the fact that I can alter the sensitivity. It comes with a lanyard and holster with belt loop. Just down the road if you want to have a look at it.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline John-au

• Silver

13.33%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 161

• Total Badges: 40
    Rams Head Shilling Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 23:33 »
I use the Land and Sea from Clegy and it does the job, 4 levels of sensitivity and waterproof - not that I have tested it under water though.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

33.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 1306

• Total Badges: 30
    5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 06:31 »
Just like detector models really.  Just go with a reliable brand as they all will do the work for you.  I detected years without a pin pointer but since getting one about 8 years ago I cant go out without one.  It has speeded up my recovery time by about 50% I think.  I have the Whites, Minelab and both Garrett models. Personally I like the Garret but as I stated all are worthy.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 760

• Total Badges: 34
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 07:48 »
I have had the black Garrett for a few years but it dosn't work very well now , that's why I bought the Garrett Carrot but it stopped working altogether a while back , I sent it back a couple months ago & they replaced it no probs , but now the new one don't always  work either , some times i have to turn it off & restart it as it hasn't picked up a signal , Gazza .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Likes Given: 15

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24 »
I have had the Pistol Probe P.I. Pinpointer since 28/6/2007 and it has not missed a beep. 2 9 volt batteries and excellent depth... 
Beeepppnnn.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

3.33%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 7
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 12:53 »
I purchased a Land & Sea from Clegy. Works Great.
I find that it helps when coin/beach hunting. Helps reduce the time taken to recover the find.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

33.33%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1596

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 13:31 »
They all have pros and cons and SOME are just way too expensive for what they are..
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline 14FNX

• Copper

96.67%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Likes Given: 51

• Total Badges: 13
    Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 14:37 »
I purchased a Land & Sea from Clegy. Works Great.
I find that it helps when coin/beach hunting. Helps reduce the time taken to recover the find.
I have just bought one, too.  Waiting for it to be despatched.  I plan to use it down the beach. When(?) it arrives, I'll give it a reshot and report back.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use to own: GoldSeeker 15000, Ace 150, BH Tracker IV, Now own: E-trac, X-Terra 705, Excalibur II, Land & Sea PinPointer, Bounty Hunter PinPointer, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Find; 1470’s Spanish coin.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam