* Share it Around

Author Topic:  $1 and $2 coin ID numbers  (Read 503 times)

Offline tony

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    33.33%
    • I live in: Perth, WA
  • Likes Given: 9

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
$1 and $2 coin ID numbers
« on: August 28, 2017, 16:21 »
Is it normal for there to be a range in target ID's of very new and shiny "goldies" when compared to the older and dull ones?
An example is an old and dull 1985 $1 coin which reads as 67. A newer and much shinier 2016 $1 coin reads 70 and sometimes 72.
I have learnt that the composition has remained unchanged over the years.
Thanks,
Tony
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX4500_Aquapulse AQ1B_Fisher CZ21_White's MX5

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

70%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: $1 and $2 coin ID numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 20:09 »
Hi Tony.
On my Whites v3i  the $2 coins vdi  54, 55,  $1 56, 57, 58, 59, 60. It could be they are a bit wonky with their composition. And their is some fake $2 coins around .  You just have to  dig the varied vdis up other wise  you will be leaving them for someone else. I use mixed mode and program the discrimination in to except all vdi dropping 95 so accepting -95 through to +94 And then accept all the 5, 10, 20. 50. $1 & $2
By giving each a tone only on the vdi of each coin so if you hit a 5 cent coin you will get distinct tone and all other targets are blocked out only the tone of our 6 coins will be heard With 1 & 2 cents blocked out.
Regards Beeepppnnn.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 21:10 by beepn »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline tony

• Copper

33.33%

Sixth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 14:29 »
Thanks Ray,
So basically, the shinier and smoother the coin the higher it will read (coin for coin)......encourages stronger eddy currents.

Offline tony

• Copper

33.33%

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 16:08 »
Just swept over a 100 different $1 and $2 coins.
Every $2 coin (all dates) read either 60 or 62
Every $1 coin (except the 1985) read either 70 or 72. The older $1 coin read 67.
Pretty happy with that actually....this is for the White's MX5.
Tony

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Likes Given: 2689

• Total Badges: 23
    Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 20:27 »
I dig everything between 67 and 74 with the MX 5 and MXT , have had some some funny numbers come up trumps like the time i found no less than 6 $1 coins sitting on top of each other ! Readout was in the 80's but was too good a signal to ignore .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

70%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:40 »
A few other things tony that have a sway on the vdi of a target the age of the coin attacked by the soil, angle of the coin lying in the ground , near other targets, and the depth of the coin. There is some many things that do pop up in this metal detecting hobby.

Regards Beeepppnnn. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline tony

• Copper

33.33%

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 21:13 »
I dig everything between 67 and 74 with the MX 5 and MXT , have had some some funny numbers come up trumps like the time i found no less than 6 $1 coins sitting on top of each other ! Readout was in the 80's but was too good a signal to ignore .

Don't the $2 read as 62 on your MX5....this is with the stock concentric coil.....hope you are not leaving the $2 coins for Ray.... ;D

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%

Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 21:34 »
Don't the $2 read as 62 on your MX5....this is with the stock concentric coil.....hope you are not leaving the $2 coins for Ray.... ;D

Sounds like Ray is fairly deadly !  I am using the Eclipse 6x10 coil on the MXT and a Mars sniper on the MX 5 . Those numbers seem to work for me , i hope i am not leaving any too ! I notice your machine is reading $1 coins at 70-72 , my MXT reads 72-74 on those with 75 always being junk . I have not done much goldie hunting with the MX 5 yet and what i have done has been on the beach in wet sand  , now you have me worried , will probably do some testing tomorrow . I don't have the standard concentric for the MX 5 .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline tony

• Copper

33.33%

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 00:19 »
You should be fine...I see you are using a DD coil on the MX5 which give different numbers to a concentric...

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 20:21 »
Gday Tony , did some testing today and all i can say is , wow different coils make a difference ! I hadn't really thought about that much so when i tested the MX 5 with the Mars Sniper coil fitted today the learning curve went up . You get 70/72 for a $1 coin with your setup , i get a rock solid 74 out to 6 inches no matter what attitude the coin is in . I won't dig coins any deeper than 6 inches in public grassed areas and then only when the ground is really wet . The big difference was the $2 coin , you read 60/62 . My setup gives 67 at 5 to 6 inches deep and shallower than 4 inches locks in at 70/72 !  Fully 10 points difference with another coil . And these numbers get shaky when the coin gets on edge , surface area ? I suppose this is old hat to the blokes that have been doing this for years but to me as a bit of a beep and dig bloke it was an eye opener , especially as the MX 5 is reputed to be built on the MXT platform with a rumored extra bit of power being sent to the coil . A lesson for me out of this is assume nothing and test every coil for purpose . By the way , nice work getting a $100 up already , a good day here is about 10/12 bucks but usually 4 or 5 $  so plenty of my hunts to equal a few of yours . Good hunting .    

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

50%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 47

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 14:39 »
Gday Tony , did some testing today and all i can say is , wow different coils make a difference ! I hadn't really thought about that much so when i tested the MX 5 with the Mars Sniper coil fitted today the learning curve went up . You get 70/72 for a $1 coin with your setup , i get a rock solid 74 out to 6 inches no matter what attitude the coin is in . I won't dig coins any deeper than 6 inches in public grassed areas and then only when the ground is really wet . The big difference was the $2 coin , you read 60/62 . My setup gives 67 at 5 to 6 inches deep and shallower than 4 inches locks in at 70/72 !  Fully 10 points difference with another coil . And these numbers get shaky when the coin gets on edge , surface area ? I suppose this is old hat to the blokes that have been doing this for years but to me as a bit of a beep and dig bloke it was an eye opener , especially as the MX 5 is reputed to be built on the MXT platform with a rumored extra bit of power being sent to the coil . A lesson for me out of this is assume nothing and test every coil for purpose . By the way , nice work getting a $100 up already , a good day here is about 10/12 bucks but usually 4 or 5 $  so plenty of my hunts to equal a few of yours . Good hunting .   

Half your luck WH. My last two hunts have yielded a total of 60c :D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Craig

• Copper

20%
    • I live in: gold coast
  • Likes Given: 2

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 17:25 »
My thoughts,I think it all depends on is the coin laying flat or on an slope in the ground,different angles different I'd numbers.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Infinium, ace 250,bounty hunter sharpshooter bounty hunter platinum, tracker iv,Tesoro u max, Tesoro cibola with cleansweep ,Tesoro sand shark mine lab ctx,whites beach hunter,vibra pro 750
  • Oldest find: 1882

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything