* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Bad bad bad PR  (Read 955 times)

Offline bicter

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    30%
    • I live in: Mutdapilly, QLD, 4307
  • Likes Given: 40

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
Bad bad bad PR
« on: September 01, 2017, 15:21 »
This article speaks for itself.
https://m.qt.com.au/news/needless-damage-anger-over-treatment-of-sports-fie/3218554/
We will all be tarred with the same brush due to ignorant people that can't read and obey the private property and keep out signs.
To say I'm pissed off is an understatement as the majority of my detecting is carried out around Ipswich. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence

Offline gldfvr

• Copper

6.67%
    • I live in: NE Vic
  • Likes Given: 17

• Total Badges: 25
    Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Roo Penny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Fourth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Re: Bad bad bad PR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 15:29 »
If they find out who it is they should be named and shamed , as well as repairing the damage done .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter DE280 . Whites Coinmaster 6000D . Tesoro Diablo II . Minelab Sterling .Minelab GT16000 . Garrett Infinium LS . Garrett Pro-Pointer . Minelab X-Terra 705 .
  • Oldest find: 1851 Half Soveriegn

Offline Justafisho

• Bronze

46.67%
  • Likes Given: 229

• Total Badges: 19
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 17:01 »
There is a fertiliser about that has small bits of metal in it. It makes detecting almost impossible. I've come across it in paddocks before. They need some of that, in fact I'm heading to the area  tomorrow I might find out what it is and pas it on to them. Unfortunately there is always an element that will jump fences and break laws. I'm constantly surprised at just who actually will jump fences.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 1436

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24 »
Okay, might ruffle a few feathers, but here goes...

Firstly, it wasn't me.  I do know the area and have detected there a few years ago.  Haven't been there recently, but to my knowledge there are no fences, and as the article alludes, you really wouldn't pick it as private propery, it really does look like a council park.

However, common sense takes over when you detect a site like this. There are plenty of 'rough' areas around the peripherals of the main grounds to keep most happy, no need at all to go onto the main manicured areas.  You should be able to leave a site like this with absolutely no evidence you've ever been there. 

Obviously, as is becoming more common, someone with poor technique and/or a blatant disregard about long term consequences, has taken the easy path for short term gain.  It really pisses me off too.

I'll put my hand up and say I'm not a deadset stickler for the rules, I'll take an opportunity when I see one, but I never damage property in this way and have been successfully flying 'under the radar' for many years now.  Purely and simply, common sense must dictate what we do.  It's a shame that some people just don't have any....

Sambo
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:26 by Sambo »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 80

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 12:00 »
Is there any evidence that it was prospectors (as in plural) or are they just guessing and jumping to conclusions. ???

There are ways to be sure  one is not falsely accusing someone/body.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Likes Given: 1238

• Total Badges: 39
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:25 »
As more and more people come into the hobby and do not join forums such as this to learn a bit of etiquette then there will be more and more instances.

It'd be nice for MD sellers/manufacturers to perhaps include a leaflet with a few central do's and don'ts.  Perhaps some do already??? 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer, GPX5000
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

50%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 47

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 14:36 »
As more and more people come into the hobby and do not join forums such as this to learn a bit of etiquette then there will be more and more instances.

It'd be nice for MD sellers/manufacturers to perhaps include a leaflet with a few central do's and don'ts.  Perhaps some do already???

All the detectors I have bought ( funny that I was only going to ever buy 1 :D  ) have the rules and etiquette in the instruction manual. Stupid place to put it really, after all who reads those things  ;)
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 628

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 15:29 »
Minelab was paying the joining fee for the PMAV 3 or 4 years ago i think. A good start for info and hints.
 I had a bloke ring me today for info on how to find the goldfields. I asked where he was and all he could tell me was he was in a Chinese shop in Bendigo. He had made his way from Gippsland without knowing where to go. Ebay detector and no idea on how to set it up.  These are the blokes who will detect on private property because they don't know any better.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

30%

Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 16:39 »

Firstly, it wasn't me.  I do know the area and have detected there a few years ago.  Haven't been there recently, but to my knowledge there are no fences, and as the article alludes, you really wouldn't pick it as private propery, it really does look like a council park.

However, common sense takes over when you detect a site like this. There are plenty of 'rough' areas around the peripherals of the main grounds to keep most happy, no need at all to go onto the main manicured areas.  You should be able to leave a site like this with absolutely no evidence you've ever been there.  

Obviously, as is becoming more common, someone with poor technique and/or a blatant disregard about long term consequences, has taken the easy path for short term gain.  It really pisses me off too.

I'll put my hand up and say I'm not a deadset stickler for the rules, I'll take an opportunity when I see one, but I never damage property in this way and have been successfully flying 'under the radar' for many years now.  Purely and simply, common sense must dictate what we do.  It's a shame that some people just don't have any....

Sambo
Sambo, 

I'm the same as you, have been in for a swing a couple of years ago but wasn't too excited with the results.
The area has been fenced for at least as long as I've lived in the area (3 years) and does have private property  and keep out signs.  Hmmm, just had a quick look on street view and can't see the signs that I recall being io the main road but they are existing at the end joyce st
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

100%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Likes Given: 164

• Total Badges: 12
    Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 22:43 »
I agree with you too Sambo.
With care and diligence we can detect anywhere without leaving any discernable damage.
A quality detector, a pinpointer and a screwdriver leave little or no marks in manicured areas. I have demonstarated this method a couple of times to Rangers and Landowners and been allowed to detect in some great areas. This is one of the reasons why i have been allowed to detect in the caravan/camping spotsrecently.
I really think this is the work of either someone young and impatient or someone who has brought a cheap detector from somewher like ALDI.

Firstly, it wasn't me.  I do know the area and have detected there a few years ago.  Haven't been there recently, but to my knowledge there are no fences, and as the article alludes, you really wouldn't pick it as private propery, it really does look like a council park.

However, common sense takes over when you detect a site like this. There are plenty of 'rough' areas around the peripherals of the main grounds to keep most happy, no need at all to go onto the main manicured areas.  You should be able to leave a site like this with absolutely no evidence you've ever been there.  

Obviously, as is becoming more common, someone with poor technique and/or a blatant disregard about long term consequences, has taken the easy path for short term gain.  It really pisses me off too.

I'll put my hand up and say I'm not a deadset stickler for the rules, I'll take an opportunity when I see one, but I never damage property in this way and have been successfully flying 'under the radar' for many years now.  Purely and simply, common sense must dictate what we do.  It's a shame that some people just don't have any....

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge....please
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna

Offline tassie

• Copper

90%
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 09:58 »

I'm new to the hobby and still awaiting delivery of my first detector. I joined this forum specifically to learn from experts such things as etiquette, tips, tools, etc. before my first outing.

Online ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Crew
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Likes Given: 1498

• Total Badges: 37
    Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 10:28 »
Is there any other photos with the article ?

The photo shown could relate to varied reasons why that divot has occurred .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .
Anywhere , Everywhere , Nowhere & 
Somewhere are the same place  !!

Offline Justafisho

• Bronze

46.67%
  • Likes Given: 229

• Total Badges: 19
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 15:16 »
I had no idea what vigoro was until I googled it. Strange sounding sport. Very small player group. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline Mossop

• Copper

100%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 93

• Total Badges: 25
    Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 21:55 »
Its a pity that people are prepared to do this, especially on areas that are obviously looked after quite well. I personally can't stand anyone making a mess, whether it be in a park, fishing garbage left behind on the rocks or anywhere.

I am not highly experienced, but with a decent tool can cut a nice plug and put it back so its almost indiscernible. I have been back a week or 2 after detecting and have not been able to tell where the holes were I dug.

Doesn't take much. Same sort of people who leave bait bags on the rocks, bottles on the ground and beer cartons full of rubbish at roadside stops.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300
  • Oldest find: Shotgun cartridge end - 1897-1927, 1912 C'wealth penny
I wanna to find stuff older than I am . . . . . .

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

26.67%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29 »
How do we know this news report is true and it was caused by somebody with a MD ?
For all we know it could have been a wombat, or a rabid greenie just out to spoil somebody's fun.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 80

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 16:00 »
Is it an advertising for Escape Travel.

Perhaps there is a degree of Munchausen syndrome.?..... the media is always happy to report a story without knowing the truth... just ask the current 2017 President of USA.

"they are upset at the way certain visitors have treated their playing fields"

We had the same trouble in a particular open park in Townsville many years ago, lost of different sports were played there.
It was expected that metal detector users were responsible, until one park inspector observed a golfer in action practicing his excavating club swings.

ivanll

Offline bicter

• Bronze

30%

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 20:00 »
How do we know this news report is true and it was caused by somebody with a MD ?
For all we know it could have been a wombat, or a rabid greenie just out to spoil somebody's fun.
Regardless,
The news report has been published and the public image has been damaged already!

Offline Trigon

• Copper

6.67%
    • I live in: Epping Victoria
  • Likes Given: 19

• Total Badges: 18
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 10:30 »
If I was closer I would go help fix it. Doesn't matter what rabid animal did it, were being pointed at, and I dont think any of us want that.  Set up camera traps and get the dingo that did it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter, x-pointer, xterra 705,Tesoro Sandshark
  • Oldest find: 1885 Token

Offline bicter

• Bronze

30%

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 17:05 »
If I was closer I would go help fix it. Doesn't matter what rabid animal did it, were being pointed at, and I dont think any of us want that.  Set up camera traps and get the dingo that did it.
If I was at home I'd consider it but atm am driving to Perth for 6 week holiday. Currently approaching Cocklebiddy.

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

16.67%
  • Likes Given: 703

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11 »
If I was closer I would go help fix it. Doesn't matter what rabid animal did it, were being pointed at, and I dont think any of us want that. Set up camera traps and get the dingo that did it.

never mind.. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:17 by maat »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

40%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1558

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 18:28 »
Had a few calls from Ipswich Council - Apparently a few people have taken to saying they have Club permission to detect some places, when they get pulled up.

We have advised the Council that the BMDC does not have any permission as such to detect and recover in their parks and to treat any such claims as rubbish and to apply what ever penalties may apply.

Not only do they like to advertise their poor skills but think it is good to drag a reg club down in the dirt as well.
Mark
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline douglas

• Copper

20%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Likes Given: 100

• Total Badges: 8
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 19:35 »
What is wrong with people, it seems this hobby has attracted the chest beating I can do anything I like, types lately, I'm getting very sick of the crap that is going on, had a heritage park raped near me not long ago for a few coins that are near worthless except for scrap value and it doesn't seem the people are remotely concerned with history or doing the right thing.
More interested in promoting what detector they use and seeking accolades from other people

Offline Trigon

• Copper

6.67%
    • I live in: Epping Victoria
  • Likes Given: 19

• Total Badges: 18
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 20:26 »
Good reminder for me. You guys have not heard from me for ages. I just moved into a little town (and mum has a to do list a mile long) but I have run the detector over the front yard. I got a 1901 first Parliament medal which I promised to the local historical society. There open tomorrow so have to made a special trip in. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter, x-pointer, xterra 705,Tesoro Sandshark
  • Oldest find: 1885 Token

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

30%
    • I live in: Illawarra, NSW
  • Likes Given: 175

• Total Badges: 37
    2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 14:19 »
What is wrong with people, it seems this hobby has attracted the chest beating I can do anything I like, types lately, I'm getting very sick of the crap that is going on, had a heritage park raped near me not long ago for a few coins that are near worthless except for scrap value and it doesn't seem the people are remotely concerned with history or doing the right thing.
More interested in promoting what detector they use and seeking accolades from other people

Agree Douglas, the Facebook detecting pages are full of the new macho detectorists out to impress their 'bro' mates. Night digging seems to encouraged - there is a reason these guys only dig at night. One bloke even had the hide to complain about being kicked out of a school playground DURING school hours! I see damage everywhere I go now. NSW is bone dry at present yet people are still digging plugs in parks and ovals. We have always had dickheads in the hobby but the ratio of dickheads is sadly increasing.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Cibola & Minelab Etrac
  • Oldest find: Spanish 2 Reale - from between 1760 - 1771

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 14:42 »
Some of us not so bad guys mostly dig at night for several legitimate reasons. For me personally I work full time and have kids so my only free time to swing is at night.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything