* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Sand scoop hole size?  (Read 362 times)

Offline tassie

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 2
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
Sand scoop hole size?
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:29 »
I asked about sand sifting in a topic area that was in the incorrect area, so copied the response here:
Scoop is what I think you are trying to say :D . Depends how serious and flexible you are . My first one was just a plastic scoop from a hardware store with the holes in it drilled by me.  I made them as big as I could without letting a 3d  ( smallest coin I know of) fall through.
I now have a stainless steel brute made by a member who no longer makes them I think. On a shovel handle which means I don't have to bend but is quite a physical exercise which has nothing to do with my age ;) .
Thanked Tasrog on the other topic, but now have another related question:
What size holes are people using on their self made scoops? Are other people also making them as large as possible without a 3d fall through and if not, what else are you hoping to catch? What size is a 3d anyway!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ordered, awaiting a bh tracker 4

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

73.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 421

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: Sand scoop hole size?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46 »
When I cut and drilled the plastic Cyclone shovel for the beach the threepence was the smallest target I didn't want getting away.
Ear studs, small sinkers and the like do drive you mad sometimes but that`s the game we play.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX
  • Oldest find: 1873 Vicky Shilling

Offline Mossop

• Copper

90%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 129

• Total Badges: 28
    Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Rams Head Shilling 100 Posts Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 18:00 »
When I cut and drilled the plastic Cyclone shovel for the beach the threepence was the smallest target I didn't want getting away.
Ear studs, small sinkers and the like do drive you mad sometimes but that`s the game we play.

Smallest target I found on a beach was the broken end off a staple - one of the small ones. . . . . .it slipped through the stainless scoop a few times before I found it!!!!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300, Garrett Ace400i
  • Oldest find: 1875 Victoria penny!!!
I wanna AM to find finding stuff older than I am . . . . . .

Offline tassie

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 21:43 »
Might go for 14mm then as my drilling skills will likely add 2 or 3 mm's anyway...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ordered, awaiting a bh tracker 4

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam