* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . .  (Read 209 times)

Offline Mossop

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 93

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary
Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . .
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:32 »
First hunt in a fortnight due to work getting in the way. Tougher going than the last few weeks, though I did score a halfpenny in the first hole I dug, followed by a sixpence later on.
Swapped spots to a park I'd had an eye on that had obviously had a going over previously - badly healed plugs and targets left on the surface were the major signs. However, it doesn't appear that they did a comprehensive job.
A few feet from one of their holes, I pulled another Rising Sun!!! Like, wow - its like waiting for a bus . . . . 3 years detecting without one, then 2 in 3 hunts!! Not in anywhere as good a nick as the first one, but special just the same.
In the same park, I pulled the American equivalent of a BB - a Stinkin' Lincoln (Hoover Boys anyone?) . . . . a 1957, so there has to be some pre-decs hiding somewhere. Only had an hour, so I will be going back - easy digging too.
I also managed a new first - digging a deep target in ground that was easily pulled by hand, I managed a handful of very large and very alive wolf spider!!! I think he was a tad non-plussed, as he basically just crawled up there onto my plug and watched proceedings. I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that both parties survived unharmed . . . . no photo of the spider.
I wanna to find stuff older than I am . . . . . .

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Atherton Tablelands, Utopia, FNQ
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 127

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22 »
Well Done you ~ Mossop ~ on the US coin and the RS ~ 

I  remember ~ when I first started out  ~ Could not find a live  bullet or a Rising Sun for love nor money ~ 

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX 3030 + Garrett AT Pro ~ Noktar Pin Pointer.
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1887 Jubilee Maltese Cross + 1863 Penny ~( "Quite a few " ~ Rising Suns ) ~

Offline Mossop

• Copper

100%

Rising Sun Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny 50 Posts Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny Third year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 18:03 »
No live bullets yet, though I picked up a spent .303 shell and a shell casing that had been mangled on the bullet end, presumable by a mower from the same park as the above. The firing cap hadn't been struck, so maybe it started as a live drop.

I also found some of those pre-decs I knew had to be there.

First one came as I turned the detector on beside the car!! Put it on the ground and it went off. Penny, h'penny and a couple of threepences, so there are definitely some still there. I'm yet to land a shilling, so that would be cool, as would some more florins (I only have one).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300
  • Oldest find: Shotgun cartridge end - 1897-1927, 1912 C'wealth penny

Offline StuartSS-Werkin

• Copper
  • Stuart SS (in cognito ~ from Work station )

36.67%
  • Likes Given: 9

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 22:22 »
LOL
Mate ~ the  pre-decimals will all be there ~ Seems the   Diggers had  very religious pockets as they seemed to be  very 'Holy'~  

Some times it seems that Florins are easier to come by then  the shillings ~ Maybe the  shillings  were  simply  a rarer  coin ~  Also  could be  the  Diggers  were paid with Florins  much  more in loose change than the  humble Shilling ~ ??

Good  luck  You ~

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

100%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Likes Given: 164

• Total Badges: 12
    Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 22:29 »
I agree Stu, the shillings definitly are the rarest whatever the reason is.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge....please
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna

Offline Mossop

• Copper

100%

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 22:58 »
Well that's good to know guys, though I have to say the florins are pretty rare too at the moment!!!

I must be doing the right things though, as I have dug 10 silvers (6 threepences, 3 sixpences and a florin) and 30-odd pennies and ha'pennies in the last few weeks after never sighting one in the previous 3 years.

Now in planning mode to try and get into the 19th century.

My quiet ambition is to actually collect all of Australia's monarchs . . . . . .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300
  • Oldest find: Shotgun cartridge end - 1897-1927, 1912 C'wealth penny

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything