Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting

Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting Forum

* Share it Around

Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . (Read 525 times)
First hunt in a fortnight due to work getting in the way. Tougher going than the last few weeks, though I did score a halfpenny in the first hole I dug, followed by a sixpence later on.
Swapped spots to a park I'd had an eye on that had obviously had a going over previously - badly healed plugs and targets left on the surface were the major signs. However, it doesn't appear that they did a comprehensive job.
A few feet from one of their holes, I pulled another Rising Sun!!! Like, wow - its like waiting for a bus . . . . 3 years detecting without one, then 2 in 3 hunts!! Not in anywhere as good a nick as the first one, but special just the same.
In the same park, I pulled the American equivalent of a BB - a Stinkin' Lincoln (Hoover Boys anyone?) . . . . a 1957, so there has to be some pre-decs hiding somewhere. Only had an hour, so I will be going back - easy digging too.
I also managed a new first - digging a deep target in ground that was easily pulled by hand, I managed a handful of very large and very alive wolf spider!!! I think he was a tad non-plussed, as he basically just crawled up there onto my plug and watched proceedings. I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that both parties survived unharmed . . . . no photo of the spider.
I wanna AM to find finding stuff older than I am . . . . . .

Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22
Well Done you ~ Mossop ~ on the US coin and the RS ~ 

I  remember ~ when I first started out  ~ Could not find a live  bullet or a Rising Sun for love nor money ~ 

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX 3030 + Garrett AT Pro ~ Noktar Pin Pointer.
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1887 Jubilee Maltese Cross + 1863 Penny ~( "Quite a few " ~ Rising Suns ) ~

Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 18:03
No live bullets yet, though I picked up a spent .303 shell and a shell casing that had been mangled on the bullet end, presumable by a mower from the same park as the above. The firing cap hadn't been struck, so maybe it started as a live drop.

I also found some of those pre-decs I knew had to be there.

First one came as I turned the detector on beside the car!! Put it on the ground and it went off. Penny, h'penny and a couple of threepences, so there are definitely some still there. I'm yet to land a shilling, so that would be cool, as would some more florins (I only have one).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300, Garrett Ace400i
  • Oldest find: 1875 Victoria penny!!!

Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 22:22
LOL
Mate ~ the  pre-decimals will all be there ~ Seems the   Diggers had  very religious pockets as they seemed to be  very 'Holy'~  

Some times it seems that Florins are easier to come by then  the shillings ~ Maybe the  shillings  were  simply  a rarer  coin ~  Also  could be  the  Diggers  were paid with Florins  much  more in loose change than the  humble Shilling ~ ??

Good  luck  You ~

Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 22:29
I agree Stu, the shillings definitly are the rarest whatever the reason is.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge  ;D
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna
1902 Rising Sun Badge

Re: Stinkin' Lincoln, the wolf and the Rising Sun . . . . Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 22:58
Well that's good to know guys, though I have to say the florins are pretty rare too at the moment!!!

I must be doing the right things though, as I have dug 10 silvers (6 threepences, 3 sixpences and a florin) and 30-odd pennies and ha'pennies in the last few weeks after never sighting one in the previous 3 years.

Now in planning mode to try and get into the 19th century.

My quiet ambition is to actually collect all of Australia's monarchs . . . . . .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab SDC-2300, Garrett Ace400i
  • Oldest find: 1875 Victoria penny!!!

xx
Rising Sun sizes?

Started by DigDig on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 15:36
by DigDig
xx
The rising sun badge

Started by douglas on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 06:13