* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Why the Anger  (Read 165 times)

Offline Oceandog

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Likes Given: 166

• Total Badges: 12
    Badges: (View All)
    Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin 10 Posts First Post
Why the Anger
« on: Yesterday at 11:57 AM »
As a relative new comer to this hobby i am surprised by the amount of vitriol and venom displayed toward the different detectors on the market. Sure we all want to think that we have bought the best detector we could, but does it make it your choice any better if you bag the oppostion? What message is being sent to people new to the hobbby when they join our forum with their shiny new detector only to read a post about how useless there new toy is because soemthing else has arrived on the market or machine xyz has been updated. There are thousands of item being found by hundreds of machines so it seems to me they all work just fine. Of course new detectors are going to show up with new and better features which does mean all detectors will eventually be outdated.
But lets just all enjoy our hobby and be happy with what weve got. In closing wiser men than me have said in the past "its not what you've got but how you use it".
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge....please
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%
  • Likes Given: 683

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
Re: Why the Anger
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:39 PM »
That's what she said!! Hahaha,
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline douglas

• Copper

23.33%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Likes Given: 105

• Total Badges: 8
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:54 PM »
Its simple first we have the the sellers who to make a living selling the machines who will tell you anything to suck in the newbies and tell you this detector will do everything.

Then you have the detectorsists that will do anything to try and get a detector for nothing, or discounted, and will stop at nothing to back up claims and find roman coins, sovereigns, Bronze Age broaches and Saxon coins at 9 feet under the soil in heavily mineralised ground.

This is closely followed by the person who wants to be  famous, the best detecorist in Australia, who everyone will admire and they will get flooded with requests from manufacturers to test their machine as long as they give great reviews

Then you have the newbies, look what I found on eBay, sorry my local park and seek accolades from the rest of the detector community who know no better and a lot of back slapping and cheering goes on

Next is the person who contributes nothing, is usually a guest on most forums trying to locate other peoples sites to rape and pillage from bits of information like photos or references to localities

You then have the park and playground destroyer who normally doesn't have a good machine doesn't care where he or her detects and leaves craters everywhere and when challenged get on their high horse and start abusing people

You then have the serious detectorsist who finds good items likes history and helps everyone out and does a lot of research and generally you would never know they have been to a site, but they still risk prosecution under the heritage acts, but do so for the love of the hobby

Then you have the serious detectorsist who helps out on forums, has woken up to the fact that posting their finds on forums only leads to other people thinking they can make a living or finding treasures everyday and so don't post much

Lastley there are good operators, who have been burnt on forums, and they are usually some of the best in Australia, who find heaps don't post, but share their knowledge with like minded people in small groups, these are usually people who have been detecting for a long time and seen it all

So you can see its not just as easy as to say everyone to get along, and why their is so much division in the hobby, and as far as detectors go my best advice is find one that talks to you and you can understand, and then go out and have fun
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:24 PM by douglas »

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

46.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1561

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:20 PM »
Douglas  - I agree 110%  But when I say the same many call me Negative...  Pfttttt

I am more a realist and the sad fact is that may are in it for the wrong reasons...   For me it is a Hobby and gets me out and about (Exercise) and can some times be a bit cost neutral..   Until a new machine comes out.  But cheaper than a Gym.

An unless people are donating their finds to a Museum or other such public place where they can be displayed AND info about the finds included etc THEN you are not saving history but amassing a private collection.   

I also like Electronics and  other mechanical stuff; so happy to assist / lend a hand in repairs etc.   BUT even that can be a PITA as some have little or no understanding of teh Time or Costs that go into an after market repair...  So these days it is by personal contact or introduction where I may assist.   And if you bite me even once...  Do not come asking again :-) 

I have a couple of permissions that I have maintained and retained only by telling NO ONE...   I actually need help on one AND guess what.........   Almost impossible to name any local contacts that I feel could be trusted 100%.    Has taken  3 years plus to the owners trust and still on a knife edge due to the behaviour of others previously...  And one wrong word and it would be lost...

So I post infrequently and often about stuff etc that has little to do with my finds...   

A shame but that is the way it is today...

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 581

• Total Badges: 34
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:54 PM »
Well it is a hobby to me . I have tried a few detectors & I will stick to my AT pro It works for me I enjoy detecting & call it saving history or a private collection it dosn't matter as I enjoy finding old stuff  I enjoy getting out in the bush , be it a couple hours or an over nighter , it is the thrill of finding some thing old that would have just ended up corroding away never to be seen again . Being outdoors & doing what I want to do ! I don't do it for the $ thats for sure , would rather pick up a penny than a dollar any day  Gazza .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

10%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1127

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:51 PM »
Douglas ya forgot the '' treasure hunter " just looking for gold & other shiny bits & bobs ;D

• Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline Sneaky

• Copper

76.67%
    • I live in: Butler
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 3
    Roo Penny 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:05 PM »
Oceandog, there's some sage words above, take heart from the fact that the behaviours described are NOT limited to detecting forums, they abound anywhere a keyboard warrior can hide behind anonymity whilst spouting his/her particular brand of vitriol.

Take the good advice when it's offered (I've only been on this forum a few weeks but I see good advice regularly handed out for free), take the opinions for what they are (as my dad used to say "opinions are like ar$3holes, everyone has got one...).

When it comes to ANY piece of equipment, be it a detector, a chainsaw, a car or whatever, only YOU know what's best for your needs, sure read forums, watch you tube videos maybe visit your local detectorists club if you have one, if not hire a few different machines and see what works for YOUR usage in YOUR locality on YOUR expected targets.

The following is kind of relevant, in a roundabout way.
I am a pistol shooter, I REALLY wanted a particular model of pistol, but before I made a purchase decision I organised some "blind" tests at my local club and the pistol that felt best, fitted my hand, naturally aligned the sights was the one I bought, on my list it was number 4 but there's no denying the facts, in MY case this was the best buy for me.
I took out "Rookie of the Year" with it so it can't be too bad a fit:-)

Now if only my AT Pro (the BEST detector EVER blah blah blah) can find me a nice Rising Sun I will be a very happy camper.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro, Minelab GoFind 40
  • Oldest find: Michelle (1967) :-) 1947 Penny
There are 10 types of people
Those who get binary and those who don't.

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

53.33%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Likes Given: 2009

• Total Badges: 32
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:18 PM »
me, well I've just spent the last few years evaluating IT systems for suitability/fit for purpose/durability for some departments in Canberra.
I question everything, I don't believe vendors, and I want to see documented proof/evidence/conformance to standards, and that it actually operates as spec'd or brought!!! ie: general fit for purpose type of stuff. 
A lack of  a response with appropriate data  or just silence on requests to vendors generally tells me that there's something amiss. ala "those aren't the droids you're looking for..". I've found at times, its hard to accept a vendor as sincere and genuine when they avoid your questions :)
If someone says that they have the best new technology out, Great!!!, prove it with a video.. videos are non-prejudice and generally impartial..
I'll happy splash out some cash for something I can see that actually works as stated or is better for me to use(will always remember Willo's words: "swing the best detector you can afford, as your likely to walk only once over that piece of ground")
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline kg1

• Platinum

76.67%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1052

• Total Badges: 20
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:12 PM »
Douglas ya forgot the '' treasure hunter " just looking for gold & other shiny bits & bobs ;D

Mate.....you having a go??? ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Online roy cobb

• Bronze
  • I live in Sawyers Gully NSW

26.67%
  • Likes Given: 95

• Total Badges: 21
    One year Anniversary Find of the Month Winner Roo Penny Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:41 AM »
As a relative new comer to this hobby i am surprised by the amount of vitriol and venom displayed toward the different detectors on the market. Sure we all want to think that we have bought the best detector we could, but does it make it your choice any better if you bag the oppostion? What message is being sent to people new to the hobbby when they join our forum with their shiny new detector only to read a post about how useless there new toy is because soemthing else has arrived on the market or machine xyz has been updated. There are thousands of item being found by hundreds of machines so it seems to me they all work just fine. Of course new detectors are going to show up with new and better features which does mean all detectors will eventually be outdated.
But lets just all enjoy our hobby and be happy with what weve got. In closing wiser men than me have said in the past "its not what you've got but how you use it".

Agree  100%  work with what you have and enjoy your time swinging it thsts whats its all about
Roy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelad Eureka gold X terra 705
  • Oldest find: 1926 three pence (first as well)
Minelab Eurka gold with coilteck coils pinpointer Xterra 705 dual pack

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 581

• Total Badges: 34
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:54 AM »
That is what it should be all about .... getting out & enjoying yourself & if you find something nice then good on you ! Happy Hunting , Gazza 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam