* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Tesoro Dingo  (Read 4302 times)

Jackoutback

Tesoro Dingo
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:39 »
Hi all ,
 My first post  :) I'm a Tesoro fan , have tried  outher brands but after being lent a Vaquero a few years back I was hooked .
Now have a Tejon , very happy with it .

Can anyone help with information about the Tesoro Dingo , it was made especially for the Australian market some time back , I can't find even a photo of it .

Regards
Jack .

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Tesoro Dingo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 23:11 »
I found some mention of the dingo on very old posts on another forum but no pictures.Tesoro website doesn't mention it even on superceded manuals.It may have been a std. american model with a name change and maybe a couple of capacitors changed to help ground balance.  Rwork
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline scotty1856

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 7

• Total Badges: 19
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 23:49 »
Probably no help but they did carry out testing during 1993 in SA
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Deleon, X-Terra 305, 705 Garrett pro pointer x pointer

Jackoutback

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 13:23 »
Thanks for the replies .
I've found an article in one of my old Gem & Treasure mags dated May 1995 , its about a guy who found a gold sovereign whilst prospecting for nuggets , he was using a Tesoro Dingo !
He said that he had found nuggets before with the Dingo    ;D

Jack.

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Likes Given: 454

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 17:05 »
...seems ol' Ringa knows a thing or two about the Dingo..I'll try and get her to fill you in on the details, as she knows the early ins and outs of the Laser B1, on which the Dingo was founded...

ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline Ringa

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 4

Seventh year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 19:21 »
The dingo was based on the Lobo by Tesoro.

My ex husband once owned a Dingo, who bought it off David Bishop. David has since sold his Albury Tesoro dealership to Paul Knee.
David Bishop worked with Tesoro detectors, and with the co-operation of the parent company made some minor adjustments to the Lobo detector (not LaserB1 as suggested by ohb1) to allow for the more extreme mineralisation in Australia.
The manual ground adjustment change was the only difference to the Lobo
The box and internal mechanics are exactly the same as the Lobo. Apart from the ground balance, the only difference is in the label…from Lobo (Wolf) to Dingo
Ringa
 ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Arado, C-Scope, Minelab Tribune, Tesoro Cutlass, Laser B1, Cibola
  • Oldest find: Anglo Saxon stirrup mount 1050

Offline parsec

• Bronze
  • Alchemy- turning batteries into gold

0%
    • I live in: Adelaide
    • Adelaide Lost Ring Search
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 26
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:43 »
The dingo was based on the Lobo by Tesoro.

My ex husband once owned a Dingo, who bought it off David Bishop. David has since sold his Albury Tesoro dealership to Paul Knee.
David Bishop worked with Tesoro detectors, and with the co-operation of the parent company made some minor adjustments to the Lobo detector (not LaserB1 as suggested by ohb1) to allow for the more extreme mineralisation in Australia.
The manual ground adjustment change was the only difference to the Lobo
The box and internal mechanics are exactly the same as the Lobo. Apart from the ground balance, the only difference is in the label…from Lobo (Wolf) to Dingo
Ringa
 ;D

Fantastic info Ringa,
I have been doing a little research trying to find out about the dingo so this is great timing. Do you have any idea when it came out? The Lobo seems to have had a reasonable life from '89 to '97. Also, is the Dingo fairly rare or did they make lots of them?

The idea of a sensitive, manual ground balance, small nugget machine that will teach me to use my ears is very attractive atm. It also being a bit of a collectors item and having the basics of a very successful tried and tested modern machine should make this a winner. Now if I can only find one ...

I gather that the Dingo version just had a modified range for ground balance, so the original Lobo manual would cover this detector perfectly.

shaun, on the hunt for this bit of history.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab: Sov GT, Quattro. Tesoro Lobo, Tejon, Sand Shark, Amigo
  • Oldest find: 1844 Shilling
Adelaide Lost Ring Search
http://lostringsearch.com

Offline parsec

• Bronze

0%
    • Youtube's channel

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 17:04 »
Several phone calls and a few k's later and I have one in my hot little hands. So here you go Jackoutback some pics for you.

Everything seems to work fine with this particular detector so I am going to have lots of fun learning how all the knobs and toggles fit together. Can't wait :)))

cheers, shaun
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab: Sov GT, Quattro. Tesoro Lobo, Tejon, Sand Shark, Amigo

Offline Ringa

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 4

Seventh year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 18:35 »
Fantastic info Ringa,
I have been doing a little research trying to find out about the dingo so this is great timing. Do you have any idea when it came out? The Lobo seems to have had a reasonable life from '89 to '97. Also, is the Dingo fairly rare or did they make lots of them?

The idea of a sensitive, manual ground balance, small nugget machine that will teach me to use my ears is very attractive atm. It also being a bit of a collectors item and having the basics of a very successful tried and tested modern machine should make this a winner. Now if I can only find one ...

I gather that the Dingo version just had a modified range for ground balance, so the original Lobo manual would cover this detector perfectly.

shaun, on the hunt for this bit of history.

Hi,
I can't remember when he bought the Dingo, but it would have been a couple of years after the Lobo came out, I don't think that many were made.
Well done finding one!
Ringa   ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Arado, C-Scope, Minelab Tribune, Tesoro Cutlass, Laser B1, Cibola
  • Oldest find: Anglo Saxon stirrup mount 1050

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 21:59 »
Just what you need for Wedderburn next year Parsec.I think i can talk them into using the alloy tokens next year which will make it a bit easier for the machines with discrimination.  Rwork
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%

Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 23:32 »
Just reading the Tesoro site...the Laser B1 was brought out in 1991..not that it has anything to do with the Dingo! ;D ;D
ohb1
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 23:49 by ohb1 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline parsec

• Bronze

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 13:09 »
Just reading the Tesoro site...the Laser B1 was brought out in 1991..not that it has anything to do with the Dingo! ;D ;D
ohb1
thanks ohb1, it does indeed look similar. I would be very keen to learn any tips you have. My poor Ace 250 has been neglected since buying the dingo.

thanks

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 17:20 »
Hi Parsec..how are you going with the Dingo settings?...I'm not one to ask about the ins and outs of the machine...I've only been detecting for 2 years now, and relied on Ringa initially to "show me the ropes.....I have no idea on the manual ground balance, but have found the factory setting needed "tweeking" (recalibration) because the chatter was extreem...since recalibration, the Laser works like a charm..it truly is a turn on and go machine,

Anyhow, for what its worth.....I always use maximium sensativity, unless there is too much noise (mineralization), and depending on the "calibration" of the machine, around the 6 mark on the disc level switch cuts out most rubbish (and gold) leaving a rich clear signal for $1 and $2, 50c and usually 20c, but cuts out the 10c and 5c...Large aluminium tins and their chewed up mates will still come through, as will the round ring-pulls, and 1&2 cent pieces..the oval ringpulls should be cut out, but if not, turn up the Disc level just a little.
The 6 setting should also let in all silver, but may be a little less distinct on the half silver predecimals

If I'm on the beach, I still use max sensativity, unless the salt is interfearing, and the Disc level on arouind 3..that is, unless you are using the "all metal" (which I never use)...you pick up a lot of junk, but cut out the aluminium foil and most iron...allowing in gold
If you are using the Dingo on the wet salt sand you will need to use the manual ground balance to compensate. I am none the wiser when it comes to that area of adjustment.so if you master it, you can forward me your tips!
Hope some of all that made sence...good luck

ohb1

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 17:22 by ohb1 »

Offline parsec

• Bronze

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:23 »
Thanks OHB1,
I does indeed have a fair amount of chatter, so the idea of re-calibration looks interesting. I have just learned to deal with it by changing the mode setting from "low" to "normal" and if really bad "extreme". I visited a SA gold mining area over the weekend and it was happy in the extreme mode on full sensitivity. Depth is reduced in higher modes though, so a tuneup is a good idea. Where did you send yours?

Ground balancing has become a great deal easier since I stopped using full sensitivity while setting it. By using 3/4 sensitivity I can adjust it really quickly on the 10 turn dial. Most settings on the weekend were within quarter of a turn in similar areas and less than 1 turn difference all day. With the occasional newbie exception when balancing over a nail ;)

I just put it in all metal mode, lift the coil to about a foot above the ground then lower it to sweeping height. I do this over and over again adjusting the ground balance so that the threshold volume does not increase when approaching the ground or increase when leaving the ground on the upward journey. Initially I had issues where the threshold would null when approaching the ground so I just turned down the sensitivity until it was easy to hear.

As for disc, I have mainly been using it in minimum disc for most situations and fairly high if I am tired or in a hurry and just want the goldies. All metal is fast, deep and quite descriptive of iffy signals so I enjoy spending time in that mode too. This is my first machine with threshold with the variations and nulls telling me all sorts of clues about what lies beneath. Thanks for the disc tips, I will try them all out. One bonus with this machine is pinpointing is crazy good with the wide scan coil well when compared to the still very good Ace anyway.

I have not used the Dingo at the beach yet, but am looking forward to it. My main worry is how the under shaft control box will cope with sand if I am not careful enough. I really like this machine, it just fits with me. The only reason I still carry the Ace in the car is the coaxial sniper coil. That Ace can detect coins, etc 1 inch from steel posts and also while metal is rubbing against the top of the coil. Very handy and cool.

Thanks for a great reply, cheers, shaun

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15 »
Wow Shaun..you sort of make my "tit bits" of knowledge seem like water off a ducks back...I think you know a lot more about detectors than me  :D..Thanks for the info on Ground Balancing  still sounds complicated to me, but I'll play around outside with your guidance, and see what happens 8) You DID help me out by way of explaining the sensativity change when balancing  I'll let you know if I get the jist of it!  ::)
I'm afraid I didn't send my detector to anyone for re calibration....there WAS a really good video on the web which I used as the basis for my re-calibration...unfortunately, it has since been removed....Most that I have read suggests that factory pre-set calibration is not as good as it could be!
I understand that  recalibration adjusts the Ground balance pre-set trimmer.. I notice that the Dingo is a manual ground balance only..(different to my LaserB1,) and I don't think  recalibration is possible/available on  manual machines! :(

It’s all a bit beyond me, all I know is that I saw the video, followed the instructions, took out the motherboard and made the adjustments, (tested while the motherboard was accessible) re assembled, and ..hey….much clearer signals because of the less chatter…with a 20 odd year old machine, I wasn’t too worried about voiding the warranty (no receipt anyway)
Good luck when you hit the beach..now that you have untangled my maze of blur about manual ground balance, I may be tempted to stear clear of the Minelab Sovereign I have been eying up..apparantly it works automatically to adjust between wet and dry salt sand...my one and only frustration with the Laser, but now that I have your tips, I'll see if I can venture successfully into the Manual ground balancing act...will let you know how I go :o

ohb1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:03 by ohb1 »

Offline parsec

• Bronze

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24 »
I too have been watching the Sovereign community with an intent to buy one one day. The multi tones would be a great help. However for now I am really happy with this beast.

I hope the GB tips help but I am way off being an authority on anything to do with metal detecting. All I really have to offer is 2 months of highly excited experience getting out when I can and digging holes :)

Thanks again for tips, suggestions and for keeping my motivation up.

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Hervey Bay
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 9
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 15:42 »
Hello this is my first post here.
I could not find a introduce yourself thread so here I am - I thought you would like to know this.
I met a very very interesting man today while fossicking in Hervey Bay where I am living and that is why I have found you,his name is Mr Robert (bob) Murray.
He is the man mentioned in this post,he was the man who found the Gold Sovereign (1/2) it was the second only minted S Sov (1865??) which he told me was in "mint" condition which he sold for 4/5k.
We talked for over an hour with him telling me about more 1/2 Sovs plus other 1 off finds including 12oz nuggets etc,etc.
And in the course of our conversation he told me that he used to write for Garretts in the US,plus bring Yanks over here because he designed the Teroso Dingo.
He is a very accomplished musician and artist ( www.redbubble - robert murray portfolio) also and he told me where we met he goes there everyday,so we will talk some more I hope.
So because my "bullshit meter" did not go off I am very sure that the older man that I met and spoke to for the very first time is Mr Robert Murray now residing in Hervey Bay Queensland is the designer of the Toreso Dingo metal detector.
I asked him do you have anything left regarding his old days of detecting and sadly he told me no,but he did regret not keeping a Dingo just for memories sake.
I hope someone enjoys my first post.
God Bless.
CGS

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab SD 2000 - Coil - Standard 11" DD - Minelab Sovereign Elite - Coil - Standard Minelab 10" DD - Teknetics Delta 4000 - Coils - 5" Nel DD - 8" Standard Teknetics Concentric - Garretts Pinpointer.
  • Oldest find: 1912 British Threepence.
Cash is King - Gold is Insurance - Silver is Speculation

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

3.33%
    • I live in: Queensland
  • Likes Given: 348

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 20:04 »
That's interesting, cgs. I have always been under the impression that Dave Johnson designed the Dingo.

Wasn't it an extension of the Lobo??                  ???

CP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils (retired)- Currently, ML Safari with RNB Battery,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 21:04 »
Hello Count   ;D
I cannot really so sorry because I only met Mr Bob Murray today.
Maybe there was some struggle who got the credit,but Bob knew plenty about detecting for sure.
When I see him again I will ask him some more questions referring to people interest here.
Have a good weekend.
MTF
CGS   :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab SD 2000 - Coil - Standard 11" DD - Minelab Sovereign Elite - Coil - Standard Minelab 10" DD - Teknetics Delta 4000 - Coils - 5" Nel DD - 8" Standard Teknetics Concentric - Garretts Pinpointer.

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

3.33%

Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 15:01 »
Was Bob on an electric scooter, CGS??

CP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils (retired)- Currently, ML Safari with RNB Battery,Whites MX5
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 15:13 »
Was Bob on an electric scooter - Yes - MTF I cannot wait   :) 
 CGS   ;D   

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

3.33%

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 15:28 »
Got the same story 2 years ago...nice bloke..but??

MTF?? :o

CP

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

3.33%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 508

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 15:55 »
Got the same story 2 years ago...nice bloke..but??

MTF?? :o

CP

I had to look that up but I don't think it is meant in the same context.......
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

3.33%

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 19:45 »
Hell, I hope not!! :o

CP

Offline William Monday

• Tin Foil

0%

• Total Badges: 4
    First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 08:32 »
That's interesting, cgs. I have always been under the impression that Dave Johnson designed the Dingo.

Wasn't it an extension of the Lobo??                  ???

CP
......................Dave Johnson designed the dingo with feedback from David Bishop who gave Bob Murray the detectors to test in WA. All information was sent back to David with the Pro and Con that Bob relayed back...This is how the Dingo was born...If bob has an email address, should would like to have it...I stayed with Bob for sometime and Bob used to write short stories for Western & Eastern Treasure magazine...When I left for home, Florida he was working at the power plant in Cue...People I knew while there, Bob & Murine Skinner, Jim & Jenny and Malcolm...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Teknetics Mark 1

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam