collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  What's your other hobbie???  (Read 49842 times)

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 305

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
Re: What's your other hobbie???
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2018, 15:28 »
I'm into photography and research, research, research.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 15:33 by 14FNX »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full
Cartwheel penny
Groat

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline Xlii

• Copper

80%
    • I live in: South Australia
    • Xlii's Metal Detecting Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56

• Total Badges: 3
    Full Sovereign 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2018, 20:25 »
LEGO photography!

• Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Garret Ace 250
  • Oldest find: 1797 (cartwheel penny)

Offline roy cobb

• Bronze
  • I live in Sawyers Gully NSW

30%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138

• Total Badges: 24
    Farthing Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence One year Anniversary Find of the Month Winner Roo Penny Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2018, 21:01 »
Other hobbies  are 4x4 / Photography  and shooting  - F class -long range shooting both smokeless  and blackpowder 
Roy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelad Eureka gold X terra 705
  • Oldest find: 1614 to 1625 Farthing
Minelab Eurka gold with coilteck coils pinpointer Xterra 705 dual pack

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

26.67%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 578

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36 »
Southern Swamp Ash
...anyone trying any Australian timbers?...I'm guessing not, as our timbers are probably geographically associates with a heavier timber...though I'm guessing it would be possible to make one out of our red Cedar..but then again, it may be too "soft" to offer an acceptable audio absorption ?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Online TonyW

• Copper

80%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30

50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2018, 14:42 »
...anyone trying any Australian timbers?...I'm guessing not, as our timbers are probably geographically associates with a heavier timber...though I'm guessing it would be possible to make one out of our red Cedar..but then again, it may be too "soft" to offer an acceptable audio absorption ?
You can make guitars out of packing crates if you want, acoustic timber is different though, electric guitars really dont matter, people crap on about timber and tone, acoustic yes, electrics are 95% in the pickups pretty much so not as much to worry about what the wood is.
Bunya Pine, Silver Quandong, Huon Pine, Camphor Laurel, Tassie Myrtle, Northern Silky Oak, Queensland Red Cedar, Queensland Maple, Blackwood, the list goes on and on for electrics then there is more for acoustics. For me its more about how the timber looks, you get some beautiful grains and no 2 are alike.
I have 2 slabs of New Zealand Ancient Kauri here i may do something with one day, it been preserved in peat for like 50,000 years then dug up out of the bog, not cheap stuff.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus
  • Oldest find: gold

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

26.67%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 578

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2018, 07:17 »
Bunya Pine, Silver Quandong, Huon Pine, Camphor Laurel, Tassie Myrtle, Northern Silky Oak, Queensland Red Cedar, Queensland Maple, Blackwood, the list goes on and on f. For me its more about how the timber looks, you get some beautiful grains and no 2 are alike.
I have 2 slabs of New Zealand Ancient Kauri here i may do something with one day, it been preserved in peat for like 50,000 years then dug up out of the bog, not cheap stuff.
...A man after my own heart!...I'm a 4th generation Australian wood-man.....my home has furniture carved from Rosewood by my great Aunt,.... timber heritage Truss bridges built by my grandfather in the early 1900's,....
Assorted furniture from my father built from Black bean, Camphor Laurel, Jarrah, White Cedar (he owned and ran a Joinery Cabinet business)..
My own effort falls flat with the remnants of Dad's left over timber...but I have recycled for the third time some Silky Oak from a building we demolished in north QLD, and built a dressing table from a full grown African Mahogany tree that was slabbed while I was living in the Northern Territory....Now I'm thinning out...2 loads of timber to the dump, and a never ending list of machinery that I have no idea how to get rid of...(anyone want a bandsaw that runs on 240 volt, and a pair of bicycle wheels????)...

You're right about the beautiful grain in timber...the feel and the depth of character that no plastic imitation will ever match!...and, don't get me going on the so called 
"architecturally designed" buildings of today....give me an old "Queenslander" with 12 foot high ceilings, ...a large outdoor verandah, and flow through ventilation underneath any day!!! Yep Tony,...I'm a wood-man....and I hope your NZ Kauri will be turned into a work of intrinsic texture and character before you miss the opportunity to appreciate it's beauty!
ohb1
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:20 by ohb1 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829

Online TonyW

• Copper

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2018, 11:35 »
...A man after my own heart!...I'm a 4th generation Australian wood-man.....my home has furniture carved from Rosewood by my great Aunt,.... timber heritage Truss bridges built by my grandfather in the early 1900's,....
Assorted furniture from my father built from Black bean, Camphor Laurel, Jarrah, White Cedar (he owned and ran a Joinery Cabinet business)..
My own effort falls flat with the remnants of Dad's left over timber...but I have recycled for the third time some Silky Oak from a building we demolished in north QLD, and built a dressing table from a full grown African Mahogany tree that was slabbed while I was living in the Northern Territory....Now I'm thinning out...2 loads of timber to the dump, and a never ending list of machinery that I have no idea how to get rid of...(anyone want a bandsaw that runs on 240 volt, and a pair of bicycle wheels????)...

You're right about the beautiful grain in timber...the feel and the depth of character that no plastic imitation will ever match!...and, don't get me going on the so called
"architecturally designed" buildings of today....give me an old "Queenslander" with 12 foot high ceilings, ...a large outdoor verandah, and flow through ventilation underneath any day!!! Yep Tony,...I'm a wood-man....and I hope your NZ Kauri will be turned into a work of intrinsic texture and character before you miss the opportunity to appreciate it's beauty!
ohb1
I love the smell, feel, look and texture of timber, yes and i love the old houses more than anything built today. I would love to come across and old barn being demolished, get in amongst the beams and doors, i could make guitar bodies for months. :D

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1472

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2018, 20:06 »
ohb1 for selling old woodworking stuff & wood try woodworking forums Australia plenty of blokes looking for the old stuff on there ;) .
I've got a beautiful old cast iron bandsaw & other old wood machines in the shed.

Tony what sorta timber are you looking for mate ?? as I see bits floating around sometimes.
lazy   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Online TonyW

• Copper

80%
  • Liked:

« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2018, 16:45 »
ohb1 for selling old woodworking stuff & wood try woodworking forums Australia plenty of blokes looking for the old stuff on there ;) .
I've got a beautiful old cast iron bandsaw & other old wood machines in the shed.

Tony what sorta timber are you looking for mate ?? as I see bits floating around sometimes.
lazy  
Trying not to look for anything at the moment, i can feel a guitar cull coming on :D

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam