collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Whites V3i in Australian conditions???  (Read 3814 times)

Offline ronniecruisin

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Fosterville Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 10
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Whites V3i in Australian conditions???
« on: May 19, 2013, 14:29 »
Hi all. I'm new to the forum so G'day. Happy to meet you all. I have been interested in the Whites V3 but have wondered how good its fancy ID system will work here in OZ. There are almost no real reviews covering this issue or indeed this detector in Australia.  Plenty in the states of course but because their conditions are different many of those reviews don't properly apply here. Does anyone know if the systemn works well here ??? ie. Colour bars ID etc . Is  it as good as is shown in the videos in the states???? And what kind of depth can be expected in our harsh soils???  Have owned two whites machines ...MXT and New pro aus PI. Currently using ML GPX 4000. But getting sick of digging rubbish due to MLs poor discrimination abilities. ...Regards...Ron.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=18742.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab GPX 4000
  • Oldest find: Gold

Offline Mike

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Sydney
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 19
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Whites V3i in Australian conditions???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 21:13 »
Ron

I owned a V3i for a while, it was a good detector that you could fully program just about every setting possible. I found its depth on par with all high end detectors, I think its the same as all detectors you need to put in the time to learn the machine. I only sold my V3i as I like the Minelab tones and functionality better. At the end of the day the V3i is a good detector. I purchased my unit from a dealer in Victoria.

Mike
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Detectors Owened, Minelab Explorer SE Pro , Minelab Excalibur, White's Spectra V3i and White's Surf PI Dual Field. Current detector CTX3030
  • Oldest find: My Wife....:)

Offline David Turner

• Platinum
  • Low and Slow

0%
    • I live in: Gold Coast
    • Facebook
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 32
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:38 »
V3i=VLF, Very Low Frequency
GPX4000=PI, Pulse Induction

PI for gold, handles tough gold field conditions
VLF good for coins/relics in about all but above conditions

Cant really compare the 2 imo

If chasing Gold get the 5000, if after best coin/relic machine go the CTX 3030, but I am Minelab biased :D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ7000,SDC2300,CTX 3030,MineLab Pro-Find,X-Terra 705, GPX5000, Eureka Gold, E-Trac
  • Oldest find: 1871 Gothic Florin

Offline Shilo

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Kawhia New Zealnd
    • Island Detecting
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 28
    Seventh year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:05 »
I don't live in Aust but If you have used an MXT then a V3i will work even better in those spots.  The V3i is a much more advanced model then the MXT and although I couldn't say that it will detect so many inches deep as this depends on too many variables, the V3i will go deeper then the MXT in all situations.

Without starting up a comparison war, I would personally say that the V3i can detect in the same areas and with the comparable depth to an Etrac but an Etrac may not be able to detect in the same places the V3i can.  The reason is the amount you can customise the V3i to the soil,  nearly every imaginable setting can be changed and tuned into the area.  But this has of course the downside of a large learning curve to know what to do in what situation.  The standard factory programs that come with it are great and will still give you a detector that's better then the majority out there, but slowly learning what settings to change opens up a whole new world.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1808 King George III Penny, Best find 1958 Gold Sovereign

Offline ronniecruisin

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53 »
Hmmmmmm. Thanks for the info guys.  From what you are saying it seems I should keep my 4000 and go with Plan B which is to get a Whites GMT to go with the 4000 to detect where there is bucket loads of rubbish. I understand the GMT is very good at Iron ID. Does anyone know if this also applies to very small iron targets eg. Tiny bits of wire and small pieces of tin can??? I had thought of replacing the 4000 with the Spectra but maybe this is the better plan. Thanks for your help.....Regards Ron.

Offline eljay

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: South East Nanango QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 25
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:34 »
Good thinking, you could keep in mind that if you are going to grid an area, you might go over it first with a VLF machine to identify or remove iron scrap then sweep it with your Gold detector, just a thought  :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-TERRA 705, Garrett Propointer, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Seahunter Mark II
  • Oldest find: 1873 English Bun Head Penny

Offline ronniecruisin

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 14:33 »
Yeah. Me thinks you are right on the button. Good advice. regards...Ron. 8)

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 00:35 »
I understand the GMT is very good at Iron ID. Does anyone know if this also applies to very small iron targets eg. Tiny bits of wire and small pieces of tin can???

On my GMT you need a large signal from a large target to make it grunt on iron.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

xx
Whites mx5

Started by gribbub on Whites

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2017, 14:56
by tony
xx
Whites GMZ

Started by turps123 on Whites

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 19:24
by LazyTrommel