collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Whites Goldmaster 2  (Read 4133 times)

Offline goldpick

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    33.33%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Whites Goldmaster 2
« on: October 29, 2013, 23:40 »
I couldn't help myself, damned ebay, but I put in a random bid on ebay us for a Whites Goldmaster 2 thinking I would probably be outbid.  Came back later in the day to find I'm now a proud owner of this detector for around $220au.  I think this machine will be perfect for specking out those small bit of gold left over in some of SA's goldfields being 50khz. 
Anybody else have much experience with this machine or the GM3 / VSAT that they would like to share, seems they have a good name for finding small gold, alongside the Goldbug detectors. :)

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=21513.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

23.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Whites Goldmaster 2
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:57 »
Howdy Goldpick,

Its getting back a bit but the Goldmaster 2 is a great detector and i had it for a few years good on small stuff and easy to set up.

If you can find a good spot with it it you will do well.

Regards Beepn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Vallon Whites v3i, Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 19:36 »
Thanks for that Beepn, I think it should suit some of the SA areas, as we aren't blessed with the large nuggety gold as in VIC and WA.  I have always wanted one of these since my twenties, they have always had a bit of a following, particularly in the US.  A few of the older detectors seem to be popping up lately at half decent prices. I reckon they get a bit neglected in the search for detectors with new technologies, features etc, but at the end of the day, it will probably do just as well, just no bells and whistles. :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer

Offline goldpick

• Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:38 »
I received my GM2 last week from the US, knowing that there were possibly some pre-existing issues with it(deceased estate sale), a bit of a gamble, but I was prepared to have a go to fix it.  On receiving it, the detector struggled to pick up anything other that my workshop shed, plus it was impossible to ground balance.  The speaker also didn't work, but is fine with headphones - I always use headphones anyway.  The battery pack was also stuffed with several tabs broken off the 9 volt connector.

Undeterred,  I got down to business and replaced the battery pack and connector with new ones from Jaycar and gave the control box, pots and switches a clean out with Isoprpyl alcohol and fitted rubber boots to the toggle switches.  One of the main problems was a connection issue with the coil plug and associated cabling, when I pulled the plug apart, there were only 3 of 4 wires soldered to the plug.  I ended up re-terminating the cable, and resoldered all the connections with lots of shrinkwrap, the result is a resurrected GM2!

After a quick ground balance, I checked the detector again on my 0.4 gm nugget, picked it up just fine, in fact it was picking up every bit of minuscule metal around my workshop, and so it should at 50kHz!  Happy days! :D

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 16:52 »
Will your goldmaster work on the beach,might be the closest gold for you. I don't know anyone with one so i was wondering how it would handle black sand.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 22:05 »
I've got an area that is relatively unmineralised in clay that is good for small pickers, so will try it out this week to see how she goes. Will probably leave the beaches to the 305 and Vaquero, they will be much better at depth I'd say, plus with decent discrimination.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33 »
Fitted up the new Whites Shooter 6x4 DD coil, I was recommended this coil on another forum for small gold and for handling mineralisation better than the standard eliptical coil-what a wee baby coil!  On a small test in the garden bed, it managed to pick up the 0.34 gm nugget buried down to 4", plus registered 2-3 inches with the coil lifted up over the target, very strong signal too. Will give it a proper run tomorrow in proper mineralised ground. :)

xx
Goldmaster Shooter DD 4" x 6" coil on the GMT

Started by OZDigger on Whites

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 09:35
by Adrian ss
xx
Whites V3i

Started by Count Pierre on Whites

14 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 23:28