collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Whites GMT  (Read 763 times)

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    6.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Whites GMT
« on: December 14, 2016, 17:31 »
T/R

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=30785.0
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:15 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

10%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 7
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Whites GMT
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 14:04 »
Adrian SS
I see you started a post on the Whites GMT; however, included nothing.
I recently purchased one second/third hand in great condition. While I am yet to get out on the Goldfields to officially test it out, I have undertaken a number of tests in parks and at home to get a full understanding of the machine and it's capabilities. Good new it is good on natural gold - tested to a good depth. The Iron ID grunt is also good and takes a little getting acquainted with. While it is identified as a Gold Machine, it clearly detects silver, copper and modern coins.

I guess the biggest challenge will be ground balancing in the gold fields. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

6.67%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 16:41 »
Yeah I did start the topic but had zero response after 3 days so I deleted the text. The option to delete the topic had expired..
The GMT is designed for mineralised gold fields but I am unsure as to whether it will cope with our worst ground.
There is a belief that Aussie gold field ground is the worst iron mineralise ground on the planet but you can rest assured that some of the ground in the States is seriously extreme iron mineralisation.
I think you will like the GMT but don't expect it to punch through solid iron stone like a PI. It will find small gold on the surface of this stuff.

Not all of our gold fields are extreme iron mineralised so go to where the ground suits the detector. It will find very small shallow gold to large deepish nuggs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 16:46 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 14:13 »
You are right in relation to ground mineralisation; however, this is something all detectorist must deal with here in AU.
I am quite lucky at the moment as I am living in NSW, where the ground is not as HOT as WA. I have actually been looking at increasing my detector range to include a PI unit; however, given the price and my current anticipated usage, I cannot justify the many of thousands to purchase one. I will be looking to go to the WA goldfields, possibly next year, when the weather cools and subject to work commitments. If all goes well I will be looking at getting a PI unit then. I like the Whites; however, I have been reading up on Minelab, Garrett and hear there is a new PI about to come out, which is built here in AU. You never know, It might be exactly what a novice like me needs. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

6.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 14:17 »
If you are thinking of using a PI in the gold fields then something to remember is that they all will perform ok In iron mineralisation but the beach Pis are set to a timing that does not respond well to salt which means they will respond to some degree to iron minerals. Which means that a beach PI will be somewhat noisy in our gold fields but will still penetrate the ground quite well and respond to gold nuggs.
The TDI OZ is a nice machine as is the Garrett ATX.and . Infinium. With the TDI and ATX being the better gold detector of these three. The Infinium is also good but has a bit of a learning curve.
A used SD2200D is a detector that will not break the bank and will find gold. Also  an SD2100 is no sloutch on small and large gold.
The SDC 2300 is dynamite on small gold in tough ground but is limited to an 8 inch mono coil. In gold country you will be unlucky not to ping a few small bits if you listen for the quite signals.....Which is what you should be doing no mater which detector you are using when searching for gold. Most of the time gold will not jump out at you, the signals will be quiet and mellow......But then again, big signals are not always junk, so don't walk away from them.
You cannot go wrong with a second hand GPX4500. This is a real workhorse and very reliable.
VLFs like the GMT and Gold Bugs are great in up to moderate iron mineralisation but will get on your wick a bit in really tough ground, so use these wherever the ground tracking can handle the ground and if there is gold about they will find it..

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 17:07 »
Great feedback. I have seen a TDI Pro with a bounty of extras up for sale, starting price $2K. I realise that a New one is a little over $3K without all of the extras offered; however, a used 2013 machine with no warranty and many extras v's a new machine with a spare coil and warranty. Although a new TDI SL can be obtained for around $2K. (A few less features, but basically the same machine, just a couple of less knobs to play with or knock or adjust). 
Most SDC2300 are selling around $2000-2300 second hand and as you said they have an 8 inch coil. I know they are compact which is great for portability.
Good 4500's or even 5000's are still fetching high $$$, which could be a sign of how good they are; however, there are a lot out their.
I have not seen many Whites TDI on the market - I wonder if this is because they are so good people don't want to part with them or that they just have not sold many in Australia as the Minelabs and Garretts look to have the main market.
If you has say $2K or a little under, what would you do?

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

6.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 21:18 »
I recently purchased a used  SDC 2300 and I am very happy with it for gold and beach work. It is a n excellent dig it all machine and I doubt that I will need another gold detector plus you do not require a lot of trappings to go with it. Switch it on and you are hunting for gold within 30 second.
If I had the money I would go for the 4500.
The TDI is a killer beach machine and a very good Gold detector in our ground conditions (TDI Oz)
The Garrett ATX is an excellent gold detector and great for beach work. This tecta is heavy.
These detectors are all good and you won't go wrong no matter which one you choose. The trick is to choose the one that has all the features  you want and is the right price.
I don't know how many people use the TDI in our gold fields but I do know that it handles high iron minerals quite well and has been responsible for finding some good nuggs.
Just an opinion, not gospel.

xx
Whites mx5

Started by gribbub on Whites

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2017, 14:56
by tony
xx
Whites new p.i.

Started by beepn on Whites

18 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 10:38