collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  DIY DETECTOR BUILD  (Read 5562 times)

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61

• Total Badges: 3
    Badges: (View All)
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
DIY DETECTOR BUILD
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:23 »
Gday all . Ive just finished building another surf pi 1.2 with a 10" graphene shielded mono coil . I like the simplicity and low weight of these homemade jobs , and I build them because I can . Its a great feeling when you make something yourself and it performs beyond expectations . These machines are very stable and sensitive (to everything metallic ! ) Although they suffer from a little ground noise its all in the way they are used as with all detectors. I'm taking ALL my detectors on my next hunt and will compare them to each other . Too hot lately out here . So , if there's anyone else out there who is obsessed with building your own . any exchange would be welcome . Cheers , Dave ; (bobsuruncle)ps I build other types of detectors than the surf , it's just my personal favourite . And no I'm not trying to flog them on the forum .

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31088.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett deepseeker , garrett at pro , 2 surf pi's and a couple of broken ones .
  • Oldest find: a 1" x 1" meteorite (Adelaide hills 1980)

Offline Oceandog

• Silver

70%
    • I live in: Frankston
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 404

• Total Badges: 14
    One year Anniversary Rising Sun Comm Penny Sixpence Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts Rams Head Shilling Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny Florin
Re: DIY DETECTOR BUILD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:54 »
Would like to see a picture mate. You say you are not selling them, curious about how much they cost you to make though. Not that i have the skills to whip one up
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Gofind 40, Profind 25, Garrett pro pointer II.
  • Oldest find: 1748 Russian half kopek coin
Wish list:
Rising Sun Badge  ;D
Gold Sovereign
Gold 1/2 Sovereign
Cartwheel penny
Any Cricket Buckle...please
Chinese coins

Favourite Finds;
1966 Round 50c Australian
1835 East India Company 1/2 anna
1835 East India Company 1/4 anna
1902 Rising Sun Badge

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:18 »
Gday Oceandog , pics to come soon as I had to wipe my laptop (because of windows 10 ....surprise) Yeah mate they don't cost much to build at all .I buy the boards from a guy in England , Silverdog (Andy Beasley) , for a few pounds UK and source the parts myself . Around a hundred bucks more or less depending on how flash I want to make them. They (the surf ) perform very well and can be modified to see small gold depending on the coils I make for them . One drawback , no discrimination , is a plus sometimes as curiosity always gets the better of me anyway .You can see some pics of a different PI I built ( designed by Mr. G. Lecompte ) on this forum/website CHEMELEC which sadly will be closed down this year .I use my name Dave . If you would like to view them you don't have to become a member. So they are cheap to build but some investment in equipment is required .I personally have invested a truckload into my hobby (not for everyone) as I do other things electronic . The kick I get is finding something with a machine I made myself ....double the excitement so to speak. Anyway I ramble , Cheers Dave.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett deepseeker , garrett at pro , 2 surf pi's and a couple of broken ones .

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67

• Total Badges: 30
    Returned an Item Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:19 »
Hi unclebob,
There'_s a thread running on 4umer at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t8788-homemade-gold-detector. 
Both adrianss and I are building the surfmaster pro using a populated board from tacoma on ebay.
I'm still waiting on delivery from ebay.
Myk intent is to use this one on the wet sand/water where I wouldn't take an expensive detector, as well as getting my head around the coil technologies being used. 
Would love to see what you're using for a shaft.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

Returned an Item Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31 »
Oceandog, 
It's costing me just over Au $210 landed for a fully loaded and tested pcb and an 8" matched coil. I still need to cost in a box and shaft of some sort.
This circuitry is identical, so I've been led to believe, as the whites Surfmaster pro utilising a mono coil. 
Price for the Whites machine is $ 1635 from http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/our-products/whites-detectors/surf-master-dual-field.html
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI, Equinox 800

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:39 »
Yes Bicter they are a midrange priced detector and the kits perform extremely well . I can build the whole thing for well under 200 busks coil , coil cover ,shaft and enclosed circuit . Not all that pretty but who needs looks when you get deep penetration (pun intended) ok so now I'm going out in 44deg to take pics with my laptop camera as my android wont upload anything lol. Cheers Dave.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

43.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 13:42 »
So Keen to see this thread develop, I have a secret desire to make a surf machine one day.
Thanks for taking on the heat for us...
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 14:15 »
Clegy,
I'd love to build a good waterproof PI machine as well.  The SMPro would prob do the job ok. 
While there is an abundance of good waterproof boxes and cable glands, the biggest issue is obtaining water/rust proof pots. They are available but come at a premium price. 
Terry

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 14:26 »
Bicter , if you find any at a reasonable price please let us know as yes they are expensive , and some are a bit dodgy as to handling even a couple of meters of water Cheers Dave.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 14:36 »
Dave, 
Initially I don't intend to make a water proof unit, however I may machine some O ring grooves for the pots and fit rubber boots over the switches to prevent instant death by drowning should I drop it in water.
There's a bit of info on geotech on methods to waterproof pots and where they can be obtained. Even people using magnets and reed switches to achieve a waterproof solution 😀
Terry

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 16:05 »
Dave,
Have a look at hexseals for sealing potshafts. 
http://www.digikey.com/products/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=335-1016-ND&x=15&y=18
Not sure how reliable they are over time.
Heres a comprehensive listing of various seals if you want to get really serious about underwater work
http://www.digikey.com/products/en/switches/accessories-boots-seals/215

Most of these should be available in Australia from Radio Spares or Farnell/element14. Just haven't searched there yet.
Terry

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 16:23 »
Dave,
Have a look at hexseals for sealing potshafts.
http://www.digikey.com/products/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=335-1016-ND&x=15&y=18
Not sure how reliable they are over time.
Heres a comprehensive listing of various seals if you want to get really serious about underwater work
http://www.digikey.com/products/en/switches/accessories-boots-seals/215

Most of these should be available in Australia from Radio Spares or Farnell/element14. Just haven't searched there yet.
Terry
Thanks Terry , for the links , seems they have everything we talked about and relatively cheap . I will be searching in Australia for the same things first though . thanks again Cheers Dave.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 18:07 »
Dave,
The two companies I mentioned earlier are both Australian based with next day delivery.
Terry

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 716

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 08:58 »
mint thread, i would love to build my own PI machine.. I will be watching this closely! 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09 »
Maat,
For info, I'm hoping this kit will pick up gold chains as well as provide good overall depth on wet sand........ and if it gets dunked in the sea, the cost won't be as bad as if I dropped my Safari (or my GPX5000, don't worry, I've cosidered taking it to the wet sand)
😂

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

43.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47 »
I'd like a really small and short one for going snorkelling with, so you can poke around the rocks and crevices etc at swimming holes etc. An on steroids pin pointer is in my mind but with a 4-5 inch coil on it.
Might be a project for spring for me I think.
Might need to start a resources link thread to keep all the links together.

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • I live in: Ocean Grove, Victoria
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38

• Total Badges: 19
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 09:03 »
mint thread, i would love to build my own PI machine.. I will be watching this closely!

Having built quite a few detectors, I can highly recommend either the Surf Pi or the Minipulse Plus Kit fro SilverDog as a good way to start. They are both pretty easy to construct although I feel the MPP is a better overall PI detector.

The other thing I would like to mention is that although you can build your own coils (and I have spent hundreds of hours trying to make a good one) commercially available coils end up being a better proposition. Winding the coil is easy (whether it be conventionally wound, flat or spider) - its more to do with the shielding and getting a good enclosure that fits well and doesnt break at the shaft mount.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Equinox 800, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 09:54 »
Steelpat,
What do you consider to be the benefits of the MPP over the SMpro?
Interested in your thoughts as I do have an MPP board here that I never completed due to one reasoon or another 😀
Terry

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 06:53 »
The MPP has a faster preamp stage. It allows better detection of small gold.
I found it had better air tests than the Surf PI.
Good documentation.
It also was more suitable for modifying. I added a Chipkit UNO board and gave it GB, variable pulse frequency and width, variable sample delay and sample width.

• Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Equinox 800, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41 »
Gday , SteelPat , unfortunately the minipulse rev d I put together didn't pass the smoke test . I haven't gotten around to sorting it or getting another board yet , but the mods you have done have sparked interest once again ....thanks for that . As for coils , I don't seem to have any problems with performance or breakages with the covers I make . (vacuum molded from H.I.P.S.and the tabs are filled with epoxy ) . Nice job on your minipulse build , Cheers Dave.

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55 »
My main issue with the coils was getting them shielded effectively without compromising on performance. Because I had tweaked the MPP to be highly sensitive, it became an issue. I have tried my coils on the GPX and they are definitely noisier than production coils. I think the cost of a new commercial coil is better value than the amount of time and money needed to develop a really good quality quiet coil. 
If you dont use a commercial coil (or compare the results with a commercial coil) you will never know if you are getting the best out of your project.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 16:01 »
Have either of you, Dave or Steepat succesfully pulled apart commercial coils? I've got a bump sensitive 11" minelab that I'd like to disassemble and either repair or reuse the housing. Unfortunately the coil is extremely well glued🤐

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 16:11 »
The most common fault of being bump sensitive is that there is a bad connection on the shielding. Thats the easy bit. Getting the coil apart without damaging the enclosure is the tough bit. I dont think there is any easy way. Just got to gently pry it apart bit by bit. 
Pat

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 16:57 »
Yeah, that's what I thought, worth asking the question though...... will be using a very sharp flexible blade when I get around to giving it a go 😃

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 07:34 »
Have either of you, Dave or Steepat succesfully pulled apart commercial coils? I've got a bump sensitive 11" minelab that I'd like to disassemble and either repair or reuse the housing. Unfortunately the coil is extremely well glued🤐
Gday Bicter , SteelPat is correct . Not much likelihood of unrestrained windings so poor shielding connections (as they are usually glued on ) are the most popular culprit . Cheers Dave.

xx
Metal Detector Video Camera Mount on AT PRO but would suit any Detector

Started by Smurf on General Detecting Chatter

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 19:58
by Rwork
xx
detector coil/detector coil interference

Started by brianincnb on General Detecting Chatter

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 21:24
by goldnugget01