collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  1917 Half Penny but with a twist  (Read 212 times)

Offline Sneaky

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    56.67%
    • I live in: Butler WA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 8
    Badges: (View All)
    Rising Sun Sixpence Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny 10 Posts First Post
1917 Half Penny but with a twist
« on: November 01, 2017, 00:45 »
So out on an old 1800's farmhouse last weekend and Michelle (got to start leaving her home...) finds the Half Penny below.

Not sure if it will show properly in the photos but it looks like it's "de-laminating". Now I know coins aren't laminated, or plated, but imagine an old chromed bumper off a car, and rust get's under the chrome and starts to lift it, that's what this coin looks like.

Anyone ever seen anything like it before?

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro, Minelab GoFind 40 <-- Michelle left it resting on bull bar, oops....
  • Oldest find: Michelle (1967) :-) 1913 Penny
There are 10 types of people
Those who get binary and those who don't.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 741

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: 1917 Half Penny but with a twist
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 02:07 »
Probably made in India. Have a look for an I mark. I guess things were a bit lax during the war.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

83.33%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1457

• Total Badges: 40
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29 »
Yes - I have a delaminating 6d

• Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer, GPX5000
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline Sneaky

• Copper

56.67%
  • Liked:

Rising Sun Sixpence Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny Roo Penny 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 10:56 »
Whale Oil Beef Hooked.

Who woulda thunk it? You learn something every day!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro, Minelab GoFind 40 <-- Michelle left it resting on bull bar, oops....

Offline daviddi

• Bronze

10%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 140

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 13:43 »
Sneaky,
Fairly common condition of Australian copper pre decimal coins. I've often found in such "broken" condition, like the one you've found, but usually buried in soil that promotes such degradation and not necessarily deep either. The presence of oxygen, moisture and various compounds in the soil contributes to the problem.Despite the possibility of finding old coins in such crap conditions , it's still lot of fun trying. 

This 1923 Australian halfpenny I found about 2 and 1/2 years ago, is not in as extreme degraded condition as some , but was on it's way. Had it soaking in paraffin oil since I found it. Looked in really good shape when I first dug it up, but could not see the "lamination" starting to bubble.
With cleaning and up on closer inspection, with photography, it was fairly revealing and was realised that what was happening to this coin, brought is collectors value,  right down. 
I've never found an Aussie pre decimal silver with any delamination issues like Detectist's 6d example. That's a pretty unique condition for a old silver coin , at least for me it would have been.

Though not entirely related, I do have a couple of 20 cent pieces one 1980 and 1976, not found detecting and never buried in the ground, that unfortunately, (the one pictured on the right, I pryed apart too much when it was first found by my mum (overly enthusiastic 16 year old that I was). 

It's actually a design flaw due to production and is called a split planchet:
https://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/split-planchet-decimal-coin-errors/

David Di

Offline ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1916

• Total Badges: 37
    Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 18:25 »
Sneaky,
Fairly common condition of Australian copper pre decimal coins. I've often found in such "broken" condition, like the one you've found, but usually buried in soil that promotes such degradation and not necessarily deep either. The presence of oxygen, moisture and various compounds in the soil contributes to the problem.Despite the possibility of finding old coins in such crap conditions , it's still lot of fun trying.

This 1923 Australian halfpenny I found about 2 and 1/2 years ago, is not in as extreme degraded condition as some , but was on it's way. Had it soaking in paraffin oil since I found it. Looked in really good shape when I first dug it up, but could not see the "lamination" starting to bubble.
With cleaning and up on closer inspection, with photography, it was fairly revealing and was realised that what was happening to this coin, brought is collectors value,  right down.
I've never found an Aussie pre decimal silver with any delamination issues like Detectist's 6d example. That's a pretty unique condition for a old silver coin , at least for me it would have been.

Though not entirely related, I do have a couple of 20 cent pieces one 1980 and 1976, not found detecting and never buried in the ground, that unfortunately, (the one pictured on the right, I pryed apart too much when it was first found by my mum (overly enthusiastic 16 year old that I was).

It's actually a design flaw due to production and is called a split planchet:
https://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/split-planchet-decimal-coin-errors/

David Di

G’day David

I gather you are / were aware of the value of the 1923 HP

It is in good condition
  • Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .
Anywhere , Everywhere , Nowhere & 
Somewhere are the same place  !!

Offline Sneaky

• Copper

56.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 19:18 »
Hi David,

mate thanks for your very informative response, I'm going to be doing some reading now....

I was always of the understanding that coins were an alloy and as such could not possibly "delaminate", how wrong I was....
The 20c is a very interesting example, I would never have believed it had I not seen it for myself, this hobby just keeps on giving, in more ways than one.

Cheers

Offline daviddi

• Bronze

10%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 140

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 23:27 »

G’day David

I gather you are / were aware of the value of the 1923 HP

It is in good condition

Yes, thanks ANT1967, I know it's a valuable coin , but it could have been worth a lot more. It was truly a surprise find for me even after detecting for so many years and finding so many others. Australian copper pre decimal coins buried in the some ground conditions just don't fair that well after 90 plus years.

xx
19?3 Half Penny

Started by Sambo on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 21:54
by Sambo
clip
what sort of Half penny???

Started by spanners_1979 on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 18:59
by spanners_1979
clip
1697 Half Penny

Started by NewSouthCroweater on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 06:18
by Ecto1
clip
Raven's twist on "What the Hell is this?"

Started by Raven1 on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 03:22
by groundfisher
clip
20c Cut in Half

Started by GroundHog on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 15:22
by Slothy
xx
PENNY IDENTIFICATION PLEASE

Started by Keith on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 22:06
by Keith
clip
Is this penny normal

Started by Prospector_Pete on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 22:38
by Prospector_Pete

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything