collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer  (Read 1762 times)

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    70%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 345

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer
« on: November 04, 2017, 00:49 »
Bought one of these pinpointers from Clegy.  Used it for the first time on Tuesday.  It was a bit like a little puppy that wants to please and wags its tail franticly.  Every time I tried to pinpoint a target it just went beepingly mad every time I touched it to the earth anywhere in the hole I had dug.  So, I just touched anywhere on the ground around the whole and it did the same thing.  Just went crazy.  I gave it to my companion digger and it did the same when he used it, except it learned a new trick... It kept turning itself off.  It had a brand new battery.  I used the battery in another item when I got home and that worked fine so, it wasn't the that.
Has anyone else had experience with one of these?  I actually bought it to use in beach detecting so, I'll try it in that environment and see if it performs better.  
I bit the bullet and bought a quality (I hope) pinpointer for inland detecting.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31989.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.
Cartwheel penny.
Groat.
1878 US Silver Dollar.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full.

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
Re: Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22 »
Mine works ok but i did find using it near a Galvanised fence that the old Garrett could be detuned easily by starting it near the metal. The L&S had to have the sensitivity buttons used. Yours was probably just faulty and Clegy will sort out your problem.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

70%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 578

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 13:13 »
No problems with mine.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX, Excalibur 2, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1828 George iv sixpencde

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43 »
All you need to do is call me and this can be sorted out pretty fast.
I get about a 3% return rate on these pointers which is pretty good really.
I do bench test each one before sending and that catches most of the buggy ones But occasionally one passes the bench test only to go on and be a complete pig down the track. I have owners 2 years in and all is running fine.

Like I said just call me and we will get it all sorted for you.
My card was in the box or number at the website. 

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

70%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46 »
Thanks Clegy
Still not sure that it is down to the dope holding it.  I gave it a run this morning in the back yard and it behaved okay.  I changed the sensitivity setting and that may be the difference.  I wasn’t worried that I would be stuck with a pig because, I know you back the items you sell.  I just wasn’t sure whether it was the pinpointer, the ground or, as I said, the dope holding it.
The M-I6 is a pearler.  Love it.
Brisgazza was with me the day it played up. When he had a go, it just kept turning itself off.  As well as going off when he touched it anywhere to the ground.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 19:08 »
Under the battery cap is a tiny little clear plastic disc that sits on that black foam circle. Sometimes this little Bas%^& falls out when you are changing batteries and is never seen again.
Bodge is to get an icecream container lid and cut out a disc that fits inside the cap, (10 cent piece size...ish) leave the little black piece in, put in the disc and 99% of the time that solves the turning of issue. Lost mine just the other day and bodged it with a leaf I found on the beach then applied the ice cream lid fix when I got home.
Again if it is just going to crap all the time, mail that sicker back and I'll swap it out.

Cheers and happy Hunting
Clegy
P.S MI6 is a lot better to use I agree, although I still use my L&S at the beach, it's just a habit to grab the yellow one when the cscope comes out.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:36 »
My understanding is that these little pin-pointers are Pulse Induction type??...True or false?
If that is the case then it should be pretty good for salt beach work and also mild iron mineralsed ground. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

70%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 15:15 »
Yes, it is PI.  4 sensitivity levels.  Clegy was right, the plastic disc is missing.  It now has ice cream bucket blue in its place  It won't fall out!

Online ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:41 »
Bought one of these pinpointers from Clegy.  Used it for the first time on Tuesday.  It was a bit like a little puppy that wants to please and wags its tail franticly.  Every time I tried to pinpoint a target it just went beepingly mad every time I touched it to the earth anywhere in the hole I had dug.  So, I just touched anywhere on the ground around the whole and it did the same thing.  Just went crazy.  I gave it to my companion digger and it did the same when he used it, except it learned a new trick... It kept turning itself off.  It had a brand new battery.  I used the battery in another item when I got home and that worked fine so, it wasn't the that.
Has anyone else had experience with one of these?  I actually bought it to use in beach detecting so, I'll try it in that environment and see if it performs better.  
I bit the bullet and bought a quality (I hope) pinpointer for inland detecting.
Mine had a very loose end cap, kept popping off.

Had it on a self retracting cord while on a shallow water beach hunt, no price for guessing what happened. :'(

ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

23.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 16:54 »
Well  i suppose you got distracted with it and it went into the deep end.  Ha Ha. :o

• Detector(s) owned/used: Vallon Whites v3i, Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Online ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 18:06 »

It came floating by. ~ My mistake for buying Made in China gear. ~ Went and got a real Pinpointer.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold

33.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 13:37 »

It came floating by. ~ My mistake for buying Made in China gear. ~ Went and got a real Pinpointer.
Could have been replaced Free but chose not too.
Only person EVER to have this problem (Over 250 in the field now), so maybe its not the gear hey big fella. ;)

Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty. 

Have a great New year and Happy Hunting.

Clegy

Online ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 16:26 »
Could have been replaced Free but chose not too.
Only person EVER to have this problem (Over 250 in the field now), so maybe its not the gear hey big fella. ;)

Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty.

Have a great New year and Happy Hunting.

Clegy
It could have been replaced free but it didn't and I'm not responsible for your action.

Still got the Land & Sea, made a video of the end cap looseness and quality, same day I got it just in case it would be needed ..... might look interesting on YouTube.

These days it only come out when I'm together with other detector interested persons and the conversation turns to pinpointers, then they can handle and see the Land & Sea quality for themselves.

250 in the field ~ must have been my lucky day then, to me just another experience of a loss..........  like you instead of fuming I went and had a cup of coffee and I'll have another before I press the send button.

With regards to "hey big fella" if you have ever seen me, you oughta see an optometrist.

ivanll

Online ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 18:29 »
Another Do It Yourself Fix ;)

Online ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

Offline Darwoody

• Silver

10%
    • I live in: Caboolture,Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 239

• Total Badges: 24
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 16:42 »
Had mine for ages, beach sand, saltwater, mud...no problems so far, although it looks like the rubber buttons might be just starting to wear. Mind you, it's paid for itself just in the 5c coins it's located (got to dig those signals, they soon mount up in $ value and pay for smaller detecting gear. Plus, on occasion, those 5c pieces turn out to be gold rings 😎
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro, Seahunter Mk11, Minelab Excalibur 11, CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Tesoro Outlaw, XP Deus, Nokta Fors Relic, Equinox 800..
  • Oldest find: 1870 QV Penny
Sweep low and slow....

clip
Digger!

Started by Dax on Detector Accessories

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 18:56
by Gecko
xx
Garret edge digger

Started by NeeMan on Detector Accessories

11 Replies