collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Shafts for Excalibur II- which one and where to purchase?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline darter

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14

• Total Badges: 8
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary First Post One year Anniversary
Well,have done some business today with other members today buying goods,and it looks most likely I be buying an Excal II shortly.

Now which shaft is best and where to buy???  I have learned the term Anderson shaft but know little about where to buy,so I googled ebay and found some and others,also a brand called 'Pluggers'

This is a link to one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plugger-39-Carbon-Fiber-Shaft-for-Minelab-Excalibur-Plugger-Cuff-Matte-Finish/281426529879?hash=item4186540e57:g:oh4AAOSwPe1UAg9c

Seems expensive and LOTS in postage-is there a place in Australia to buy these or similar,that same seller had a three piece knock down version for easy traveling -but its metal and I heard this is not a good idea for detectors

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plugger-3-piece-Balanced-Straight-Shaft-for-Minelab-Excalibur-Metal-Detector/301556171112?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D575ebba551bf4483ab64efd11ea8d7d6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162738628978&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

So looking for pointers of which and where to buy.

Thank you.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32213.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty hunter Land star
  • Oldest find: 1890 silver coin

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: Shafts for Excalibur II- which one and where to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 23:01 »
I was listening to a podcast today that had the Anderson guys on there. They said they have a bunch of travel shafts not on the website yet. Might be worth emailing them 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline darter

• Copper

6.67%
  • Liked:

10 Posts Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00 »
I was listening to a podcast today that had the Anderson guys on there. They said they have a bunch of travel shafts not on the website yet. Might be worth emailing them
Yes I have now contacted them and another maker in U.S that does similar carbon fibre shafts,the price for postage is the biggest killer.We really live in a dumb country here in Australia-cannot even make a simple shaft.
Will look at other ideas-seen a you tube clip of Aussie chap who made one out of a walking support-very clever,and seen those at tip.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

30%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1708

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:15 »
I have made all my own CF shafts for my Excal and CTX....

Simple once you can get a supplier...

Problem is that 101 people say they want or will buy and then NO one steps up....  So I fully understand why NO Company would bother.

After making about 10 CTX custom shafts at different lengths to suit some taller people etc  had to almost give away to recover costs of parts...

I do not use SS or Ally for any shafts as it just acts like a big Antenna for RFI or interferes with my detectors...

Just get some CF from CF Australia in Sydney and make it your self...

I make my own Endcaps and other mods, and will soon have a full selection of Pots for the Excalibur...   But I am only doing it as I need a good few for repairs...  People always ask about them but when it comes time to do the deal...  Poof no response... 

At least in the UK or USA you have 1000 times the users, so there is a good chance you can sell and cover costs at least... Here, many want an item for nothing BUT will then pay 10 times the price from teh USA.  End or RANT.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Radar1966

• Platinum
  • Lost and confused but still working on it

56.67%
    • I live in: Perth Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 944

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 21:42 »
I have the plugger CF shafts. I got the dive/beach setup. It was pricey to get onto Aus, but the upside is I have paid for the whole kit and kaboodle many times over with finds.

The stock shaft is a killer, I use the high rear mount to counterbalance the weight and can swing this no issues for hours. Plus I use the same setup wading, if you get the setup so your arm extends pretty much vertically down you don’t really get troubled by the coil in water.

Remember the shaft will last the life of the machine if you look after it, and you can recoup your investment in short time if you put in the work. Hunters like KG1 and a few of the other pro water hunters here will lay testamount to that.

Good luck with any setup you get.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-terra 705 15in WOT 3khz, 7.5khz, 18.75khz 6inch digger 3khz Garrett Propointer Minelab Profind Minelab Excalibur 11
  • Oldest find: 1806-1807 George III Halfpenny

Offline Happy Jack

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Far South Coast NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 434

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43 »
I use the carbon fiber Anderson shaft on my Excalibur II with the Anderson knob guard.  It works for me, easy to swing all day and really changes the dynamics of the excal from the shaft supplied by minelab.  IMO a straight shaft is a must have on the excel.

Jack
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Excalibur II and CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1/2 ounce Gold Nugget whilst relic hunting
Happy Jack

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

73.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 578

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:47 »
Received the Pluger 36 " straight shaft yesterday, ordered on the 5th arrived on the 19th.
Not the CF model, when set up for maximum extension from hand grip to coil is 1050 mm.
The grip is rubber not foam. There is a strap on the cuff so missing on ML shaft.
Quality is very good.
Price was $135 + $70 postage.
Assembly very easy but no written instructions.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:50 by flcooper1 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX, Excalibur 2, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1828 George iv sixpencde

Offline darter

• Copper

6.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 15:30 »
Received the Pluger 36 " straight shaft yesterday, ordered on the 5th arrived on the 19th.
Not the CF model, when set up for maximum extension from hand grip to coil is 1050 mm.
The grip is rubber not foam. There is a strap on the cuff so missing on ML shaft.
Quality is very good.
Price was $135 + $70 postage.
Assembly very easy but no written instructions.
Yes -that the one I am going to get,but I contacted 'plugger' and was told I could not get the longer one sent but a two piece version will fit. I noticed the is a version to have it straight on rod and one where its off set on a smaller rod. What are peoples thoughts on these.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

73.33%
  • Liked:

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 17:19 »
The under the shaft unit is what I got.
Battery and controls are side by side. 90 degrees to ML setup.
Dive & beach setup would be better if you intend to swim with it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX, Excalibur 2, Equinox 800

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 18:50 »
Pics of pluger shafts,
Anderson and Sharkey products look just as good, but I got Pluger so thats what I can testify to.

Offline darter

• Copper

6.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 10:19 »
Pics of pluger shafts,
Anderson and Sharkey products look just as good, but I got Pluger so thats what I can testify to.
Thanks for your help and advice.
I have followed up on this,as now purchased the Excalibur and last week ordered the 'Plugers' two piece one as you mentioned you had the one piece version,and followed your advice on the two piece version. Looking forward to it arriving this coming week.
I put together the Excal as per factory shaft,just for a basic test-I was stunned at how awkward it felt-would seem unusable with that shaft and weight of it all.
Thanks again all others who have helped.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44 »
The Excal shaft is usable but could come from the factory so much better.
By the way that green stripe on the coil isn't a go faster stripe.
The end near the shaft is for target location in pinpoint mode, the other end is for wiggle back ? location in disc mode.
Also helps a lot in low vis conditions.

Offline darter

• Copper

6.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 08:38 »
The Excal shaft is usable but could come from the factory so much better.
By the way that green stripe on the coil isn't a go faster stripe.
The end near the shaft is for target location in pinpoint mode, the other end is for wiggle back ? location in disc mode.
Also helps a lot in low vis conditions.
ok thanks.
I got the new shaft all together-although plugger forgot to send the two smaller pieces to off set the smaller shaft with controller/battery. He sent them and extras after I mentioned it to him. I am glad I got the two piece version-it all packs neatly and discreetly into a sports bag-so does not advertise its an expensive machine when packed away.

xx
Alternative shafts

Started by Tommy Cash on General Detecting Chatter

12 Replies
Last post December 23, 2016, 13:27
by Tommy Cash
xx
Anderson Carbon Fibre Shafts?

Started by PaulT on General Detecting Chatter

4 Replies