collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Is anyone in a Detecting Club? We started our local one yesterday.  (Read 839 times)

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

• Fill this by Posting :)
    43.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
G'day Folks,

How many are in Detecting clubs? What do you like/dislike about them?

We started our local one yesterday here in Central Queensland and got 18 people at the first meeting.
A good group too, and a nice chance to meet the people that you talk to on social media.

We are at the infancy stage and will be selecting our club name, committee, writing our charter and getting all the paperwork lined up so we can go official as soon as possible.

Any hints or tips on running and managing a club would be great, I don't plan on getting too involved in the running of it once the setup stage is complete, there are people far more suited to that in our group.

Should be fun I hope.

Happy Hunting

Clegy

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32364.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Pretty sure "The Detectorists" is a doco on how to run a club. 

I'm of absolutely no help, but best of luck. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

26.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1707

Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
I am a member of the Brisbane Metal Detecting Club...

And yes, the paper work and OWHS and registration etc gets interesting.

Audits etc as a Non Profit and Treasurer etc and all the usual Government requirements...

Public Liability and Fossicking Licences to cover ALL financial members at a club outing - a big plus for newbies. But it also costs the club $$$$....

HOWEVER...  Committee members can be held accountable if you advise members that they can do stuff and then it turns out you gave false / misleading Information.  In addition most insurances etc are auto invalidated if you are operating out side of the Laws - be it criminal or civil.  

Hence some club members do not like it when you formally advise them of the Actual Council laws etc re Parks / Reserves / National Parks / Boat Ramps / Bridges etc etc that are no go places.  Gray areas their may be; but as a Committee OR long term member  it is not up to you to define the gray and thus if in doubt = NO.

The other thing is that Theft by Finding has to be understood and this and other laws have to be spelt out in the Code OF Conduct and signed off.  Is still not a Get out of Jail for committee members; but helps you solicitor to have you exempted from any blow back when a member does the wrong thing and gets caught... New regs also mean you have to have Gender and Complaints documentation and procedures for managing and reporting...

FOM  COM and GOM comps are always good, but you need judges and a scoring system as some can get very Vocal and or upset... It happens...

One of our big issues it that some say they want to join or come on a Gold outing, which can be for up to 5 days ( We have a number of Private Permissions for Gold etc), they may then not pay up ...  The club is then at risk re Licences and PL.  

The biggest PITA is that some then go back to the Permission and trespass / poach OR badger the owner to let them on...  And it usually means the loss of that permission for the Club.   Some permissions may be from Member contacts and TRESSPASSING and POACHING has to be stomped on HARD......

We do beaches for Treasure hunts OR private permissions.   Public parks are not allowed as they are all COVERED under  bylaws that ALL councils have to follow. A grounds man or ranger does not have authority to grant permission, it can only come from the Director of Parks/Reserves for that Shire etc..

A well managed Club is great way to help new comers and for experienced people to share ( We have a few Technical / Training and Info Sharing days) ... It also means that some build up relationships and often head off across Australia on camping trips...  

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 16:30 by AngerManagement »
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 942

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
A few of the members in this forum are members of the Bendigo prospectors club Inc.
Our costs are over $700 a year for insurance and that is the cheap option by going through the Victorian Gem Club Association. It used to be that an incorporated club could only be sued for the value of the club assets. Now the committee can be sued for their assets. We have extra insurance included in the 700+ to cover this. We get all detecting members to pay $2 each per club outing and with the profits of a monthly raffle this covers the costs.
More than half our members are from areas away from Bendigo and our outings are usually 3 to 4 days for those who can get away.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

26.67%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Now the committee can be sued for their assets.

YES, some people just assume they can say things or provide advice and NO BLOW BACK.

Hence as a Club member and some one that is interested in keeping Detecting as a self regulated hobby...  I endever to ensure I do not give incorrect advice; but the problem is that many may disagree BUT get personal in their response.  Rather than understanding the implications and that I may just be the messenger.

I have offered to have a Police  Public Prosecutions Solicitor and a Barrister come and have a chat; not to push the laws but to explain some of the finer points that so many make and assume.     

After a number of breaches across Criminal and Civil over the last 45 years and having many Solicitor's as close contacts; some due to my time in Contract Law...  It is always handy to know just how far you might be able to push on some points...  AND importantly who can be squeezed and who are untouchable...

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
All of the above posts are why I no longer have anything to do with clubs of any kind.
Over complicated, Over managed and too many people wanting to be in charge of or disagreeing with something or other.
Funds are always miss managed and used for purposes other than club activities.

Members not contributing and leaving everything up to a few committee members. Not enough members attending general meetings and often not enough to form a Quorum
Too many rules and restrictions. 
     There is always some lead person who believes he/she  knows more than everybody else and insists that their ideas are best....You cannot escape these people, there is at least one in every club. Clubs are a P.I.T.A 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

73.33%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
I have always avoided clubs for some of the reasons Adrian has espoused.  Though, I think it is unfair to say that “funds are always mis managed (sic)’.  But I think it is more about me than anyone else. Most of my working life was as part of a team and I enjoyed it immensely. However I spent most of my working life in the military and emergency services where teamwork was developed and discipline was paramount. My experience with clubs has been as an outsider and I must say, that after watching the TV series, ‘The Detectorists’, just how closely their depiction of clubs echoed my observations.  Having said that, I know that most club members are pretty decent people.
Clubs need knowledgeable and honest leaders who inspire their members through leadership and balanced discipline. The type of leaders I worked under and whose example I strove to emulate when it was my turn to lead. Therein lies the problem I think. Some leaders don’t understand how to use discipline wisely and too many people buck discipline and have no self-discipline.
Many people prefer to be a member of “The self-admiration society.”
All that aside, I honestly wish any existing or proposed club the success they strive for in this litigious and over-regulated world.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.
Cartwheel penny.
Groat.
1878 US Silver Dollar.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full.

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline Willo

• Platinum
  • Adopt a glass "half full" attitude when detecting

10%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61

• Total Badges: 39
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
G'day Folks,

How many are in Detecting clubs? What do you like/dislike about them?

We started our local one yesterday here in Central Queensland and got 18 people at the first meeting.
A good group too, and a nice chance to meet the people that you talk to on social media.

We are at the infancy stage and will be selecting our club name, committee, writing our charter and getting all the paperwork lined up so we can go official as soon as possible.

Any hints or tips on running and managing a club would be great, I don't plan on getting too involved in the running of it once the setup stage is complete, there are people far more suited to that in our group.

Should be fun I hope.

Happy Hunting

Clegy

Clegy it is simply not worth it given the legal risks involved.  Better to keep it informal, private and social Ian
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab E-trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab 25 pinpointer, Garrett Propointer
  • Oldest find: 1700s Chinese coin
Follow Willo on youtube! See my metal detecting adventures at: http://www.youtube.com/user/1963Willo

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

26.67%
  • Liked:

Once set up and a Good  Code of Conduct it is easy....

Not many rules in a club... Do not Pinch stuff or commit fraud / Respect others with different views / Respect the Criminal and Civil codes.

After that you have the Main Committee and a working committee - KISS and try to not over do it or please every one.

For many it is the social  side as when away on camp; those not detecting stay back and get ready to greet those returning with Love / Affection and Food  PMSL.  Usually the mob back at camp are to under the weather ....

Other time some one may not feel safe staying away and in the bush on their own - so a chance for them to learn and grow.

Many people prefer to be a member of “The self-admiration society.”   To True and FB is fully of them across all topics:

Like every club there is always the Core / the Middle and lots of Floaters but what I see is lots of New commers that think the Gold guys will hand over GPS points of the honey Hole.  And that they need no training or understanding of equipment etc... And will find a couple of 1930 pennies on teh beach and retire a mega rich person... 

Thus after 15 / 20 years the floaters are becoming the PITA as they often do not understand that Australia does not have the  history that many other places have.  That being said, those that stay are often the ones you want to stay :-)

A club to support the Hobby OR blow your own trumpet  - Not always an job, no mater which you choose.

Online Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

66.67%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1513

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
After all that drama you mentioned AM why even bother with a club!  The part about others going back to try and obtain their own permission would be the one that would get to me.  I don't even like showing up to a site with 3 members as I've seen it rattle a property owner  or two who denied permission.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

26.67%
  • Liked:

The club has been running for many years...

And it soon becomes clear who is there for the right reasons...

And we have had member hit a pocket and call others in..    And other times they plug away and find a bit and only speak up at the close of the club outing..  But all done with respect, even the token hunts can be fun...  Always a few Fine Cotton options and all good fun... 

We have raffles and often get Free stuff from sponsors to give away...  Besides the Tea/coffee a cake after a meeting is the best time..  Many of us go out and inspect Cars / Campers / other gear and it just helps...

Some have other private permissions and it could be Fishing / Gold or Shooting so about building a community BUT with that said; you have to try hard to kill the weeds b4 they get a good hold... I mean just look at Mel :-(

Also there is politics and some movement to join with other Prospecting and Fossicking clubs etc to give a bigger face to the politicians re  access to places etc...  Some one has to do it....

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 942

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
An extract from our club newsletter. The Book mentioned is our outing book. Everyone who attends one of our outing must sign the book for insurance reasons. We get members to leave a rego number in case they go missing. Bpc has between 70 and 100 members. The Victorian Seekers try and limit their membership to 200. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1829

• Total Badges: 40
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
...The part about others going back to try and obtain their own permission would be the one that would get to me.  I don't even like showing up to a site with 3 members as I've seen it rattle a property owner  or two who denied permission.

Yep, that's a concern with me too but luckily I have detecting partners I can trust to do the right thing and we have spoken directly and agreed about this type of thing.  Even so, I also would hesitate taking more than 2 others with me onto a private permission and generally only go with 1 other (plus up to a couple of kids or females - not being sexist (I hope) but I think it shows your not just in it for the "riches").
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:19 by Detectist »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer, GPX5000
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

43.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Great replies and thankyou all.

I really hope the club gets up and running, we have discussed many of the issues brought up here and we won't be immune to issues. I just hope that we can work through any drama and keep the club alive.

The lack of any organised prospecting/detecting association in Queensland is what led us to the decision to form the club, also the access to some of the govt stuff as far as grants, access to fundraising etc etc.

I'll keep everyone posted how we go and you may like to try and get something up and running in your area.

Its such a solitary hobby at times, hoping the club scene puts a bit more social back into it.

Happy Hunting

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny

clip
Started my bottle collection yesterday

Started by Tracker on General Detecting Chatter

5 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 00:39
by Tracker
xx
HelP with detecting club

Started by markoss on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 13:06
by markoss
xx
Detecting club directory

Started by lxss5000 on General Detecting Chatter

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 16:35
by Rwork
xx
Does anyone have end of year Metal Detecting club fieldtrips?

Started by Bower bird on General Detecting Chatter

5 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 00:34
by Bower bird
xx
Brisbane Metal detecting club, Minelab day

Started by Rwork on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 19:59
by Rwork
xx
Detecting Local History