collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Cricket Buckles Section started by Sambo.  (Read 35109 times)

Offline purgatori

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: clontarf qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Cricket Buckles
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 17:57 »
heres my cricket buckle I have no info on it
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Etrac at pro
  • Oldest find: 1827

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

96.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1353

• Total Badges: 30
    5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53 »
Have a few more I need to post but I will post this one as it is unique.  In the past I have found 1 part of the buckle but never a complete one.   Apeears that the belt was attached to the buckle re a rivet (see rivet on left one)

The smaller detached piece is the front plate off a larger buckle.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline downunder

• Gold
  • You will never know,if you don"t dig it

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37

• Total Badges: 31
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 17:11 »
Just looking at the buckles and what do i see ,Relic-Hunter-Timmy has got one the same as i have,but i have got another part to the buckle with a stamp mark on it. :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Explorer II,Explorer SE,Pro-pointer,Excalibur 1000
  • Oldest find: 1810. Pualau Pinang Coat of Arm series East India company-Bengal(two flag) half Cent (Half Pice) copper
Once what was lost,now can be found.

Offline Laurence

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Emerald Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 12
    Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 17:34 »
Just looking at the buckles and what do i see ,Relic-Hunter-Timmy has got one the same as i have,but i have got another part to the buckle with a stamp mark on it. :)
I hope this helps you the mark on your buckle is a British  Design Registration Marks for the years 18442 to 1867  .The I the top is the material in your case metal, the letter under that is the year date in your case it is J which 1854 the letter. to the left is the letter which is the month  A  is the month in your case it is December and to the right of that is the day in your case the 13th , the R D in the middle stands for registered design and You can ignore the number at the bottom of the diamond - this tells us how many items were included in the registration so your buckle was made on the 13 .12 1854 .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Xtera 705 , Bounty Hunters , Rustler ,Tracker IV , Quick Draw
  • Oldest find: A match box in the shape of a coffin

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 742

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 23:14 »
Good reply Laurence, the registration mark info is in our Resource section but its always easier if someone else works out the info.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 20:50 »
Diamond registration marks had been removed by someone. They are back in Resources now.

Offline Willo

• Platinum
  • Adopt a glass "half full" attitude when detecting

60%
    • I live in: Canberra
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61

• Total Badges: 38
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 21:40 »
Here is one I found in Nowra NSW:

Willo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab E-trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab 25 pinpointer, Garrett Propointer
  • Oldest find: 1700s Chinese coin
Follow Willo on youtube! See my metal detecting adventures at: http://www.youtube.com/user/1963Willo

Offline Ironman

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: U.S.
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 11
    Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 17:47 »
Hello again,

Here is the buckle I found in the U.S.  I was able to reverse the image of the registry mark.  Any help would still be appreciated.  Is there a book on cricket buckles?  This would be a fascinating venture for someone if there isn't.  These are very intriguing to me!

Thanks!
IM
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 17:48 by Ironman »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: White' MXT/Gold Bug Pro
  • Oldest find: Farthing
HRD (Happy Relic Diggin)

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 19:12 »
A nice looking buckle,did you have a look in resources at the links about your diamond registration mark ?

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

20%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 22:11 »
The mark on Ironman's  buckle looks very similar to the one Downunder put up a few posts up. Very nice buckle  and would be unusual to get one in the US I would have thought.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Ironman

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 12:04 »
Rwork - Thanks for the kudo!  Yes, I looked at those in "Resources" along with reference materials I have here at home.  "Thank You" for the info.!!  Unfortunately the problem I am running into, is that where the parcel number is suppose to be there is a letter "A" and where the year of manufacture letter is it looks like a number through a loupe.  (not quite sure what number)  This would be using the legend for 1868-1883 because the other marks fit.  Using the legend for 1842-1867 it would be the same problem.  Where the letter for year of manufacture is there is the number"13" and where the parcel number is suppose to be there is a "K".  I am still stumped?

Tasrog - Thanks!  Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised as well when I found it from the early 1870's site. 

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 12:40 »
Could the K stand for number 11 ?   A1 B2 C3 etc.

Offline Ironman

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 23:49 »
Rwork - I don't think so.  According to the legend, it should represent the month of manufacture, which would be November.  Everything I have found from this site dates to the early 1870's or before.  I believe the year of manufacture and parcel number have been reversed.  If this is true then the "A" would represent the year 1871.  But then again, I am only speculating.

Offline Tassie_Jack

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Wynyard
    • Metal Detecting Adventures Australia
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 23:58 »
I would give my right and left arm to find a cricket buckle it is my number 1 sort after relic, lord knows i have hit some ovals that been in use for well over a century and not found one yet. I also been using magnifying sheets on old history books which have cricket team photos, still not seeing one in those books either. Wonder does anyone have a book or internet site that gives a good reference point on the buckles?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 350 Ace 250 AT Pro AT Gold Sea Hunter Infinium GTI 2500. Minelab SD2100 Explorer xs Explorer SE Pro. Whites Gmt. Teknetics T2 LTD
  • Oldest find: 1865

Offline jmp333

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Melbourne Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50

• Total Badges: 27
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 21:48 »
Tassie Jack, I found a cricket buckle some time ago on a BPC outing and recently went on a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground museum, my main interest was looking for cricket buckles. They had about twelve on display in different areas and some still had the material belt attached. They had quite q few original photos of cricket teams displaying the belts. They told me that they had removed a lot of the complete belts and buckles from display as the light was starting to damage the fabrics. They had put an article out about the buckles in 2008 in their Museum journal which I got a copy of. It mentions amongst other things a cricket buckle that was found on a bank on the River Tweed in Scotland in 1979 and has been dated to 1830 to 1840 to a West Indian team as it has the native Barbadian palm tree on it. I have searched for a book on cricket buckles but am not aware of any.
JMP333
  • Detector(s) owned/used: minelab 4500.Xterra 705 dual coils Ace250
  • Oldest find: Gold/Cricket buckle/ 1842 Queen Victoria Six pence

Offline Tassie_Jack

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Wynyard
    • Metal Detecting Adventures Australia
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8

• Total Badges: 21
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 22:37 »
Tassie Jack, I found a cricket buckle some time ago on a BPC outing and recently went on a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground museum, my main interest was looking for cricket buckles. They had about twelve on display in different areas and some still had the material belt attached. They had quite q few original photos of cricket teams displaying the belts. They told me that they had removed a lot of the complete belts and buckles from display as the light was starting to damage the fabrics. They had put an article out about the buckles in 2008 in their Museum journal which I got a copy of. It mentions amongst other things a cricket buckle that was found on a bank on the River Tweed in Scotland in 1979 and has been dated to 1830 to 1840 to a West Indian team as it has the native Barbadian palm tree on it. I have searched for a book on cricket buckles but am not aware of any.
JMP333
Looking at a photo down here, none of the men had buckles on in the team shot.  This is a photo of my local team date is unknown but around 1912 is most likely as that is when the photographer who took it was filming this town.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 350 Ace 250 AT Pro AT Gold Sea Hunter Infinium GTI 2500. Minelab SD2100 Explorer xs Explorer SE Pro. Whites Gmt. Teknetics T2 LTD
  • Oldest find: 1865

Offline jmp333

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Melbourne Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50

• Total Badges: 27
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 13:29 »
OK the MCG article states that the Cricket Buckles were first introduced in England in 1854 and they make a fascinating study as their are many designs. Apparently local hotels sponsored the Cricket teams on our gold fields and I trust all players of the team were given a belt or bought at a reduced price? The MCG article states the belt buckles  went out of fashion at the end of the Great war as some batsman were given out incorrectly after they managed to touch  the end of the bat on the buckle which made a snick sound which the umpire could interpret as the ball hitting  and gave them as out.  I know that one of our Forum members has a very good knowledge of the belt buckles and might reply to this post.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: minelab 4500.Xterra 705 dual coils Ace250
  • Oldest find: Gold/Cricket buckle/ 1842 Queen Victoria Six pence

Offline relic_hunter_timmy

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Bendigo, Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 17
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 16:21 »
another
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-Trac, GPX5000, CTX3030, GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1756 British Half penny

Offline bottlehunter

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: erskine park nsw
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 24
    Seventh year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 17:17 »
Some awesome buckles in this thread. Got this one today at our old church site.

( Cricket buckle award posted for another great buckle. Rwork)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:17 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ctx-3030---x-terra 705---garret pinpionter
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 18:32 »
I will add 8 pictures i took at the 2010 Bottle show near Maryborough in Victoria. They had a lot of flood lights so i was unable to reduce the glare on the glass.The people running the show took them off the counter for me and i put them out of the glare as much as i could. Some others members from the forum had exhibits over the weekend.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 18:37 »
And some more from the 2010 bottle show.

Offline relic_hunter_timmy

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Bendigo, Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 17
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 16:52 »
2 more nice buckles to show
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-Trac, GPX5000, CTX3030, GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1756 British Half penny

Offline purgatori

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: clontarf qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 18
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28 »
Heres a new one I found a few days ago enjoy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Etrac at pro
  • Oldest find: 1827

Offline GippyGrump

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Traralgon
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 10
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 08:12 »
Found this yesterday.

The wording is, By Play Divided, In Heart United

• Detector(s) owned/used: X Tera 70
  • Oldest find: 1867

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30 »
Having a look back through the 3 pages of pictures posted,i would be surprised if any other forum anywhere, has so many different examples. Searching through google images doesn't bring up many Cricket buckles.
I found another on our site posted by Ross brown ,Toowoomba.

I wasn't able to transfer the picture but will have a try at moving his post. It must have been made before we had a spot put aside just for these buckles.

Tried merging the posts and ross browns post became first. ::)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:53 by Rwork »

clip
Badges, Buttons and Buckles (not Cricket Buckles)

Started by purgatori on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

309 Replies
Last post January 07, 2018, 16:52
by Notalot
clip
Two buckles

Started by Snoopy36 on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

8 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 02:57
by DiOz
xx
Buckles

Started by Rwork on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 19:20
by Rwork
clip
Cricket Buckle??

Started by Count Pierre on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

7 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 22:06
by Timfromtallarook
xx
Is it a cricket buckle.

Started by Shane-o88 on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

14 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 04:48
by hatch
clip
Need some help with cricket buckle

Started by purgatori on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 09:48
by purgatori
thumbup
Unusual cricket item

Started by bundy06 on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 21:40
by ohb1

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything