collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Questions  (Read 4487 times)

Fatchook

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Questions
« on: January 25, 2012, 21:30 »
Hey everyone
Im new here and hopefully some of you with experience can answer some of my questions.
The only metal detecting I have ever done was one day many years ago up in Clermont with a hired detector and no luck at all.

I've always wanted a metal detector specifically for:-

finding old coins & relics, gold nuggets

Places I imagine I would go to use it:

beach (for jewellery, coins etc) and bush (relics, old coins, nuggets)

Do I need a permit to detect on the beach?  I live on the Sunshine Coast in Qld so thats where I would be looking mostly.

I have been doing my own research and the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV seems to be ok for what I want to do with it.  We were camping on the weekend and I just thought while we were sitting around doing nothing, times like that would be ideal for a bit of treasure hunting :)

Has anyone got any recommendations they want to offer up?  I don't want to spend a fortune (but I do want something decent) as it might sit in the cupboard for most of its life.  I also want something thats easy to use and light.

I have been trying to contact Treasure Enterprises for advice (I know the website says they retired but it keeps having new *updated* dates) both by phone and email with no replies or response so where does one buy a detector these days?  Also where can I get one of those scoop things with mesh to use as a shovel in the sand?

On the Treasure Enterprises website it says not to buy off Ebay because those haven't been calibrated to Australian soil?  Is that a selling tactic?  Where and how do I get one that has been calibrated?  What sort of warranty is available in Australia?  Does it sound like the Bounty Hunter is for me?

HELP!

**edited to say** would like to spend up to around $500, not after cheap and nasty. Would that get me anything decent? Definitely doesn't have to be Bounty Hunter

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=8985.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 23:14 by Fatchook »

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 742

• Total Badges: 50
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 22:14 »
Re.
I've always wanted a metal detector specifically for:-

finding old coins & relics, gold nuggets

Very hard to get a machine that is good for coins and works well on gold. Plenty of advice out there so we shall see what is offered.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Coffs Harbour
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 20
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:38 »
I've been going through the same process but my budget has been severly reduced recently. I have been looking on ebay and there is currently a X-Terra 705 on there for a buy it now price of $520. I'd be looking at that or similar for sure if I had a budget of $500.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Explorer SE, China GC1038, GPX5000, Garret Pro Pointer Past: Teknetics T2, Whites TDI Pro Oz, Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
  • Oldest find: 1889 English Penny, 300 million year old gold nugget
2014 Goal
Get back on my feet again.
GC1038 - $21.80 ($58.10)

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:17 »
Apologies, when I said X-Terra 705 I actually meant AT Pro

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garrett-Pro-Metal-Detector-/140688698927?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item20c1b32e2f

I have nothing to do with the auction, just thought it was a reasonable deal
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Explorer SE, China GC1038, GPX5000, Garret Pro Pointer Past: Teknetics T2, Whites TDI Pro Oz, Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP

Fatchook

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:46 »
Funny you should say that because after I posted my original message I started looking at the X Terra 705 and the AT Pro. I like that you can get the X Terra with 2 coils to suit my purposes, just worried they may be too advanced for me???  I can work most things out, can anyone give me a heads up in how easy either of these two are to use?  Is it like comparing apples with apples between the X Terra and AT Pro?

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

30%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 13:46 »
The Tracker IV  is an OK fun machine and will actually work in a lot of ground conditions,: it won't be any good over wet beach sand(detects the salty sand) but will work over the dry sand.For what it is, this little detector works well.

The 705 and the A T Pro are worlds away from the tracker IV in capability and features.
The A T Pro has the advantage of being WP to 10 feet.

There is not a fantastic difference between the Pro and the International and if it was to be your first detector you would not complain no matter which one you purchased. The A T Pro International is said to be better suited to Aussie ground conditions and has a different iron discrimination spread..

No special brain power is required to operate either the A T or the 705 but they do have a longer learning curve than the Tracker IV due to the extra features.

Just an opinion.

Cheers,
Adrian SS
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Fatchook

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 16:34 »
Thanks Adrian

Am open to any suggestions as any unit I buy is going to present a learning curve :)

My guess is I will mostly be using it on a beach as we live on the coast but I'm also near Gympie so would like to give that a crack.  I know of a spot where there used to be a school and I found a couple of old coins one day while looking for a geocache

Offline Goodbeard

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: North Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633

• Total Badges: 24
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Questions
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 16:48 »
Fatchook, bought my first detector in November, and got a 705 with both coils because I hope to try out the goldfields one of these days.  The 705 is dead easy out of the box, turn on and start swinging.  Once you dig a few coins you get used to things and then you'll start playing with some of the settings.  It seems to do pretty well at the beach too, but I only have a 2 hours experience on them unfortunately.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 - Xtrerra 305 - Xterra 705 - Garret pro pointer - Tesoro Silver Umax - Garratt ACE 250
  • Oldest find: 1806 George III Penny

Fatchook

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 17:05 »
Thanks Goodbeard - valuable feedback

Offline Aussie Detecting

• Platinum
  • www.aussiedetectors.com

0%
    • I live in: Bendigo Vic
    • Aussie Detecting & Prospecting
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 17:13 »
Just curious to find out which detector you purchased & how you're getting on?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Too many.
  • Oldest find: Roman coin
It's all about having fun.
www.aussiedetectors.com

Fatchook

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16 »
Hey willy46, unfortunately I still haven't bought anything, its been a bit of a shocker with rates, water, electricity, phone all arriving at the same time.  But still leaning towards the 705.

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 19:26 »
I dunno if its any help to you but I pay my rates and electricity by the week, I just used my banks internet banking to set up a weekly bpay, $50 to council and $50 to electricity and each quarter I am usually a little bit in front and no big bill to think about!.

Fatchook

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 20:11 »
Cheers Ben78, it's one of those things I keep saying I must do and never get round to it. Will be setting it up now though, don't want a repeat of this February!

Offline junker

• Platinum
  • You are not lost , if you dont care where you are

0%
    • I live in: Avoca Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3322

• Total Badges: 27
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 21:02 »
HI fatchook i have Xterra 705 goldpack cannot fault it, never had any problems ,i have owned it five months now,easy to use,and nice and light. i bought it after doing a little research,i didnt look into garretts didnt occur to me at the time, but since then i have read on this forum people have had problems with the early model at pro, the at pro international has been designed for aussie mineralised soils and is ok, so ive read.it was mentioned by one forum member that someone was importing the problem at pro and selling online, when problems occur, they have to be sent back to the united states for repair because its not covered by warranty, be cause it was not sold by a authorised dealer in australia.wich is a bit of a downer.i went for the xterra because it can be sent to the company in Adelaide if any problems ocurr, what ever you choose i dont think you can go wrong if you by from a authorised dealer .just my two cents worth, good luck.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ExTerra 705 , GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1800's wax seal stamp, 1826 shilling , 1861 H/P.

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

76.67%
    • I live in: Fraser Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 370

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 21:14 »

For you, Fatchook,   Fisher F5.......hands down,  no contest.! ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils (retired)- ML Safari with RNB Battery,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

20%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 22:13 »
Howdy all,
  I have just bought a BH IV and will let you know how it goes.  I found this post in a forum which gives me hope it will be ok in  wet sand as I live a 2 minute walk from a beach and have 2 parks even closer.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=56761
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

20%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 21:29 »
Gday all,
 now had 3 short sessions after work with the BH4 and find it easy to use . Have used it in the backyard for a few sinkers some car parts and a my one and only coin of any description so far which is a 1953 shilling. Took me the 3rd trip which was a quick trip to the nearby beach b4 I found a pull tab but have made up for lost time with them. I am digging everything at the moment so am finding lots of rubbish. I think that the machine is a good beginnners MD and am very happy with it so far. All i got to do is wave it over the right ground.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny

Offline GadgetGirl

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Qld
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 12
    Fourth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 13:52 »
Ben78 - I just logged back in after ages!!!  Been trying to find what you eventually bought first up and what you have now and why.  I cant private message you, so hoping you find this post

Tasrog - how you going with your BH IV?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 14:13 by Fat_chook »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Pro Find 25

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 19:42 »
Started with a Fisher Gold Bug Pro as I wanted to find coins and nuggets. Ended up enjoying coin hunting so much I wanted to upgrade from the Gold Bug and bought a Teknetics T2 which was just awesome. During the time of the T2 I still wanted to find gold so I bought a Whites TDI Pro Oz and had some good times with it. Also found a chunky gold bracelet on the beach with it. I was always certain that I was probably missing gold with the Whites as the gold here is typically small and I put a plan together to buy a GPX5000 which I did.

I wanted something to hunt the beach with too which the GPX is great for but bloody expensive to run in a saltwater environment and the T2 is very noisy on the beach so I sold it and bought a Minelab Explorer SE. It is also a bit chirpy on the beach but in the parks it is fantastic. I don't find I need to run it super slow and I also find it recovers fast enough in the nails/trash to pull the silver coins.

I don't regret any of my purchases as they have all been part of the learning journey. The only machine that 'owes' me money is the GPX but if I need that money back they seem to sell quick enough when they are genuine confirmable sales so its not an issue for me. PLUS the GPX has found me a couple of pieces of gold now so no complaining there!

BTW I am currently in credit with both the Council and the Electricity company - no surprises!

exclamation
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Started by tailofdog on Bounty Hunter

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 22:19
by Tasrog
xx
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV falsing

Started by simonfcw on Bounty Hunter

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 21:43