collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Hot ground  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 697

• Total Badges: 50
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Hot ground
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:53 »
A member put up a post and then deleted it. Basically asking where we thought was the hottest ground or most mineralisation. I have hunted WA and Vic but never Qld. We have members from SA and Qld who come here to Vic for a look around. Interesting to here how the Qld ground compares.  Personally i think Wedderburn would be the worst ground but my 5000 handles it ok. At the Wedderburn token hunt i notice the Sov will sound off if i leave it on full power. This is the only place that it happens.  Marksmans 7 at a Wedderburn farm had him digging a large target for nothing. Now he is more used to it he may run on a different setting. Forget your AT gold and other coin machines in these areas. By the time you get to run them quiet they will have no depth. We get people coming out on Bpc outings with some inferior machines. They say they are only going to use them until they find enough gold to buy a good machine.  :) Doesn't work like that.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=28610.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Detrack

Re: Hot ground
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 17:24 »
Ray, What you talking about the ground is hot everywere after todays 40 plus >:D
Sorry mate its the heat ;D

Offline PhaseTech

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10

• Total Badges: 4
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 15:28 »
Some of the hottest ground I've detected:
The slope leading up to Beggary Hills
Kanowna just out from Kalgoorlie
A particular spot in the Yeppoon district 
A slope on the western side of Amherst 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SDC, GPX, GPZ, Fors, Vaquero, Bandido II umax, CTX
  • Oldest find: 1700s Chinese Coin

Offline neddy

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: adelaide
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 23:32 »
About fifteen years ago I was detecting in wederburn township they were digging up the streets replacing drains. Nuggets were being unearthed. I got there too late and missed out. There was a stretch of ground there which was undetectable. There was a detecting club camped at beggary hill for a few days. The day after they left a detectorist detected  the ground under where there had been a tent. He heard a faint signal and at 2ft unearthed a 43 ounce nugget. I was shown the nugget and handled it it was about the size of a cricket ball. But a lot heavier. It was offered to me to buy for $30000. That's what I call a hot ground spot.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ETRAC Explorer2 Excalibur Fisher Gold Bug 2 GP3500 Whites GMT
Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 15:53 »
Hi Rwork
It was probably me that started that thread,  I removed it as it was a bit premature and I was going away for a couple of weeks,  what I am doing is field testing a new ground balancing gold PI machine in aussie gold fields and am looking for the worst ground to test it in. So far all the ground its been tested on has balanced no problem so looks like Wedderburn is next on list, thanks.

• Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 17:48 »
It is not the ground balancing that is the problem, it is how much depth you get after the balance. Trevor P tried a machine over the weekend, balanced ok but had to be nearly touching a 3 gram nugget to hear it. 

Offline Banjo

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 21:00 »
Ray, when the 7000 came out there were lot's of people struggling with it in Vic/WA, the only ones that seemed to be getting on with business and thoroughly happy with it were our Qld counterparts, now iv'e never detected there so i can't comment but can only deduce what i can from that and that was the ground they were in wasn't too bad but i did ask the question of JP on another forum but didn't get an answer.

6666, bring it to the Pilbara, i am sure a 45+ degree day will be a good test for it  :) 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Zed, SDC, GPX 5000, CTX 3030, Excalibur, Vaquero and Compadre, GP3500/2200D green machine
The earth can provide for all mans needs
but not for his greed's

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 22:32 »

bring it to the Pilbara, i am sure a 45+ degree day

No thanks I just had 2 weeks in the blistering Pacific heat ;D

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 22:34 »

Trevor P tried a machine over the weekend,

Has he written anything here about that machine ?

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 07:28 »
Not a PI unit, one of the Tesoro range. 

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:41 »
Not a PI unit, one of the Tesoro range.

Thanks for the info, I pm'd him but no reply.

Offline trevorpickettau

• Platinum

3.33%
    • I live in: Victoria Melbourne
    • Yarraville West Weather
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 933

• Total Badges: 44
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Coin of the year Coin Of the Month Winner Nugget Under 1 Ounce The TON Round 50 Cents Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Roo Penny Rising Sun
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 16:33 »
Was the tesoro vaquero i was trying works well in the goldfields but not on gold, the coil i was testing was the nugget finder evolution 17 by 13 inch coil only had it out for one outing so can't really tell what its like will be a few more before i can comment on it
the 11 inch elite though proved itself a very worthy coil
  • Detector(s) owned/used: compass yukon,Garrett ace 250 and 350 and AT Pro, Gold bug 2, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Lobo Supertrac, Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Cortes Minelab Gpx 4000 Minelab E trac

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20 »
Thanks for the info TP.

Offline jacksonT

• Copper

16.67%
    • I live in: Ballarat,Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 4
    10 Posts One year Anniversary First Post
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 17:41 »
I spent 4 days detecting just south of Wedderburn late Oct. and had to stop using the DEEP mode on my Impact because it became sluggish due to the mineralisation there. I buried a one gram nugget 3 to 4 inches deep and it would only pick it up on every other swing. Further south at Inkerman,Dunolly and Havelock it worked fine. The best mode was the DI3 which gave a loud and clear signal on the test piece. I was on the top of a ridge with numerous workings and rocks and quartz lumps,so the mineralisation would have been higher there also. Absolutely GB,d first time every time on the default settings.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: whites 5000D
  • Oldest find: 1984 2 ounce nugget

Offline Thylacine

• Bronze

6.67%
    • I live in: Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 21
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 14:46 »
DRAKE!  Is the worst place that I have encountered, ironstone and degraded ironstone everywhere, the ground will literally jump 2" towards a good magnet.....

It is extremely hard going with a VLF machine and even when I have been running sluices in the creeks, black sand will clog up the riffles where the gold should settle. 

Drake, it is a bugger of a place if your chasing the yellow. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett's Master Hunter 7 ADS & ACE 350

Offline 14FNX

• Copper

100%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89

• Total Badges: 17
    Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 20:33 »
I have been using my X-Terra around Drake (Long Gully and south) for a couple of years and once I ground balanced, it worked pretty well. Except for the occasional hot rocks that threw me off.  Yes, black sand is a pain when chasing gold there but I found that by increasing water flow I minimised the amount I collected.  Maybe I was just lucky but it did seem to make a difference.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use to own: GoldSeeker 15000, Ace 150, BH Tracker IV, Now own: E-trac, Quattro, X-Terra 705, Excalibur II, Land & Sea PinPointer, Bounty Hunter PinPointer, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Find; 1470’s Spanish coin.
It's not just what you achieve in life: It's what you overcome.

Offline Thylacine

• Bronze

6.67%
    • I live in: Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 21
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 23:19 »
I have been using my X-Terra around Drake (Long Gully and south) for a couple of years and once I ground balanced, it worked pretty well. Except for the occasional hot rocks that threw me off.  Yes, black sand is a pain when chasing gold there but I found that by increasing water flow I minimised the amount I collected.  Maybe I was just lucky but it did seem to make a difference.
I was north of the Bruxner, upper Plumbago and along Sawpit below the old mine where the original diggers lived in the tent city on the hillside. I've been down to Long Gully, Macleods and Timbarra the ground there is hot, even the sandstone conglomerate makes the ACE sing. But there is less ironstone, it is totally different countryside, aside from the same bloody snakes, ticks, leaches and the snakes did I mention the snakes..... 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett's Master Hunter 7 ADS & ACE 350

clip
Found the HOTTEST ground ever today...

Started by Ben78 on General Gold Chatter

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 18:47
by mick
xx
Victoria's worst mineralised ground.

Started by sido on General Gold Chatter

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 05:57