collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Looking at getting this baby.  (Read 663 times)

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

• Fill this by Posting :)
    36.67%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Looking at getting this baby.
« on: October 26, 2017, 16:35 »
Had some tests done on this Vallon which is made in Germany. $3500 -$4000 US. The us navy use them an can be taken down to 30 m. Completely waterproof an folds up into a small package. A fine gold ring with a stoppable signal at  410 mm. You can get secondhand units for as low as $300-850 US depending on condition.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA8YWmxY3XAhUFipQKHVv_BKEQFghAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vallon.de%2Fpdf%2FVMW1_leaflet_10_2012.pdf&usg=AOvVaw09ybwY0oeeH9v8a1FWcKwi

Beeepppnnn.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31965.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Looking at getting this baby.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23 »
Am wondering what you thought about the VMW1.
I will be trying a Vallon VMH3CS in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 18:59 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

100%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 628

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35 »
WOW They make some pretty serious gear!
I love how the products have a NATO serial number. LOL

I'll be saving up the spendie finds for one of these.
http://www.vallon.de/pdf/VXV4_Leaflet_EN_2016_08.pdf?rnd=CB33AE5F1b46500C24WRFFF223DD
Just to cool! 

Happy Hunting

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 19:08 »
I am not sure about the VMH3CS, but for 365 AUD inc 101 express Inter postage I though it was worth a shot.
The few review videos that I have seen are poorly made, not very conclusive and only show the detector finding pretty shallow stuff.
Anyway the tecta I purchased is supposed to arrive around the 22 Nov if I am lucky. Good or bad, it is going to be interesting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 17:16 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 17:20 »
Looks like I was lucky. This tecta works very well indeed.

Gave the Vallon a try at pine Island.
The Normal mode was a bit noisy over the dry sand. Mineral mode was very good and signalled strong on one dollar coins at 12 inches+. and steel bottle caps at 14 to 18 inches.

Cons.

Pinpointing was a bit vague for a mine detector.
The tone is high frequency and becomes annoying after a while.
There is an electronics test cct that produces an intermittent short tone in the earpiece that indicates that the detector is working correctly. (A self test cct)
This tone becomes very very annoying.
The detector is heavy and unbalanced at 5.25 pounds.
It needs normal HPs.
The arm rest requires a support strap.
Needs a skid plate.
Doesn't like the coil being bumped against rocks.
No EMI cancel that I am aware of.

Pros:

Runs a silent threshold but I doubt that the detector misses much from the surface to China.
Very sensitive to small targets. Close to matching the SDC on gold chain above 6g. Stronger than the SDC on Aussie coins. by approc 25%.
Built like a tank.
Remembers previous settings after switch off.
Water proof coil to a metre and a bit.
Has Auto and manual ground balance.
Really good machine for dig it all salt beach detectorists. You will be digging deeper than with the Inf, Sov, SS, Sea Hunter and possibly the Dual Field. The SDC is much better on light weight gold chain  from approx 6g to smaller than 2.5g than the Vallon VMH3CS....That does not make the vallon bad.

Just an opinion. Not gospel.
I still like my Gold bug Pro. :D

I will post more info as I gain exp with this machine.

You can read the operators manual here:
http://www.vallon.de/download/Vertrieb/GB_VMH3cs_oper_manual_soft_1_14.pdf

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 17:25 »
Here is a bit more

25/11/2017

Gave the Ground balance a run in mineral mode this morning.
In the Mineral mode the detector was able to quieten some significant slabs of maghemite and ironstone to a level where I could hear easily, some 0.63g to 1.2g nuggs through 1.75 inches of solid maghemite ......Single slabs of rock do not equate to gold field conditions where the entire ground to significant depth is ironstone.. but even so, most of the detectors that I have tested over these rock samples that have been able to ground balance them to near on silent have performed reasonable well over mild  ground.
I figure that if you have one of these tectas then it would be worth giving it a run in the not so hot gold fields. The manual states that the mineral mode can handle laterite.

just an opinion

So without modification this tecta is capable of finding some small gold in fairly tough ground but at the same time it will find every tiny bit of rusty iron.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 699

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 19:14 »
I guess the pipe clay heaps wouldn’t be as mineralised as the rest of the goldfields around here. Tried a Nokta which worked ok on them. Our GT ground is fairly hot though.
Unread posts doesn’t show this post. You have to go down the list and check all that show a flame.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 20:26 »
I started my gold detecting in the Triangle between 59 & 61 when we lived at the Vale....Used a ww2 mine detector.

Pipe clay would be zero problem for the Vallon but the heavy iron areas might challenge it a tad.
I have only tested it over some slabs of ironstone and maghemite and it detected through those reasonably well at approx 50% sens in the mineral mode. It was ok at 100% but the local EMI effects were excessive......Meaning I could still hear the targets through the EMI noise.

This detector needs a bit of tweaking to optimise it for our gold fields although as it stands out of the back pack I reckon it would be worth giving it a try.

The manual states:
Quote,
Along with its digital signal processor the metal detector uses the function principle of an advanced pulse-field specially improved by Vallon. It can work also in strongly mineralized soils, like laterite, magnetite, magmatite as well as in shallow water (salt and fresh water) and under the electromagnetic influence of main power lines without affecting the detector’s sensitivity too much.
Unquote.

The term Magmatite is a bit vague because it refers to any igneous rock.
I used maghemite 2kg slab. ...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 20:36 by Adrian ss »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

46.67%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 18:08 »
Had some tests done on this Vallon which is made in Germany. $3500 -$4000 US. The us navy use them an can be taken down to 30 m. Completely waterproof an folds up into a small package. A fine gold ring with a stoppable signal at  410 mm. You can get secondhand units for as low as $300-850 US depending on condition.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA8YWmxY3XAhUFipQKHVv_BKEQFghAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vallon.de%2Fpdf%2FVMW1_leaflet_10_2012.pdf&usg=AOvVaw09ybwY0oeeH9v8a1FWcKwi

Beeepppnnn.

Looks interesting but not much info beyond the sales brochure available for this detector, no user video that I have seen.

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 22:27 »
Back from trying the Vallon VMH3CS at the beach.

It works very well and is sensitive and deep searching.
    Response to Aussie one and two dollar coins is exceptional and locates these coins in wet or dry sand from the surface to better than 15 inches with a fair signal on the deep coin.
    Bobby pins and steel bottle caps were a pain because the detector has strong response to ferrous items. I guess being a mine detector the pulse timing is set for this type of metal. But at the same time the response to small gold items is very good while not being as deep on the larger deep gold items as you might think it would be.
     Normal mode can be used anywhere on the beach and does produce some weak false signals in the wet sand that is not a problem.
Curiously the Ground balancing Mineral mode was more noisy than the Normal mode over the wet sand. Even though with the GB well set and with no response when the coil was bobbed up and down above the sand, the detector false signalled  a bit once scanning was commenced....Not sure why that was the case?

I was able to run the sensitivity at 12 out of 14 (Led Display) and could  have run at max but at that setting in the water  I found the false sigs to be annoying.

The ground balance was not driven to max low (Salt sets low and Iron sets high) over the wet sand and there was plenty of range remaining......Maybe it would handle dry salt lakes ?? Just guessing there.
The 5.25 pound weight of the detector was not a problem and I was able to swing the machine for a couple of hours  before my arthritic elbow said give it a rest.:lol: 
     The weather was a bit stormy and the tecta likes lightning and was pinging quite loud on strikes that were approx 30 k distant. I left the beach when strikes were too close for comfort.  It was raining and the tecta did not seem to mind although it would be wise to not let the HP socket get wet or submerged in salt water.

In short:
I like the VMH3CS PI at the beach. It will not miss many targets and will make a few high end machines sit up and take notice. It is excellent second hand value for money at a few hundred Aussie dollars and for beach detecting PI buffs, this tecta is hard to beat.for the price (second hand)

I might add though that the VMH3CS is/was a few thousand dollars new. So I guess it is far from Low end.

I have discovered that I was not using the correct Ground balancing procedure on the beach and it is likely that is the reason for the ground noise over the wet sand.

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

36.67%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 15:11 »
Hi Adrian,

Ordered a Vallon yesterday and i am hopeing it will be here for Christmas. Been talking to a guy in the states who has the excalibur, Whites dual Field. & the Vallon. He uses the vallon all the time and is prepaired to dig all the rubbish as with a p.i. 

It is a lot deeper than the exc & the dual field. Looking forward to giving it a swing.

Regads Beeepppnnn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 16:35 »
VMH3CS:

Air Test at sensitivity 14.(Max)

Mode Normal.
I dollar Aussie coin = 42 cm
2 dollar Aussie coin = 34 cm

Mode Mineral.
1 dollar Aussie Coin = 35 cm
2 dollar Aussie coin = 28 cm

SDC 2300:
Air Test at max sensitivity.

Norm mode
1 dollar Aussie coin = 24 cm
2 dollar Aussie coin = 19 cm

Salt mode at max sensitivity.
1 dollar Aussie Coin = 25 cm
2 dollar Aussie coin = 23 cm

Clearly the vallon is better for coins at the beach.
The SDC is  better for gold than the Vallon........Makes sense cos the Vallon is a mine detector with Pulse timing optimised for iron/steel and the SDC is set up for small gold.

18k 3.2g x 32 cm gold chain

VMH3CS:
Max sens Normal and Mineral mode = nil response to chain. The clasp detected at 2 inches.

SDC 2300 Max sens in Normal and Salt mode = weak response at 1 cm. The clasp detected at 4 inches.

Both the vallon and the SDC 2300 managed approx 22 cm on a 9k 34 cm x 18g gold chain
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 16:58 by Adrian ss »

Offline bicter

• Bronze

60%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51

• Total Badges: 29
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 18:13 »
Adrian,
Thanks for taking the time to share your measurements. It certainly sounds like a good way to get into beach detecting (where u dig everything) cost effectively.
With the gold chain, is the 3.2g  the total chain weight? If so what would be the weight or size of each link
Thanks
Terry
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 21:35 »
Approx weight of each link = 0.03 g 

My Gold Bug Pro can find this chain at approx 10 cm not inc the clasp. There is no beating a high frequency Induction balance tecta that can Gb wet salt sand if you want to find the really small jewellery items.

However in my opinion you can not go wrong with the Vallon VMH3CS for value for money and detecting ability on salt water beaches at the current second hand prices. I know of no other Pulse Induction metal detector new or second hand that costs between 300 and 400 dollars AUD that can match this detector for raw detecting ability in a wide range of ground mineral conditions.

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 21:52 »
Will do a comparison test against my Whites dual field once it arrives. It was posted today in Poland so i might have a good chance by Christmas. Have some fine gold chains that i have found with my Whites v3i in 22 frequency so it will be a big test with the Vallon.

Regards Beeepppnnn.

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 22:46 »
This was my first p.i. back in 1978 designed by Eric Foster when he worked for Protovale. The battery compartment was underneath the control panel and completely seperate so if a battery did explode which it has happen to me it was easy enough to clean it out and neutralize it. It was a great detector  great depth and discrimination. Tops for finding $1 & $2 coins. 

A mate of mine in PERTH still uses it today. The head phone is a bone conductor.

Regards Beeepppnnn.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 07:58 »
 I have not seen any of Erics early PIs for a while now.
Like the Aquastar, Deepstar, BeachScan Woodtec and Superscan. although I still have a few of his catalogues which include air test distances for the deepstar inc TX frequency/pps, Delay timings, Pulse window timing, and current consumption.
    These detectors were pretty good.
I have catalogues for almost every mainstream metal detector made since the early 70s and tech specs n ccts  for all whites old tectas from 1946 to 1971.
     I guess when I go in wheels up all of this info and stuff will wind up in the bin :'(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:00 by Adrian ss »

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything