collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Koss UR30 wrinkles  (Read 185 times)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    66.67%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 537

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Koss UR30 wrinkles
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:38 »
Hi all, this is just a bit of a whinge about the Koss UR30 headphones I have (of which I have 2).

One is a set that came with the CTX when I bought it and is my regular use set, the other is a set I purchased locally from a detectorist that has spent 90% of its life packed away.  Both are maybe 3 years old now.

I noticed my regular set were starting to fall apart, more specifically, the plastic coating on the muffs, so I grab the back up set only to realise they were doing the same thing.  What I ended up doing was going back to the original set and I simply scraped the peeling plastic cover of the muffs revealing the soft sponge underneath which is still in good condition (for now) and I guess I will have to do the same on the second set.

I dont use any creams or sunscreens, and I get that contaminants can breakdown the supple pvc section of the muffs but didnt expect the second set which were hardly ever used and kept indoors away from UV rays etc to be in a similar condition.

I know there are spare muff section that can be purchased separately, but the thing that sticks in my mind is "Why should we have to?" I mean you supply a product, it should be at a level of quality to match the machine it is supplied with.

I have a set of waterproof headphones in transit at the moment, I hope that the quality of those are better than the supplied Koss UR30's...Oh and besides (a blessing in disguise I guess), the headphones with the PVC coating removed are actually much more comfy and result in less moisture/sweat around the muff cuffs.

Rant over.  Have a good day.  

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32365.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 742

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Koss UR30 wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 13:50 »
I put up with the cuffs falling apart and ended up buying replacements from coiltek. The originals had gone hard and the new pads are more compfortable. I notice the outer layer starting to peel off on these also but at least they are nicer to wear than the originals.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

70%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1623

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 16:15 »
All cuffs are the same in most cases...  

The inner is Air or Foam of some sort...

The Cuffs are like the coil cables and Insect replant / Suntan loation / etc will destroy the cuff. 

Same on any Head set with prolonged use - they all rot away and often go all powdery.

I use the Gel pads on my Koss and my GGA as that is the killer...   The Piezo setup is identical, it is just the Outer cup weight and different grade of plastic.  GG are too heavy unless in the water.  But Koss and good gel pads and some soundproofing on teh internals = 110% better than GG for my hearing and use. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

70%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 492

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:40 »
  Both are maybe 3 years old now.

I noticed my regular set were starting to fall apart, more specifically, the plastic coating on the muffs, 
...same story with the GG's....had to purchase replacement pads last year...the plastic deteriorates with age (as does rubber on car tyres)...It doesn't necessarily have to do with sunscreens, oily skin etc!
ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

66.67%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 537

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:56 »
Good (in my case at least) that it seems to be a common problem.  

For those that still have wrinkly falling apart surface on the cuffs, take a few minutes to peel off the bits and tidy up the edge, they are really more comfy without the plasticy bit on them anyway.  

If you have any bits that wont peel easily, just rub them with your finger and it will come off or loosen enough to peel.

• Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

50%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2192

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 14:28 »
Same here.. just the age of the product.. limited shelf life  :(
you would like to hope that if you purchased new UR30's that they hadn't been sitting in a store room for a few years!

...same story with the GG's....
...the plastic deteriorates with age (as does rubber on car tyres)...It doesn't necessarily have to do with sunscreens, oily skin etc!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything