collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Picked up a Dual Field Sunday  (Read 635 times)

Offline bicter

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    36.67%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
Picked up a Dual Field Sunday
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:40 »
Very happy chappy, having picked up the Whites Surf Dual Field on the weekend.
Previously, I was using the Safari on the wet sand but the lack of waterproofing worried me and a PI seemed to be the way to go given I dig all targets.
So I eagerly took it for a run over at Coochiemudlo on Monday to get a feel for its operation.
Wow, I thought that beach had been flogged...... obviously not, unless the newer detectors can definitively differentiate between gold rings and ring pulls. Plenty of decimal coinage in fairly toasted condition and a couple of goldies.
I was pulling old style ring pulls out of the shell grit at 8 - 10 inches (solid signals) and when I turned round at the end of the beach it looked like a war zone along the low tide mark 😀
Heading down the GC on Monday to give it a serious run where the rubbish shouldn't be as prevalent.
So if you see me and my mate working the GC beaches on Monday, come  and say g' day.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32240.0
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:43 by bicter »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 747

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Picked up a Dual Field Sunday
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:16 »
Does the name Dual Field mean for Water and dry ground? Are they submersible?
I have never had a Whites but constantly hear how well they are built.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

36.67%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 14:46 »
Dual Field refers to the coil as far as I can determine, the Surf naming tells it is a water detector. Whites claim waterproof to 100ft.
It isn't a new model.
Read all about it here https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/surfmaster-pi-dual-field/?lang=gb
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI

Online whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3024

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 16:48 »
bicter , as long as you don't mind doing a lot of digging i reckon you will enjoy the D.F.   One thing i have noticed is that to get maximum depth requires a very heavily overlapped swing with the deepest targets sounding off in a narrow band of around 1 Inch . But i mean deep targets , i reckon you will dig coins like 20-50 cents and Florins deeper than you would have ever suspected . If your back can take it i reckon you will be posting up some gold soon . Good luck .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline bicter

• Bronze

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 17:00 »
Thanks for the positive feedback on thr DF. 
I'm used to listening to a GPX5000 so have a fair idea of how quiet some targets can be and also how easily deep targets😗 are missed so thanks for the tip re overlapping swings.
Mate is using a CTX3030 and we intend to compare targets where possible as well.

Terry

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:20 »
Hi Terry,

You have one great detector in your hot little hands. Their is so many ways in which you can apply different settings to the dual field to suit the conditions you are using it in. 

Their is a great book written by Clive James Clynick. and its called The Whites Surfmaster P.I. Dual Field: "An Advanced Guide " Availabe from clives site www.clivesgoldpage.com  &  i think it about $14.95 u.s.

Regards Beeepppnnn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 14:57 »
Thanks for that bèeeeepn.
Had seen that book spoken about on other forums and hopefully it might be in my chrissy stocking this year 😁
What is the story behind the modified coil pic that you posted?

Terry

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 15:50 »
That is an ANDERSON Coil weight that counteracts the buoyancy of the 12 inch coil .What i have done is put about 100mm of heavy sand inside the stem above the coil and sealed that off with play doe and then added small lead shot and filled that up to the clip that joins the stems. I took that clip out and sealed that off with play doe  at then replaced the clip. A little bit heavy to swing out of water but not to bad.

I also have a Whites coil bracket that holds the coil in the one position and stops it from flopping. You get a bit more drag with the weighted coil and bracket but thats not a bad thing. Another way is to get a plastic tube and fill it with sand and  hold it  on with plastic tyes  or a bag of marbles in a sock and you can remove it if using out of water.

When using it with a high threshold gain at 3 or full on and delay at just past the click Start listening for a echo on the target. There is quite a few ways to set the detector up for different conditions.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db

Offline bicter

• Bronze

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 16:38 »
Bèeeeepn,
Thanks again. 
Initially I don't intend going in past ankle deep but that will change I'm sure. Especially when I get to some inland waterholes I know of so will investigate weighting the coil then.

Out of interest, did you find the lead shot in the shaft desensitised the detector at all?  We found with the gpx5000 that any metal in the near field reduced the sensitivity hence the carbon fibre shafts.The whites lower shaft also appears to be non metallic but does have some small metal in it in the form of clips and the clip.

The main driver for me in getting this detector was to use PI tech for a bit more depth and at the same time not have to worry about dropping it in the drink. The Safari was working great on sand but not waterproof.

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 21:33 »
Hi Terry,

With the sand of 100mm and the the play doe from the bottom of the shaft near coil to the sinkers i am 210 mm before the lead shot so no problem desensitizing the detector.

Regards Beeepppnnn.

Online whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3024

Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 07:59 »
That is an ANDERSON Coil weight that counteracts the buoyancy of the 12 inch coil .What i have done is put about 100mm of heavy sand inside the stem above the coil and sealed that off with play doe and then added small lead shot and filled that up to the clip that joins the stems. I took that clip out and sealed that off with play doe  at then replaced the clip. A little bit heavy to swing out of water but not to bad.

I also have a Whites coil bracket that holds the coil in the one position and stops it from flopping. You get a bit more drag with the weighted coil and bracket but thats not a bad thing. Another way is to get a plastic tube and fill it with sand and  hold it  on with plastic tyes  or a bag of marbles in a sock and you can remove it if using out of water.

When using it with a high threshold gain at 3 or full on and delay at just past the click Start listening for a echo on the target. There is quite a few ways to set the detector up for different conditions.

Very interesting about different setups , i am afraid i just turn mine all the way up and go for it . I cannot adjust the delay because anywhere over the click causes my machine to go spastic emitting a constant pulsing sound . I have had many problems with mine but when it's going it finds stuff very deep.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

66.67%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 21:34 »
Making a light detector heavier may seem stupid but, having recently tried to hold down the Excal after extending the shaft and moving the controls & battery back I can understand it.
Its not just that it floats but you have to push it down all the time.
The foam grip on the Excal moved 3 inches in 4 hours, and they don't move easily.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1828 George iv sixpencde

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 22:25 »
I agree flcooper1 

I always use mine hip mounted. It makes it a bit easier to handle and with the 12 inch coil you need to move slowly through the water to help against the drag and helps to keep an even threshold.

Regards Beeepppnnn.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 22:40 »
Already set up for hip mounting, new batteries fitted, O-ring checked and raring to go on Monday morning. Safari will be taken as a backup as well 😀
Just need to fit a magnet in the back of the scoop for all those pesky bobby pins and small bits of rust.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 22:41 by bicter »

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 22:59 »
Hi Bicter,

One very important thing with the dual field as the o ring is made of a different composition than the black rubber on the earlier models. DO NOT PUT ANY SILICONE GREASE ON THE  O RING.

And its a good idea to have  a spare one on hand.

Regards Beeepppnnn.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

80%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123

Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 17:31 »
Already set up for hip mounting, new batteries fitted, O-ring checked and raring to go on Monday morning. Safari will be taken as a backup as well 😀
Just need to fit a magnet in the back of the scoop for all those pesky bobby pins and small bits of rust.
There are many types of magnetic material available for scoop magnets.

I use the strip from a fridge door seal cut to fit.

ivanll

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

66.67%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 18:06 »
I favor microwave magnets.
60mm wide 15mm thick doughnut shaped allows you to zip tie it in anywhere you want.
Check the ties once a month.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1828 George iv sixpencde

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

63.33%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 538

Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 18:04 »
Small, light weight but really strong magnets can also be salvaged from damaged hard drives (and I mean strong, so take care when putting a couple of them together).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

10%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 08:15 »
I'm restoring an ex-army truck and made magnetic drain bungs for the diffs, engine and gearbox by drilling the bungs and glueing small rare earth magnets in the holes.
I bought them from this Australian mob.  https://magnet.com.au/
Huge range of sizes and shapes. The postage cost me about the same as the magnets, and I bought 10.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just thought I'd point you all to a good resource site.

Greg.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, Minelab CTX3030

thumbup
PI DUAL FIELD

Started by tailofdog on Whites

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 16:29
by tailofdog
xx
Anyone having success with a Dual Field (here in Oz)?

Started by Looking Man on Whites

13 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 21:42
by ozjesteroz
xx
Surf Master PI Dual Field

Started by tonyw on Whites

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 12:35
by aussiedigger
question
WHITES PI DUAL FIELDS