* Share it Around

Author Topic:  New member saying Hi and what should i buy?  (Read 14014 times)

Offline Hopeful Hunter

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Perth Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 12
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
New member saying Hi and what should i buy?
« on: March 31, 2013, 20:10 »
Firstly, I hope this is the correct part of the forums to say G'Day.

My name is Chris, and as yet I do not own a detector, its only recently that we (my wife and I) started to consider buying one. We initially thought of getting a detector specifically for finding Gold, but the cost and the realisation that we probably wouldnt be dedicated enough to make it viable caused us to reconsider.

After talking further about it, we both came to the conclusion that what we were really interested in, was a coin or relic detector. Something much cheaper and more suited to our existing enjoyment of just getting out and about whenever we can, not just the  Goldfields, but more generally the Wheatbelt part of Western Australia, or just about anywhere just for a day out.

Having a detector would add another dimension to our enjoyment of the bush, and also be a bit of fun too. The question, like just about everyone starting out, is what to buy?

Oh no!.I hear you all cry, not another one!

It seems to me, in these first few days of looking on the WWW that a half decent detector for newbies such as us dosnt have to cost an arm and a leg. So far, we are thinking something along the lines of a Garret 150 or a 250 around the $250 mark. Are we setting the bar too low do you think? We would I am sure, end up using it a lot as we do tend to get out and about much more than the average person, and to a variety of places.

The kinds of places i think we would enjoy detecting is say for example around those ghost towns, old townsites or old Halls that seem to be scattered all around the place.

Any advice on what should, or could be our first detector would be most welcome. And we look forward to participating in what looks like a great forum.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 20:19 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 350

Offline eljay

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: South East Nanango QLD
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 25
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: New member saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 20:44 »
Welcome to our world  :) The way i have read the discussions on this forum it would seem that the Garrett ACE 250 is one of the best for a newbie if you don't want to spend too much initially and it's a turn on and go machine pretty much, they are on special at the moment at http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/hobby_div.html  under $250.00 i think and probably the same price at most retailers it's probably a good choice till you get the hang of it then you can decide what you want to upgrade too.

Best of luck
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-TERRA 705, Garrett Propointer, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Seahunter Mark II
  • Oldest find: 1873 English Bun Head Penny

Offline Bundy

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: West of Roma Qld.
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 21:02 »
Welcome Hopeful Hunter and partner,

I am reasonably new to this game as well and I have a Bounty Hunter IV which is also a switch on and away you go but also has the ability to fine tune a bit.

I don't have any idea how the Garrett ACE 250 works but I would think it would be similar to operate. ( I may be proved incorrect on this statement by those who have a greater knowledge on this matter.

Which ever way you chose to go I think you will both have hours of fun and won't be long before you will be looking for a second machine. 

One other piece of equipment to consider is a pinpointer which makes retrieval of finds a lot easier and quicker.

Hope this helps a little. 

Bundy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer, CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-find
  • Oldest find: 1843 Four Pence

Offline RISEandSHINE

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Ipswich, Queensland.

• Total Badges: 14
    10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 21:34 »
First of all Welcome Chris.
You are doing the right thing already, getting on a forum and asking questions.
I have just started up with this hobby and have spent about a month "researching" different metal detectors, what makes them tick, why one is considered better than another, and why some features are important, or not as the case maybe.
There are many on this forum who are very helpful, and seem only to happy to try and answer any questions you have. Often the quickest way to find your answer is by using the search facility near the top right hand corner of the web page.

If $250 is your budget, the Ace 250 is among the good choices IHMO. Metal Detectors are MORE expensive in Australia, but you can source them from the USA much cheaper, however, you need to consider warranty issues if you choose to go down that route. If something goes wrong postage back to & from the USA might add up a bit.

After my research, and not being sure what my budget would be, I was considering maybe the Tesoro Compadre or the Fisher F2. As i was fortunate to be able to increase my budget, I chose something a little better. Google and read the reviews of those detectors in your budget range. Look into why this one is considered better than that one, why and how a certain feature works, and ask yourself is the feature important to you.

Looking at various metal detector reviews on "Youtube" might help you too.

Explanations of how detectors work :-  http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/

I am a month or so further along the track than yourself, so I freely admit there will be very many on this forum who will have alot more experience and knowledge than myself. Looking how long people have been members of the forum will give you a very rough guide to their experience, along with the detectors the have owned or used, and things found.
I have had help from members such as "Alimo88" - "Meggie" - Ohb11 to name but a few, its worth paying attention to their wisdom.

Finally, if my budget was around $250 I would go........... Tesoro Compadre !

I wish you all the best with your choice of MD, and best of luck on your trips out.

R&S
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Vaquero - Bounty Hunter Junior
  • Oldest find: 1901 COIN

Offline Hopeful Hunter

• Copper

0%

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 00:39 »
Wow, lots of great advice already, and now I have been a member for a few hours I have had a chance to surf the forums further, very very helpful. Its also given me the chance to read some great stories of other peoples finds, and I cant wait to get out there and find something. I dont really care what it is, anything is going to be awesome!

And my budget isnt set in concrete, I can go a bit more than $250 odd, just didnt want to go too over the top until I get into the swing (excuse the pun) of things, but I guess a few small finds of the good old Goldies at least would go some way in justifying those extra dollars spent.

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

40%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 504

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08 »
Hi Chris and welcome.  You have come to the right place for a forum to settle into.  I have seen and been a part of several prospecting forums and I have to say that this one is by far without a doubt the best local unbiased forum out there overall.  Its more of a community than most forums I have seen and been a part of.

Oh and dont worry about 'puns', there are plenty on the fourm.... Just the other day I 'coined' one for a forum motto 'We swing for bling!'....Did you see that?  Double pun!!

Anyway, down to business.  From what I have read the Ace 250 will do the job and a good starting machine.  If you have regular access to sites/beaches, it wont take long to pay for itself and in that time you will pick up on certain attributes you would like incorporated into a machine and what you dont.  This will form the basis of your next purchase...Will there be a next purchase?  As soon as you find a few goodies, I'll almost bet on it  ;).

Going up between the $500 to $1000 mark (new) you have the Minelab X-terra range which can be a versatile machine.  Sort of a combination machine which has 2 modes, coin and prospecting.  There is also a variety of coils available for this machine.  Several members here use them (myself included) with success.  There are also slightly older versions of X-terras available but generaly similar specs to current models and most accept the same range of coils as current models which is always something to consider...expanding your hobby without having to buy a new machine each time. 

Keep an eye out on the for sale section on this forum as well, at least you'll know if you buy second hand from here that it will most likely be from a member that wont do the wrong thing by you.

Have fun, look forward to reading about your experiences.

Jay
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Hopeful Hunter

• Copper

0%

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11 »
Thank you Goldnugget. "Swing for Bling!" I like it!

Yes, I think the Garret 250 is sounding like its going to be the machine for us to start with. And I think we will buy local, I realise we could probably get it cheaper off the net, but I would really like to support the local business and build a rapport with them. I guess that way I can expect to get good support, and glean any local hints they may care to share.

Its going to be great re visiting some of our favourite areas with a totally new perspective, and we are both champing at the bit to get out there and start swinging so to speak ;D

Offline The Catseye Cleaner

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Mackay QLD
    • The Catseye Cleaner
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 523

• Total Badges: 27
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55 »
Hi Chris and hi to your partner too. Now I don't want to sound alarmist here but you are heading into a lifetime addiction that very few have ever managed to shake. I am forty seven years old now and have been an addict since the age of 14. I can still remember my first hit, a corroded 10c piece on Seaford beach way back in 1979. As soon as I saw it I wanted more and more, I just couldn't stop.

Like any addiction it will seriously impact your life. You will start to neglect the little things at first, the Saturday morning shopping, the lawn not mowed, the car not washed. Then you start being late for work because you were out all night detecting or you were trying to fit in that early morning low tide. Your mind is consumed by thoughts about where you are going find your next patch of ground. You start driving aimlessly around looking for places to detect. Friends and relatives will stop inviting you to social occasions because you don't have the time anymore. Every aspect of your life begins to revolve around your uncontrollable need to detect. Then one day you realise five or six years have shot by, you've spent all that time and thousands of dollars on your addiction and you just cant stop. Your life is no longer your own.

It is true that you'll hear of people who buy a detector and then sell it a few months later because they couldn't get into it, they are the lucky ones. They never became "users" their addiction never took root. but be warned once it does you will always be a detecting addict, whether you have a machine or not you will always feel that need somewhere in the back of your mind, driving you on.

Sorry about that, but before I give out any advise on what detector to start "using" I just wanted to make sure you understood where you may be heading. Now down to business:

As has been previously recommended, the Garrett Ace 250 is an excellent first machine. Light weight, easy to use, good depth and sensitivity and very affordable. If dry beach and park penny hunting is your forte this is a very good start point. They are not designed with professional prospecting in mind but if you wave a big enough gold nugget under the coil you'll certainly hear it. You can also get an ace 350 but I'm yet to see one in Australia.

It's bigger brother, the Garret AT pro and the Minelab X-terra 705 offer the next level of features. Both have been successfully used on the gold fields as well as for coin and relic hunting although they will not compare on the gold with the top pulse induction (PI) detectors. The AT pro (AT = All Terrain) is water proof to a nominal depth allowing the user to work in wet environments and shallow water.

The X-terra 705 can be bought with a gold prospecting kit as an extra. If you can afford the few extra dollars this is the machine I think would suit you best. They are hot on coins and relics, irocon2 on Youtube is trying to ware out an X-terra. (X-terra 70) He's filmed thousands of finds take a look http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMx_7b885sNSamzPZtbPLOw. When you get to the gold fields, with the extra prospecting package, this detector will give you a reasonably good chance of finding a piece of gold.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 13:27 by The Catseye Cleaner »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Explorer II x 2 + Sunray X1 probe, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett A2B Groundhog, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer X-Pointer Minelab Musketeer Advantage.
  • Oldest find: 1805 - 1806 King George III Large Penny
2015 Totals
Decimals: More than $300 but less than $500
Pre-decimals: 'bout 30 or 40
Tokens: 4
Rings:
Platinum: 0 Gold: 0  Silver: 2  Other: 3 junkers

If it ain't got an 18 on the front it's just another coin.

Offline eljay

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: South East Nanango QLD
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 25
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 15:03 »
Hi Chris and hi to your partner too. Now I don't want to sound alarmist here but you are heading into a for lifetime addiction that very few have ever managed to shake. I am forty seven years old now and have been an addict since the age of 14. I can still remember my first hit, a corroded 10c piece on Seaford beach way back in 1979. As soon as I saw it I wanted more and more, I just couldn't stop.

Like any addiction it will seriously impact your life. You will start to neglect the little things at first, the Saturday morning shopping, the lawn not mowed, the car not washed. Then you start being late for work because you were out all night detecting or you were trying to fit in that early morning low tide. Your mind is consumed by thoughts about where you are going find your next patch of ground. You start driving aimlessly around looking for places to detect. Friends and relatives will stop inviting you to social occasions because you don't have the time anymore. Every aspect of your life begins to revolve around your uncontrollable need to detect. Then one day you realise five or six years have shot by, you've spent all that time and thousands of dollars on your addiction and you just cant stop. Your life is no longer your own.

It is true that you'll hear of people who buy a detector and then sell it a few months later because they couldn't get into it, they are the lucky ones. They never became "users" their addiction never took root. but be warned once it does you will always be a detecting addict, whether you have a machine or not you will always feel that need somewhere in the back of your mind, driving you on.

Sorry about that, but before I give out any advise on what detector to start "using" I just wanted to make sure you understood where you may be heading. Now down to business:

As has been previously recommended, the Garrett Ace 250 is an excellent first machine. Light weight, easy to use, good depth and sensitivity and very affordable. If dry beach and park penny hunting is your forte this is a very good start point. They are not designed with professional prospecting in mind but if you wave a big enough gold nugget under the coil you'll certainly hear it. You can also get an ace 350 but I'm yet to see one in Australia.

It's bigger brother, the Garret AT pro and the Minelab X-terra 705 offer the next level of features. Both have been successfully used on the gold fields as well as for coin and relic hunting although they will not compare on the gold with the top pulse induction (PI) detectors. The AT pro (AT = All Terrain) is water proof to a nominal depth allowing the user to work in wet environments and shallow water.

The X-terra 705 can be bought with a gold prospecting kit as an extra. If you can afford the few extra dollars this is the machine I think would suit you best. They are hot on coins and relics, irocon2 on Youtube is trying to ware out an x-terra. (x-rerra 70) He's filmed thousands of finds take a look http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMx_7b885sNSamzPZtbPLOw. When you get to the gold fields, with the extra prospecting package, this detector will give you a reasonably good chance of finding a piece of gold.

Very true, now this should be a sticky  ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-TERRA 705, Garrett Propointer, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Seahunter Mark II
  • Oldest find: 1873 English Bun Head Penny

Offline Hopeful Hunter

• Copper

0%

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 16:27 »
Ha Ha Catseye, I am already getting an idea of just how addictive this going to be. In fact i am already in a bit of trouble over the Easter Week End for spending too much time in this forum and not outside doing yard work.LOL.I keep looking at the lawn, and thinking...hmmmm, wonder what might be under that grass.

Probably another couple of weeks before we can get our detector, its going to be a long 2 weeks!.

Just took a look at the x-terra you mentioned, and we think that could well be something we upgrade to in the future, but a little out of our budget right now. While looking at the online store of a Perth outlet i saw they had a Garret Ace 350 advertised for $405.00 that might well be the one?
Here was the info they had.
Includes:

8.5" x 11" PROformance™ DD submersible searchcoil (as shown)
Garrett® ClearSound Easy Stow Headphones (with in-line volume control)

Highly Recommended

Coin Hunting, Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting, Competition Events, Dry Beach/Fresh Water Hunting

Recommended
Cache Hunting, Prospecting, Ghost Town Hunting

This detector includes the best features of the world-famous ACE 250 but adds a powerful new DD searchcoil, enhanced iron discrimination and a higher frequency.

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Likes Given: 441

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 18:00 »
Gidday HH.,, and welcome!
I began my detecting with a good brand second hand machine..Used the machine for 2 years (yes, became addicted  ;D) Then upgraded to a more expensive, more advanced second hand machine...
Whatever you purchase, keep in mind the weight (especially if your wife is hoping to use it for any length of tiime), ....I'm sure, that, if you do get into the hobby, whatever machine you purchase, it will pay for itself before you know it.. ;)

Good luck,...looking forward to hearing of your outings, and , in time, your finds...

ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline trevorpickettau

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Victoria Melbourne
    • Yarraville West Weather
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 933

• Total Badges: 43
    Fifth year Anniversary Coin of the year Coin Of the Month Winner Nugget Under 1 Ounce The TON Round 50 Cents Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Roo Penny Rising Sun Wheat Three Pence
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 20:23 »
All good advice i have had the 250 350 and they are good learning machines any of the models like fischer tesoro garret and minelab are good its just up to you and your budget
  • Detector(s) owned/used: compass yukon,Garrett ace 250 and 350 and AT Pro, Gold bug 2, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Lobo Supertrac, Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Cortes Minelab Gpx 4000 Minelab E trac

Offline junker

• Platinum
  • You are not lost , if you dont care where you are

0%
    • I live in: Avoca Victoria
  • Likes Given: 3308

• Total Badges: 26
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 20:55 »
Congrats on becoming future  addicted detectorists , what catseye cleaner says is totally true , my ute is off the road indefinitely because of money problems , haven't detected for two weeks , was going stir crazy not being able to go out , only have my wife's sedan and cant go off the main tracks because its too low , but my wife let me out yesterday and today , she was sick of me i think , only got one Chinese coin yesterday , and nothing but ,22 bullets and casings , and a small meteorite i think, not magnetic , not lead , quite heavy, i am not really sure at all , but i am contented now . :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ExTerra 705 , GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1800's wax seal stamp, 1826 shilling , 1861 H/P.

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%
    • I live in: Hamilton Hill W.A
  • Likes Given: 131

• Total Badges: 33
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24 »
I agree with Eljay - mods make Cats eye cleaner's post a sticky.

My advice hopeful, get the best you can afford. I would rate the f2 over the ace 250. I would seriously consider the compadre if we are talking cheap detectors. Next up in quality buy secondhand. An old minelab sovereign or explorer, perhaps a second hand garrett at pro or xterra 705. The better machines hold their value so if you don't become a tragic you can always get most of your money back. I see you are in Perth, perhaps I will see you out there sometime.

Tommy Cash     
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Detector- Minelab Sovereign Elite, 15" WOT - awaiting the ressurection. Minelab Excal 1000 -blue headphone beauty, Anderson travel shaft, 1600mh Battery. XP DEUS. Makro pinpointer. Digging Tools- Lesche. Mirage diving knife. Beach Scoop - Stavr
  • Oldest find: 1838 Sixpence
Metal detecting - God's way of redistributing wealth.

Offline Goldwar

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: NSW
  • Likes Given: 114

• Total Badges: 18
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 13:11 »
Hi chris and welcome to the forum im sitll waiting form y first detector getting close now
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty hunter tracker 4
  • Oldest find: Australian Penny 1941

Offline aussiedigger

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: a time. When in every rightly constructed boys life. Where he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden Treasure.
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 945

• Total Badges: 27
    2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 19:29 »
Hi Chris and hi to your partner too. Now I don't want to sound alarmist here but you are heading into a for lifetime addiction that very few have ever managed to shake. I am forty seven years old now and have been an addict since the age of 14. I can still remember my first hit, a corroded 10c piece on Seaford beach way back in 1979. As soon as I saw it I wanted more and more, I just couldn't stop.

The X-terra 705 can be bought with a gold prospecting kit as an extra. If you can afford the few extra dollars this is the machine I think would suit you best. They are hot on coins and relics, irocon2 on Youtube is trying to ware out an x-terra. (x-rerra 70) He's filmed thousands of finds take a look http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMx_7b885sNSamzPZtbPLOw. When you get to the gold fields, with the extra prospecting package, this detector will give you a reasonably good chance of finding a piece of gold.

Well written once again mate proud to call you my friend .

Welcome on board HH  :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000 / SDC 2300 CTX 3030 / Excalibur 11 with Remote Pinpoint modifications on handle and able to swap headphone capability Using Skullies and Garrett Amphibians All thanks to Joe (Oldbeechnut) /
  • Oldest find: 1817 George III Sixpence (Bulls Head) / Gold nuggets
** WELL IT'S BECAUSE WE ARE *PIRATES* YOU SEE,AND *PIRATES*ARE NOT PART OF THE LOST AND FOUND DEPT**

Offline Mud Guts

• Tin Foil

0%
    • I live in: Forest Hill NSW

• Total Badges: 7
    First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 19:56 »
Well again you guys answered allot of my questions without asking them
G'Day my name is Dave (Mud Guts)
I am also in this situation i think my first purchase will be a AT Pro
But I noticed a 705 in the classified section Would this be a better option as they have similar price point ??
any hoo G'day to all the newbees and I can see this is going to be addictive  8)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garret

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

40%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 504

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 21:29 »
If its the one with the extra coils (inc NEL) then make contact and see if its still available...if I had the dough spare I'd get it.  The machine itself and the 15" WOT is listed on ebay (same username as here) but for the package that was offered here, its good value in my opinion.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

alimo88

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 21:47 »
Fisher over the ace anyday

IMHOO

Offline Hopeful Hunter

• Copper

0%

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 22:01 »
Well, thanks again to one and all.

I am now the proud owner of an Ace 350 Garret metal detector. :D Spent the last hour scaring the bejeus out of the dog! We have a very ordinary patch of garden where its mainly sand and we are trying to grow the lawn back, over the last few months we have been growling at the dog if he as much as sniffs the sand. Then what happens?. His owner comes home with a strange contraption which beeps and whines, scaring him half to death, but not only that, he starts digging bloody great holes everywhere.!.LMAO.

Found a curtain ring and a nail and persisted in digging a hole deeper and deeper until i realised i was right next to the hard stand of the car port..reinforcing in the concrete gives a great signal dosnt it..LOL

Anatway, massive excitement, and cant wait to get out and try it in the field..Oh yes and read the manual and watch the DVD..I will, i promise.!

Offline ossie

• Copper

0%

• Total Badges: 20
    Seventh year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 22:57 »
Well done in your purchase on the ace350, I have a ace250 and detected sporting grounds and found $450 just in gold coins within 4 months  in (custom mode) aiming only for goldies  so well and truely paid for itself in no time.
My advise to you would be read your book and watch your dvd if you have one and if you have to borrow some old coins and practice on them and get used to the different tones and that magic bell tone ;)
Best of all get out there and have fun  ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX5000/ACE250 + x-terra 705. Garret pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1881 English penny

Offline poida84

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: somewhere
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 25

• Total Badges: 19
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 23:32 »
great job cant wait to see you get some great finds :D
i too own the 350 only used it 1 week and found some very interesting items hehehe

good luck in the field might find something that will set your heart racing and wanting to do a dance hahaha.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CURRENT: X-terra705 Used:Etrac
  • Oldest find: 1875 victoria penny

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 660

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: New member saying Hi and what should i buy?
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 20:21 »
Lots of good replies to this post. I have modified the original header slightly and will make it a sticky. It may end up in another section one day.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline agentr31

• Copper
  • Iron Man

0%
    • I live in: Caboolture queensland

• Total Badges: 17
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 21:23 »

HAHAHAHAHAH thats awesome! its how i feel some days at work, you look at the tide times and think I SHOULD BE THERE!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-terra 305
  • Oldest find: 1940 .303 bullet
loves it!

Offline paul_mac1

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Adelaide

• Total Badges: 9
Re: New member saying Hi and what should i buy?
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 19:18 »
Hi Chris and His Partner,
I have the Ace 350 and a Fisher F4, the 350 is easiest to use, switch on and go, and you will find interesting stuff, but the Fisher F4 is better, you ground balance it, and away you go. Its better built, and has great depth.

Both are good in highly mineralised soil, I used mine in the Flinders Ranges just last weekend, with only the odd false signal.

Buy what you can afford, I got mine for a bargain on ebay.

Cheers,
Paul
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Fisher F4 & Garrett Ace 350
  • Oldest find: Nothing yet

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything