* Share it Around

Author Topic:  NEL Coil...Size.  (Read 11329 times)

Offline Radar1966

• Platinum
  • Lost and confused but still working on it

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Perth Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 645

• Total Badges: 28
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: NEL Coil...Size.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 20:47 »
Wossie
Pinpointing with these coils isn't too hard. Use a small tight wiggle and move the coil backwards until sound blanks. Go forwardtill it sounds off again and its usually and inch back from the tip, middle line of coil. I havnt used a NEL but they would pretty much behave as any DD. I have found in parks rusted screwcaps can sometimes fool the coil with high numbers, it will be interesting to hear your results with this coil.

Regards
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-terra 705 15in WOT 3khz, 7.5khz, 18.75khz 6inch digger 3khz Garrett Propointer Minelab Profind Minelab Excalibur 11
  • Oldest find: 1806-1807 George III Halfpenny

Offline Wossie

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Sydney, NSW
  • Likes Given: 452

• Total Badges: 18
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 23:49 »
Thanks again, that is really helpful. I'd read several posts about the 'wiggle back' technique for DD coils but it had never been explained that clearly, and I had just resorted to criss crossing. You have provided a very clear explanation and that makes sense, so I'll give it a go.  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X Terra 705 Gold Pack, Nel 15 inch 3 KhZ Attack coil, Minelab 15 inch DD 18.75 Khz coil, Minelab pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1770-1795 Shan-Lung series Chinese coin, 1857 Smith Peate & Co Half-Penny token, 1863 queen Victoria Penny

Offline Wossie

• Silver

0%

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 09:06 »
Well I've had some time now to properly test the Nel attack coil. I have to say I am very pleased with it. Below are some finds from regional mid North Coast beaches taken over a few days (at the end of winter I might add so this is a sparse hunting ground). Check out the condition of the florin taken out of an eroded sand drift. I have never found a predec in such good nick from the beach. The other strange find in the same location as the Florin was a set of 4 immaculate 1967 English pennies - bizarre I have to say. Perhaps they were all covered up in the high sand by wind drift and never saw salt water.
A more recent set of finds with the Nel was posted elsewhere in Adventures and Outings when I found 7 foreign currencies and 50 odd coins in under 2 hours on a metro beach. 
Anyway, here are some observations:
- surprisingly stable once you get away from power lines. I have even managed to crank the sensitivity up to 28 out of 30 in some places although 26 is a more usuable setting. 
- have been able to use it under salt water but with the sensitivity tuned down to 15. It doesn't chatter too much.
- the weight was an issue when I first bought it (I haven't bothered to buy a harness). But I am a keen tennis player and the swinging motion actually is great for my arm strength. Funny how you don't notice it when you start finding stuff! I do occasionally need to go left handed.
- probably the area of strongest performance are large coins and coppers/ silvers as would be expected.  What has surprised me the most has been the depth that it has pulled out a number of 1 cent coins out of the dry sand. These are on stable metro beaches which don't move much and get heavily hit by other detectors. I have picked them out at at 50 cm plus on high sensitivity. The 50 cent coins at 70 cm plus. These aren't what I am looking for obviously but I think I can expect to get massive depth on pennies and florins in the future. The 1 cent coins are so tiny (although even on the stock coil they give a big signal - but not this depth).
- the pinpointing works fine with the wiggle back technique although that gives you good vertical positioning and I find I also need the pinpointing turned on briefly to give me the lateral positioning. However the pinpointing mode gets saturated progressively in wetter sand, and some soil types.
- downsides: probably the EMI correction is not terribly useful as it is with the stock coil. And I suspect if I do use it then I should tune it manually as I don't have confidence that the auto function is working. However, that said it is probably just best to stay away from wires and houses. Strange looks from the public at such a large coil. I made the mistake of going out the night of the recent siege on a major Sydney metro beach lurking in the shadows and before too long I was bathed in light suddenly. I started walking off fast and the lights followed me! Then I realised it was the authorities which were curious and I stopped and stared at them indignantly at which stage I think they realised I was a harmless metal detector and left me alone...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X Terra 705 Gold Pack, Nel 15 inch 3 KhZ Attack coil, Minelab 15 inch DD 18.75 Khz coil, Minelab pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1770-1795 Shan-Lung series Chinese coin, 1857 Smith Peate & Co Half-Penny token, 1863 queen Victoria Penny

Offline pepper

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Tamworthless, NSW
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08 »
How did you clean up those pennies?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-Trac + propointer
  • Oldest find: 1740-1754 George II halfpenny chinese coin unknown date
A silver a day keeps the doctor away.

Offline Wossie

• Silver

0%

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 11:54 »
I didn't mate. One in particular looks almost mint. They came out of the sand just like that. I was quite shocked, but my theory is they were dropped in dry sand which got quickly covered by wind-blown sand. They were above the high water mark although a recent big storm had cut away a heap of sand from the area so they might have got a little recent salt.

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Hervey Bay
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 9
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Nel - 5"
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 15:36 »
I "bought" a 5" Nel on ebay which looked like it got lost.
I had already had problems with aussiedetectors getting my money back,so I was already fired up   >:(
Well after 7 weeks it arrived from England,but the seller told me to never contact him again just before it arrived.
So I did not contact him and he did not contact me = Free 5" Nel Coil   :o
He told me that I was the worse customer that he had in 10 years of business   >:D  thankyou for the compliment I was flattered.
I found another $50.00 on ground that I had already gone over before,great coil   :D
CGS   :angel:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 15:39 by cashgoldsilver »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab SD 2000 - Coil - Standard 11" DD - Minelab Sovereign Elite - Coil - Standard Minelab 10" DD - Teknetics Delta 4000 - Coils - 5" Nel DD - 8" Standard Teknetics Concentric - Garretts Pinpointer.
  • Oldest find: 1912 British Threepence.
Cash is King - Gold is Insurance - Silver is Speculation

Offline goldpick

• Gold

43.33%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 445

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 23:23 »
I bought my last NEL coil direct from the manufacturer (not the Euro site or UK resellers), bypassing all the unecessary middle men with no issues.  I can't see any real advantage to go through a third party for such an item, if anything it just complicates the process - multiple shipping and handling etc.
I do like that fact that you can buy direct from either the manufacturer, or from local dealers for some of the European gear, vs having US manufacturers dictating where you can and can't buy from.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

66.67%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 85

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 17:29 »
13 April 2015

New 3in1 "NEL" coils for XTerras.

http://nel-coils.com/index.php/the-news

It's bound to upset some Minelab  XTerra fanatics like "old longhair" and and his 2 boy friends.
As they have shown a great amount of hostility/dislike to NEL coils  and users thereof.    >:D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 13:16 by ivanll »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

20%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1555

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 01:32 »
Hi,
Just purchased a nel hunter coil for sov gt from you on ebay,hope all goes well & it arrives safe.

Pete.
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline Valerius1906

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Kharkiv, Ukraine
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 3
    First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45 »
Hi,
Just purchased a nel hunter coil for sov gt from you on ebay,hope all goes well & it arrives safe.

Pete.
Thanks, Peter! ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Nel Coils

Offline FSH00

• Platinum

20%

Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 19:06 »
My Nel Hunter coil arrived today while I was doing some main't on the sov gt (good timing).

Was posted on 28/4 (Ukraine) arrived 11/5 not bad seen it was sitting around for a few days (holidays).

Few things I like on these coils are, the support at the front of the mounting lugs ties everything in firmer & stops the coil from folding all the way round backwards so no strain on the lead, a cap on the end of the plug & a Velcro tie for the shaft (2 would be spot on).

Thanks Valerius1906 & the extra gift was very nice (-:

• Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??

Offline Valerius1906

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Kharkiv, Ukraine

• Total Badges: 3
    First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 19:36 »
My Nel Hunter coil arrived today while I was doing some main't on the sov gt (good timing).

Was posted on 28/4 (Ukraine) arrived 11/5 not bad seen it was sitting around for a few days (holidays).

Few things I like on these coils are, the support at the front of the mounting lugs ties everything in firmer & stops the coil from folding all the way round backwards so no strain on the lead, a cap on the end of the plug & a Velcro tie for the shaft (2 would be spot on).

Thanks Valerius1906 & the extra gift was very nice (-:

Thanks a lot again, Pete, for your purchase! :)  I wish you good finds (TREASURE!) with this coil!  ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Nel Coils

Offline FSH00

• Platinum

20%

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 16:40 »
Went out for quick swing in the arvo sunshine with the Sov gt & new Hunter coil to a spot CC & myself have hit plenty of times with various detectors & coils to see if I could coax out some more predecs amongst the junk.

3 Penny's,1hp,2 silvers & some BB's.

Well she worked well with the narrow coil missing some of the junk & allowing me to hone in on the target better,.
Went over some of the targets with the other sov & 13in coil (same settings) but the targets were jumpy or null-ed out & prob would not have dug them with that coil, those targets that were dug with the hunter come from 7.5 to 9 inches with a nice tone, didn't have time to muck around with the iffy ones, was very easy to pick the depth of the targets as the signal drooped off accordingly.
Hope to get out again soon & try it on some modern stuff.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

66.67%

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11 »

Offline FSH00

• Platinum

20%

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 21:13 »
Plenty of options for the racer now ivanll.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

66.67%

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 12:23 »
Agree, with that many sizes there should be one to suite any search eventuality.

It will also make a Makro Racer hard to beat for versatility.

Offline mcdonell73

• Tin Foil

0%
    • I live in: Orange NSW

• Total Badges: 2
    First Post
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 12:25 »
Hi Guys,
I'm wanting to purchase a NEL Tornado for my X-Terra 705 and I've heard some of the guys here that they've bought them directly from NEL. Does anyone have a link to the site? I went to nel-coils.com to purchase but all I could see is a list of their resellers from other countries. And obviously if I go to say the Ukraine reseller it's in their language and I'm not sure how to navigate around in there to order the coil. Could you guys help me out on the easiest way to buy this coil from NEL directly if possible so I'm not stumbling around in the dark? ??? 
 Cheers in advance guys. ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab

Offline FSH00

• Platinum

20%

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 13:44 »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

66.67%

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 17:46 »
There is a dual frequency coil for the X-Terra of same size 13"DD of another brand available from an Oz dealer and member of this forum.

https://detectorist.com.au/collections/vendors?q=MarsMD

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Likes Given: 698

• Total Badges: 34
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Rising Sun The Gold Ring
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 16:22 »
Has anyone used a Nel Sharp shooter on a ATPro & can give me a decent review , i would like any suggestions between it & a MarsMD Sniper coil ? i am having problems deciding which would be better for me & i mainly look for Pre Decs & relics , so mainly old house sites or event areas , maybe parks but i do venture into the beach now & then , please , Gazza .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International , Garrett Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign
Gazza

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything