* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Service of ProPointer  (Read 1157 times)

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

• Fill this by Posting :)
    43.33%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1581

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Service of ProPointer
« on: November 03, 2014, 19:04 »
Unit arrived late this arvo.

Question:
 When you say hyper sensitive; can you add further detail... See Note #  towards end of post.

Observations to date: 

Have just inspected and;

1:   Appears in OK condition on the insides,
2:   Air test looks OK, 
3:   Button all sticky - Tape at some stage ???
4:   Speaker looks clean, and
5:   Externally it looks used... and tip well used.  Not as bad as some   ;D

Actions to be performed: 

A:  Adding water resistant protection to Speaker and LED
B:  Checking and enhancing Battery terminal connections
C:  CCT board lacquer to enhance protection to water ingress and RF interference
D:  Lube of Vibration Motor
E:  TBD

Note #

But I would like to be able to confirm the fault as you experienced it and thus check,  what extra I may need to do and try to confirm that the symptom you were observing has been resolved.

Intermittent problems are the worse and I do not want to send it back " FIXED" and you turn it on and say " Same Problem".

After all, it could be that it all comes back to the type and style of under garments I have on, as to it works for me :o 

AM
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Buttsy

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Fraser Coast
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 24
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Service of ProPointer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:00 »
Hi A.M.
For some reason this propointer falses to the point it's near impossible to find your target. I've used 5 different probes around this area and non of them do this. You turn them on and as you get closer to the target they get louder and vibrate more as they are supposed to do. This one will tell you there are 16 targets around your hole as well ! Hence I said it was hypersensitive ( probably the wrong terminology but hey that's why I sent it to you as I'm only a laymen with electronics). By the way with this issue it's not intermittent it's constant. 
I was hoping it was something obvious but all I can think of now is it doesn't like our mineralised sand and soil here? Weird when non of the others have done it. I'm guessing a field test will be the only way to show its issues. The xpointer works fine in this regard. Will give a review on the xpointer when I give it a bit more of a run. I'm back on a ten day shift at the moment. I now tape my propointers over the switch and speaker. I killed my first propointer that way and Garrett replaced it under warranty and have never had the same issues since I taped them. Obviously I won't have to now.
Thanks for looking and if the issue can't be worked out that's fine. I will talk again when I'm off shift re when I can pick it up. 
Thanks again
Buttsy

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab E-trac, Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1844 shilling

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

43.33%

Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:45 »
I got all confused for a moment there...  And thought you had problems with the Xpointer and or a repaired one...

AND then I realised I still have it and am waiting for you to collect... Pheeeewwww    

It seems to work fine for me...  And my back yard...  But at the end of the day the real test will be in your hands and in the places you detect.....

That's the problem with MD and Coffee; too many variables and trying to reproduce the same outcome is not always easy.

AM

Hi A.M. For some reason this propointer falses to the point it's near impossible to find your target. I've used 5 different probes around this area and non of them do this. You turn them on and as you get closer to the target they get louder and vibrate more as they are supposed to do. This one will tell you there are 16 targets around your hole as well ! Hence I said it was hypersensitive ( probably the wrong terminology but hey that's why I sent it to you as I'm only a laymen with electronics). By the way with this issue it's not intermittent it's constant. I was hoping it was something obvious but all I can think of now is it doesn't like our mineralised sand and soil here? Weird when non of the others have done it. I'm guessing a field test will be the only way to show its issues. The xpointer works fine in this regard. Will give a review on the xpointer when I give it a bit more of a run. I'm back on a ten day shift at the moment. I now tape my propointers over the switch and speaker. I killed my first propointer that way and Garrett replaced it under warranty and have never had the same issues since I taped them. Obviously I won't have to now. Thanks for looking and if the issue can't be worked out that's fine. I will talk again when I'm off shift re when I can pick it up. Thanks again Buttsy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:46 by AngerManagement »

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

43.33%

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 20:36 »
Well after a few calls and e-mail's, it was a case of nothing ventured / nothing gained...
Now the Mine-Lab units are all glued, The Nokta and X-pointer are accessible and the Garret is 1/2 accessible with the coil firmly glued into place.

So why this issue of false responses.
1:  Insulation of coil wire being compromised...  
2:  Dry joints / poor soldering and flexing when the board in inserted / removed.

Any number of DIY solutions seem to be workable... But even then, some are still subject to false responses...

Out came the heat guns = Not feasible, thus the bone/plaster saw.

See pics and findings below.
A:  The coil etc is very securely fixed into place

B:  There is a good 12mm plus between the tip and the ferrite, let alone another 8mm to the start of the coil.

C:  A thick layer of a glue/insulation/tar like material

Thus it should not be easily broken and or crushed. And also explains the extra weight, when compared to others.
NOTE: It was interesting that the pointer would false when bumped on the tip BUT also if pressed around the GAR or on the opposite side .  uuummmmm

On closer inspect and with extra care in this are (lots of time and holding of breath) I found that in this case one leg of the coil wire appeared OK.  The other leg appeared to have some of the protective lacquer missing... By design  or Me or ?

I also observed that the earth strap did not appear to be firmly in place.  They use a bit of foil that is held in place with some tape... And the earth shield is soldered to that.  On closer inspection, it is also the exact area that would cause the unit to false it touched.

Now I can not say if it was shorting to the leg of the coil wire that was scuffed... Or that if during the production process the foil was not fully secured in place and has fractured and causing intermittent signals, when subjected to vibrations...

Needless to say, when the unit is now wired up and the earth shield in place and glued down with some special compound.   It works and NO FALSING....

PS. I do not think I can work backwards and fully restore it  :-X   and even some of the better clear mould material I have is not hard enough for rough scraping work...  Then again, it would make for as an interesting talking piece  ;D    Outcome yet TBD.

So if DYI  solution 1 or 2 do not fix the problem, it will be deeper in the system and that becomes a different level of effort and skills to manage a cost effective and functional outcome.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything