* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Your mate may not always be the best choice...  (Read 1150 times)

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

• Fill this by Posting :)
    3.33%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1540

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Your mate may not always be the best choice...
« on: June 18, 2015, 13:51 »
A Garrett Pro pointer arrived for me to look at....  
FAULT AS REPORTED:   Switch not working correctly and since the Mate tried to fix the switch; the speaker is no longer working...

On first inspection, I looked at all the bits of white silicon and started slow breathing...

After struggling to get the rubber switch out, I then started a slow count to 50
I then reset the count timer and decided to count to 100 :-)

Not sure that I CAN DO MUCH....
  • 1:  PCB appears to have been inserted and not within the guide slots as per the manufacturer intentions
  • 2:  A replacement switch was mounted and hard wired and glued into place.
  • 3:  Can not remove the pcb to inspect = Stray glue, Intentional glue or just jammed in hard !!!  
Once my L/H is operational I will progress the inspection... See pic below.

My gut feel is that I will need to strip the PCB from another dead Garrett ( coil problem - bad falsing) and see if it is possible to get the butchered pcb out without damaging the coil. Thus able to make a good one from two dead ones.

I do things for mates, I know others that help mates out... In general it can work well if the Mate has good skills and experience.  Good intentions are great but they do not make up for good skills sets; when repairing electrical or electronic gear.  And Utube and Google do not always get it correct.

See this short video..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIvUbOhcKE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIvUbOhcKE</a>

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

tonyw

Re: Your mate may not always be the best choice...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 14:43 »
A Garrett Pro pointer arrived for me to look at....  
FAULT AS REPORTED:   Switch not working correctly and since the Mate tried to fix the switch; the speaker is no longer working...

On first inspection, I looked at all the bits of white silicon and started slow breathing...

After struggling to get the rubber switch out, I then started a slow count to 50
I then reset the count timer and decided to count to 100 :-)

Not sure that I CAN DO MUCH....
  • 1:  PCB appears to have been inserted and not within the guide slots as per the manufacturer intentions
  • 2:  A replacement switch was mounted and hard wired and glued into place.
  • 3:  Can not remove the pcb to inspect = Stray glue, Intentional glue or just jammed in hard !!!  
Once my L/H is operational I will progress the inspection... See pic below.

My gut feel is that I will need to strip the PCB from another dead Garrett ( coil problem - bad falsing) and see if it is possible to get the butchered pcb out without damaging the coil. Thus able to make a good one from two dead ones.

I do things for mates, I know others that help mates out... In general it can work well if the Mate has good skills and experience.  Good intentions are great but they do not make up for good skills sets; when repairing electrical or electronic gear.  And Utube and Google do not always get it correct.

See this short video..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIvUbOhcKE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIvUbOhcKE</a>

My Guitar pickup winding is so much less drama haha
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 14:54 by tonyw »

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

3.33%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1540

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 23:42 »
Unit sort of recovered.

New switch and speaker and cleaned up.

Testing seems to suggest it is working but as to how well and for how long ????   Field work is often different to shop testing.

In addition, the methods and process I use may be very different to the way some use their pointer as a digger :-) 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Stealth914

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: NSW nth east
  • Likes Given: 37

• Total Badges: 17
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 14:42 »
I knew I was doing something wrong !!! I'm not using my pin pointers as a shovel bahahaha....
I have now been schooled.
Thanks AM I'll go sharpen the tip.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Now the precious 3030 woohoo,Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab pin pointer 25, Nel Hunter
  • Oldest find: 1846 Four Pence yehaw
Dirt Fishing gotta love it

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam