* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Deus Vs CTX3030  (Read 1613 times)

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Deus Vs CTX3030
« on: May 11, 2016, 16:50 »
Hi all,
I'm sure this question has been covered already, but I couldn't locate it on the forum...
I'm tempted to take up Clegy's special offer on the Deus, but now I'm wondering if I'm better off going for the 3030. The price is about the same.
Read lots on various forums and video reviews and there is no definitive answer on which is better. They have their pros and cons.
I mostly detect in parks, and would like to do more beaches (the AT Pro doesn't do so well their).
I like that the Deus is so light and wireless, but am concerned that it isn't waterproof (or would have to use some kit for underwater). Others have said that the TID isn't as good on the Deus so they dig more junk.
Would welcome your thoughts if you have experience of both machines.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, XP Deus
  • Oldest find: 1826 Penny

Offline Justafisho

• Bronze

3.33%
  • Likes Given: 231

• Total Badges: 19
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: Deus Vs CTX3030
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 19:04 »
I've not used the xp. But I have recently purchased a 3030 and already had a whites v3i. 

I've found the 3030 extremely easy to use. Basically a point and swing machine. However, I usually don't put too much trust into vdi numbers. I work off sound, I have a look at the numbers. But it doesn't usually stop me digging if it's not perfect. If you dig off numbers alone you will leave things behind. 

I also looked at the xp when I got the 3030. The waterproof factor was the biggest decider for me. The whites hates the slightest bit of moisture, so the 3030 is my backup for wet weather. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Ramjet  Metal Detecting on Youtube
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 529

• Total Badges: 23
    One year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 19:18 »
The Deus is waterproof. The only issue is that wireless does not work under water. So there is a clip on wire to send the signal to the headphones and remote. This makes it just like any other detector that has a wire running up the shaft. ie. all of them.
I've never used a 3030 so can't really comment on their performance. My thought is that if you believe they have similar detecting ability then you should consider other issues such as weight, cost, portability and other features. Pick the one that best suits your detecting style. I was going to get a 3030 but after injuring my arm the weight became a big factor. I'm glad I bought the Deus. 
Remember it is upgraded by software meaning anyone who bought one in 2011 when they first came out has the same detector as a person who bought one today. This will continue into the future. There are so many settings to adjust that it is a tinkerers delight but if you are like me most of the time I just turn it on and go swinging. Only making adjustments in the field if conditions require it. I do testing and modify programs at home. 
I hope this helps a little. Good luck with your choice. 
PS Clegy's free hard case deal is a good offer. I love the hard case, it can hold the detector with it's 3 coils, if you have them, plus all the accessories and my cameras. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

Offline Darwoody

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Caboolture,Qld
  • Likes Given: 129

• Total Badges: 22
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 19:58 »
Ok, this is just my opinion, others may disagree or add to this. It's a battle of two high end detectors that has been debated on many forums, especially overseas.
A lot depends on where you want to hunt, as both have their advantages and disadvantages.
The Deus is wireless, and very lightweight (just under a kilo....even less with control box removed), so can be swung for hours with little or no fatigue. It has the option of different frequencies depending on the type of target being hunted. There are three coil options at this stage, although a small coil (5"- 6") is conspicuous by it's absence in the line-up. It has a fast recovery speed which is great for trashy sites. On the beach, it is great for dry sand, and also works in the wet sand. In the water, an antenna option is available as the wireless signal can't pass through  water. The coils are waterproof (although if detecting on the beach, it would be advisable to put some tape over the charging points to avoid corrosion), the headphones are rain-proof, and the control box isn't waterproof unless encased in a waterproof case/cover. The detector can be used with the control box, the headphones (they have built in controls), or both.
The CTX is heavier, although well balanced. It is a multi-frequency machine (great on the beach and in the saltwater). There are four coils available (three Minelab and one Coiltek) from 6" to 17". It's recovery speed is not as quick but doesn't pose too much of an issue with adjustments (and there are a lot of options in this regard). It is a great all-rounder, both for land and water hunting, and is very stable in all zones of the beach from dry sand into the saltwater and is waterproof to 3 metres. There are many adjustments able to be made with all settings depending on your hunting style. It's screen probably provides a bit more info.
Both detectors offer software updates via PC USB connection. Both detectors, being high end detectors, aren't cheap, but are both worth the $$$'s. As with all detectors, if you are able to buy a good quality secondhand machine you may also get one cheaper but with balance of warranty and/or extras.
If your hunting was mostly land based with occasional beach hunting, or if you had an arm injury, I would recommend the Deus. If you hunted both, but spent more time on the beach (especially into the saltwater), I would recommend the CTX. I am fortunate, I have both. They are both awesome machines.
This is just my opinion. I have owned and used several brands of detectors, and am not brand loyal. I use the detector I enjoy using (after all, if it's not enjoyable, why bother) that does the job for me. Others on this and other forums have used these detectors longer than me and have more experience, so may agree, disagree, or add to this advice as they see fit. Hope this helps. Regards, Darren.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 20:02 by Darwoody »
Sweep low and slow....

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

0%

Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 22:02 »
Thanks guys for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.
I'll certainly keep you posted.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, XP Deus
  • Oldest find: 1826 Penny

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 660

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 08:16 »
Shaun, you should get the last couple of editions of "The Searcher". Available through the different App shops. It has a very good series of articles on the Deus.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Online brianincnb

• Platinum

53.33%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Likes Given: 2044

• Total Badges: 32
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 13:52 »
One thing that concerned me, is that the battery in the coils can not be self-replaced.
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/xpforum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38
Notwithstanding that, AngerManagement, has reported some observed quality issues with coil cables exposed to UV
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

40%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1578

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 15:09 »
I have stopped counting the failures in coil cables and headphone cables where there is Salt Water and UV.

The CTX is not such an issue as the coil is mostly protected from UV as it runs inside the shaft.   But the junction at the Coil is like all others; a potential issue.

Not sure if the XP Dues is what I call water proof.  I think the coil may be; but not sure that the rest is ?

I have snorkeled once or twice and dropped the CTX while in the surf and had it submerged and knocked about while I floundered = Still works :-)

If some one wants to lend me their XP Dues = I am happy to try the same :-)

At the end of the day all machines have pros and cons - but you need to seriously consider what you NEED  Vs Think you WANT.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 18:42 by AngerManagement »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 15:10 »
One thing that concerned me, is that the battery in the coils can not be self-replaced.
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/xpforum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38
Notwithstanding that, AngerManagement, has reported some observed quality issues with coil cables exposed to UV

This is old info.  There is a kit available to replace the coil battery yourself. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

Online brianincnb

• Platinum

53.33%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Likes Given: 2044

• Total Badges: 32
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 22:34 »
old for some!  you got my interest.. so I  checked out
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/09/User_manual_UK_V3.0_WEB.pdf
on p. 34:

The three D?us batteries are identical.
The batteries for the wireless headphones and the remote control are easy to
replace as they are connected to the circuit with a mini-connector and double-sided
adhesive tape.
The search coil battery is sealed for obvious reasons of safety and impermeability.
It must be returned to our service department or an XP distributor for replacement.

How to replace the coil battery:
www.xpmetaldetectors.com/videos/uk/47/018-deus-battery-kit

The batteries are guaranteed 2 years parts and labour.

checked out www.xpmetaldetectors.com/videos/uk/47/018-deus-battery-kit
you're definitely a braver man than me Ramjet. I couldn’t see myself using it in the water, after I'd replaced the battery.

This is old info.  There is a kit available to replace the coil battery yourself.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

40%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1578

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:28 »
I might have a go :-)  but would not suggest using in Salt Water on a beach after a repair..  I would be adding a bit more waterproofing material and want a few to practice on first.

Truth be told =  XP Deus for wet ground / grass = Manufactures specs...

As to the the term and use of the words "WaterProof"   Vs  "Submersible"   not many waterproof coils have a depth rating = Not what I would consider Submersible. 

If the Machine etc is not rated Submersible and has a depth rating - Then any so called water proof coils are in reality Splash proof/ Water Resistant / Shower Proof...  

Not to say the XP Deus is a bad machine BUT  not somthing I could recommend as a machine to go wading with at the beach .

The CTX I am happy to wade with and shallow snorkel, as to  3m for an extended time =  May be better with an Excalibur :-=)   

So as to an XP Deus Vs  CTX3030     It is a  Apple Vs Orange discussion  and thus straight back to  what the users intends to use it for.
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

20%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1555

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45 »
I will be having a go at this when the kit arrives, looks easy enough.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 16:52 »
old for some!  you got my interest.. so I  checked out
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/09/User_manual_UK_V3.0_WEB.pdf
on p. 34:

The three D?us batteries are identical.
The batteries for the wireless headphones and the remote control are easy to
replace as they are connected to the circuit with a mini-connector and double-sided
adhesive tape.
The search coil battery is sealed for obvious reasons of safety and impermeability.
It must be returned to our service department or an XP distributor for replacement.

How to replace the coil battery:
www.xpmetaldetectors.com/videos/uk/47/018-deus-battery-kit

The batteries are guaranteed 2 years parts and labour.

checked out www.xpmetaldetectors.com/videos/uk/47/018-deus-battery-kit
you're definitely a braver man than me Ramjet. I couldn’t see myself using it in the water, after I'd replaced the battery.

Didn't  say I wanted to do it myself  ;D just that it Can be done.
Touch the frog.

Offline rocketaroo

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 64

• Total Badges: 13
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 16:47 »
Both do the job, but the ctx more suited to diving. I use the deus in the salt water, it works fine, and I made the controller waterproof by using an iphone4 waterproof case, clipping onto the stem.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

13.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 09:03 »
Thought I would wade in:

Deus Coil is waterproof, with the under water kit it is rated to 5 metres.
The control units need to be placed into waterproof housing as mentioned by Rocket.

Coil battery can be replaced by the user, there is a video at the XP website explaining the process.
6 people I know of have done the replacement with no problems.

I can do it for you, but the downside is that the cost doubles and postage both ways is also involved. Everyone I have spoken to has elected to do it themselves so far.
Lastly if your main detecting area is covered by water then the CTX would be a better option. But if your spending 80%+ on land then the Deus has a lot going for it. I never market the Deus as an Underwater detector because it is not. It is a detector that can be taken into the water in a wading situation. If your strapping on the tanks then take a CTX But make sure your seals have been upgraded. 

Hope my 2 cents helps.

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline projeanant

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Perth West australia

100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 23:37 »
I have an XP it is a brilliant and versatile park/dry sand machine.it can be made waterproof but don't waste your time. The machines chatters constantly and eventually drives you nuts.
But in the dry. You cannot go past tthis machine for usability, accuracy and speed.  You need to make up your mind where your going to hunt.
I've never used the 3030, but it looks like it can be used almost anywhere, but is heavier.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics G2, Fisher CZ-21, Sovereign GT
  • Oldest find: 1895 Dog tag

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

13.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 07:00 »
If your having major drama on wet sand try this:

Goldfield program (10).
Use the Pin Point button to do a ground grab and see if that works.

If Not.....

try the notch ground and notch it about 1-2 points below the ground reading.

If Not...

Lower sensitivity to 80 or even as low as 70.
This can help, but some places, Ross creek Yeppoon, are just plain hard work and even the CTX does it tough there.

Cheers mate

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything