* Share it Around

Author Topic:  First 2 hours with the Deus  (Read 508 times)

Offline John-au

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    63.33%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 127

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce
First 2 hours with the Deus
« on: July 22, 2016, 21:04 »
I took advantage of Clegy's pre order offer on a Deus with the 11inch coil but it has taken me a while to get around to trying the detector out in the real world. I did walk over some ground with it turned on a couple of times but that just showed me I needed to go back and read the manual more as well as testing on targets.
On the 20th July I put in two hours at my pre decimal site I have pulled lots of coins from, but not the same area that I recently went over with the 4 inch sniper coil on the Ace 250. The finds were 8 coins and several other pieces of brass etc from amongst the other trash. Some coins had a badly rusted nail in the hole with them and one hp has iron stuck to it but I am happy to find what I did seeing it was an 11 inch coil and at times would have been over multiples targets.
Program used was Basic 1 with a couple of changes, sensitivity 84, full tones and reactivity 4. I only needed a volume setting of 4 on the back phones. I did change the Iron Volume to 3 but didn't hear much iron anyway due to the discrimination set point of 10 so I don't know if that change did anything.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: First 2 hours with the Deus
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:53 »
Bout time! LOL
Nice hunting mate, your on to it for sure.
The iron audio is basically useless if you discriminate iron out, If you want hear the iron tones drop the discrimination down to 1 and the iron audio on a low setting should be fine to get the responses.

I like to turn it down a fair bit and then the high tones ping through a little better.

The settings you where using are just about spot on to get started with.

Try getting Deus Fast, drop the discrimination to 1 and Change the tones to FULL.
This is basically the HOT program is a good starter when you get to a site, you can then slide into basic 1 or 2 or whatever program suits.

I then set my Reactivity based on avaerage number of targets per swing for the first 10 or so passes.
If you get 3 signal per swing on average then set it at 3, if you get 5 signals then set it to 5 and so on.

If the area is very clean then 0 reactivity and crank up the TX power to get some extra depth.

HOT will tell you just about everything about what is in the ground and you can then decide what you don't want to hear anymore.

Great Hunting and good to see another Deus out there.

Thanks Again

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline John-au

• Silver

63.33%

500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05 »
Thanks for the tips Clegy, I did have some concerns about the lack of depth on air tests compared to my other detectors. Put another two hours in covering a smaller area the next day, I thought I had dug all the good targets but found 3 coins hiding there. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer

Offline Andy1918

• Silver
  • Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness + Effort

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
    • Youtube Channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Sixpence Commonwealth Halfpenny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny The Gold Ring Second year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:25 »
Glegy,
As an occasional Deus user as well, I found your tips very helpful.  What about the settings when you are on dry or wet sand?  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 305, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Pro Find-25
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1881 Half Penny
2017 Goals
1966 50 cent piece: Hoping this year again!
Replenish my pre-decimal coin badges.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:49 »
Hi Andy,

Dry beach is pretty easy and most cases I treat it like a clean park. So low reactivity and high TX power. Start with the DRY beach setting and just make those adjustments.

Ground balance, Manual is best, just cruise around for a minute or 2 and the deus will tell you what to set it. Just match the 2 numbers on the right of the screen. Sensitivity can be wound back if your getting to much noise but it should be close to silent.

Wet sand is harder and can be horrible on one beach and awesome on the next.

Use the wet beach mode and if you need to wind the ground balance down to 00 just do it in manual.

Had a crack at the beach in the wet this morning and Deus is always chatty in those areas but the signals shine through.

If all else fails on wet sand, then use Goldfield program and use the pinpoint button to ground grab.
If its still noisy, Notch out the ground and that should be good then.

Again it will be a little chatty but the signals are quite obvious.

Last tip, I like a high audio response on the beach as depth doesn't matter. You can still tell a surface target from a slightly deeper one, but the smaller deeper stuff you will hear better. Digging at the beach is easy so if you need to go down an extra few inches to get your goody its not hard to do.

On the beach I dig everything but the very obvious iron, and sometimes i dig that too just for a look see.

Have Fun
Happy Hunting
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline Andy1918

• Silver
  • Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness + Effort

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
    • Youtube Channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Sixpence Commonwealth Halfpenny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny The Gold Ring Second year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 19:33 »
Thanks Glegy for the tips, I'll keep these in mind and try them next time.

Sorry John-au for hijacking your thread.  I do like the quality of the Half Pennies that you found.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 19:35 by Andy1918 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 305, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Pro Find-25
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1881 Half Penny
2017 Goals
1966 50 cent piece: Hoping this year again!
Replenish my pre-decimal coin badges.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 600

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:12 »
I noticed a story recently in the Uk Searcher about one of our forum members hunting England. Was it this John or John24gold?  The Deus seems to be light with good target seperation, i haven't come across one on our goldfields yet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:16 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline John-au

• Silver

63.33%

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 16:29 »
I noticed a story recently in the Uk Searcher about one of our forum members hunting England. Was it this John or John24gold?  The Deus seems to be light with good target seperation, i haven't come across one on our goldfields yet.
Not me Ray.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam