* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Deus Day 1  (Read 515 times)

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    3.33%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Deus Day 1
« on: August 13, 2016, 20:28 »
I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Deus. Loving the light weight and compact size. Took it out this afternoon for its first run. A few initial thoughts...

Firstly the WS4 back phones. Maybe I have a funny shaped head, but I find the plastic that sits on top of your ear gets uncomfortable fairly quickly. Also they do seem very flimsy.  Volume control works well and is easy to change while wearing them.

I started off in Basic 2 but it seemed a bit slow, so I tried a few other programs and settled on G-Maxx. To me it seems that the tones and numbers are not as stable or repeatable as I see with my AT Pro, but it's early days and I'm sure it'll take a while to learn it.

Next time I'll adjust the tone thresholds. I see that by default everything from 8-76 is using tone 2, which covers all our decimal coins. Or maybe full tones is the best option.

I was detecting at a cricket field, which I've been at previously and found very little. Managed only $10 and a 1920 6p.
Lots still to learn.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, XP Deus
  • Oldest find: 1826 Penny

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: Deus Day 1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:54 »
Nice report mate,
WS4 backphones do take some getting used to, I found about a month or so and I was good.
They do seem flimsy, but you'll be surprised as they just hang in there. Stronger than they look for sure. 
OK Tones:
Keep in mind Deus is a Tonal detector primarily, so the numbers are a secondary indicator. 
For coin shooting in parks, go Full tones or like you found many targets get lumped in together, you are then digging by numbers and for Deus this is probably the wrong approach.

Full tones will allow you to distinguish targets in high trash, the number may not change fast enough but the audio WILL.
You can always go into the expert settings as well and change those tone break points to whatever you like.
No matter what Program I use I go full tones, once you get our head around it, you won't go wrong.

Programs:
In parks Try 3 (Fast). Load HOT into your remote which is a variation of Fast and it is the BEST starter program for almost any site. You can then adjust to suit the conditions after you know whats under your feet.

G-maxx is a pretty slow program, more a deeper low trash program. Just pump up the reactivity if your not getting the separation. 
As a general rule I use average Targets per pass to set my reactivity.
Average 1 Target per pass, set it on 1, Average 3 targets per pass then set it to 3 and so on. At 5 You'll separate targets that are almost on top of each other and at varying depth.

Have Fun Mate, I guarantee once you get used to it, the AT will get pretty lonely.

Happy Hunting
Clegy 

• Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

3.33%

Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 21:24 »
Thanks for the advice Clegy. I put it to the test today, and I think I'm now a Deus convert.
The Hot program with full tones was super responsive, and the high tones come through clearly. I went to a different park, again one I've visited previously and found a stack of penny's, and a couple of silvers. And a heap of BB's, and maybe $20. Not a big haul by any means, but I'm very happy with these results on Deus Day 2. A couple of times I thought I had a good coin signal but it turned out to be something big and deep, maybe the quick tones tricked me, or I just need more practice. Should I try switching into a different program to get second opinion on an iffy signal?

Offline Andy1918

• Silver
  • Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness + Effort

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
    • Youtube Channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Sixpence Commonwealth Halfpenny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny The Gold Ring Second year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 23:10 »
Shaun,
The Deus is an interesting machine, and certainly takes a little getting use to.  I like it more now, than when I first started using it.  The settings do make quite a difference overall, as there are so many of adjust.
I've recently started using the 'Fast' program for parks (as per Clegy's recommendation), with a few mods.  I go full tones, increase the discrimination, reduce the sensitivity, and where I have detected, the ground balance is a little lower as well (85 or so).  There may even be another tweak or so.
I'm still a beginner, so don't take my advice, just try different settings until you know what they all mean, and how it affects the use of the machine.

A few things I've noted about the machine.  The machine chatters a lot, but this can be reduced by altering some of the settings.  On wet sand, although it still finds targets OK, it isn't that pleasant to use as it constantly chatters.  In parks its speed and responsiveness is second to none and it works brilliantly.  It is light and easy to swing,  It does go deep, and does find very small targets.  The target IDs are OK with targets near the surface, but deeper down they show either very high or zeros (probably applies to most machines).

For the fun of it I did a test of the Target IDs over some gold and silver and this is what I found:

18ct gold:  51-86 (big range)
14ct gold:  54-71 (only two in the sample)
9ct gold:  49-73
925 Silver:  79-96

Now the fun part, gold chains hardly got a signal, if at all (only tested two, as that's all I had),  Broken rings such as a split silver ring only shows a 34.  Another silver ring that doesn't join only showed a 20.  A broken gold ring was jumping all over the place showing somewhere in the 40s.
All the ring pulls, are nicely positioned in the range of the gold.  Uhhhh sigh..., and so is much of the junk.

Best advice, dig all, as you'll never know what you can find.

Personally, while not on the beach, I like to make sure the signal is somewhat strong and repeatable, and the target not too deep.

Shaun, welcome as a Deus user, and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of your machine.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 305, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Pro Find-25
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1881 Half Penny
2017 Goals
1966 50 cent piece: Hoping this year again!
Replenish my pre-decimal coin badges.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold

23.33%

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 14:43 »
Those Big deep Buggers can be tricky sometimes. 
1. Change direction and swing at 90 degrees a few times. Deus sometimes will give a high tone but on a second pass will change its mind. It can get a bit excited at those deep targets on the first pass, I treat it like a warning from the Deus. "Hey clegy, just run me over that one again mate, just want to check something."
2. Try rolling off the targets with the coil and as the edge of the coil comes off the target area you may get a deep iron Buzz. This is a giveaway. 

3. Also watch the horseshoe and for any bleeping on the left hand side. Another giveaway.

Coins, silver etc will not give off that iron buzz most of the time. Sometimes a deep target will, but I like to recheck after the top of the soil is off, a lot of the time this will save some digging.
BUT, If in Doubt, Dig the Bugger OUT!

Andy, Bloody good advice, raising the discrimination to about 5 will take out the deep iron Buzz and it will start to skip the little iron targets. Nothing worse than searching for a target and then having a staple or similar for your efforts.

Gold rings are hard work I will agree, but I am yet to see a machine that will ping them as gold rings everytime.
I think it is no 2 seem to be the same, thick, thin, 9,14,18K, stones in it, broken, squashed, fat one end - thin on the other, orientation in the ground and all the rest.

I think finding the gold rings is kind of a lottery and really anything from 32-80 could be one.

Normally on the first hour I will dig everything and then as that gets tedious I start to cherry pick a bit.

The times I have found Jewellery I was not looking for it and I always get a shock when I see a ring in the hole. I cant remember a time where I said to myself, right this target is a ring. Unless I buried there. LOL

Glad you guy's are having Fun and making improvements, It's nice to see your out there, making changes and customising the Deus to your needs. That's what the machine is about, being flexible and being able to set it up according to what YOU want to achieve.

Happy Hunting Lads!

Clegy 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

3.33%

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 18:12 »
Thanks Andy, Clegy and Peter for taking the time to share. I can see I have plenty of options for tweaking this machine. I'm looking forward to learning it more and finding what suits me best.
I had the discrim set to 5, I'll try turning it down to see if I can hear that iron better.
I bought my machine second hand, though unused, and it came with a 9inch coil. I wonder how much depth I've lost with the small coil. Though I still thought it did a decent job on relatively small, deep targets.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold

23.33%

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 05:35 »
9 Inch to 11 Inch will gain you 2 inches or so in a clean area.
It also separates as well as the 9 Inch.

Having said that I use the 9 Inch 85% of the time over the 11 and even the 13 inch, Its just a nice coil to use.

Learn Your 9 and you may find there are some other options later in the year.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam