collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  XP Deus my unbiased review  (Read 6381 times)

tonyw

XP Deus my unbiased review
« on: August 20, 2016, 18:31 »
Well my Deus has arrived today, next weekend i will review the machine thoroughly over the next few months, get my head around it 1st and learn it inside out, thats the only way your going to know about any machines good and bad side.

I can work a 3030 ok after a pretty solid 3 nearly 4 years, same as i could an AT Pro, its because i bother to learn everything about them, then i cut it all down to what suites me and my style of detecting. Both machines CTX and ATpro were used wide open, i cant see the Deus being used any different, its just the little things you need to refine on any machine that make it what you want it to be and just that little bit better.

Will i be doing a hard core comparison with the CTX? no, indirectly maybe, but not head to head...I will be using the Deus on its own merits though, and 1st and foremost it wont be going on the beach, that job is for the CTX, i am quite happy setting it in beach mode, no GB and just cruising around over all sands and in the water up to the top of the shaft (i dont dive i leave that for the likes of KG1) i used to have to adjust setting all the time on the beach with the AT Pro, same as i have read for the Deus (dry sand, damp sand, wet sand) and thats a pain in the butt.
Whats inside the case?
XP Deus WS4RC28 with 11" coil, i upgraded to the WS5 headphones and bought the hard case as an option.
I have no affiliation with XP or detectorist.com.au. I have met Justin on the goldfields, i found him to be an honest hard working guy trying to make his business work, not only for himself, but the buyer as well.
I received no extras or discounts (other than those offered on the website and of which i paid extra) for my opinions on this detector.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=29788.0

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 699

• Total Badges: 50
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: XP Deus my unbiased review
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 18:47 »
Tony, now you have the rig you should read the ongoing story about it in the UK Searcher. The mag John Winter is associated with. It is available in Digital form. I would think the last 3 or 4 issues have some great info on the rig. I have the stories on my ipad but the system is designed to stop sharing.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

tonyw

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 18:55 »
Tony, now you have the rig you should read the ongoing story about it in the UK Searcher. The mag John Winter is associated with. It is available in Digital form. I would think the last 3 or 4 issues have some great info on the rig. I have the stories on my ipad but the system is designed to stop sharing.

Thanks Ray i will be digging pretty deep over the next few weeks.

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

13.33%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1217

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 19:42 »
nice lookin bit of kit mate & will look forward to the finds & review ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

16.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 22:38 »
First you pinch my FHIOD when I show you a site then you go and buy my dream machine. Nasty bugga aren't you. Cleggy if you read this don't get too excited, dream is the operative word in that statement. :)
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

tonyw

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:47 »
First you pinch my FHIOD when I show you a site then you go and buy my dream machine. Nasty bugga aren't you. Cleggy if you read this don't get too excited, dream is the operative word in that statement. :)
Roger

At least you got to see what a real FHIOD looks like :o and a huge sterling ring in a spot you already hunted  >:D  Take me to your spots any time Rog haha

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

90%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2900

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 07:22 »
Looking forward to your opinions about the deus after a couple of months use . I read lots of stuff about them and have been on the verge of buying one for months but don't quite get over the line . Maybe your findings will give me that last shove ! One of my concerns with it is most of the areas i hunt are very rough scrub and ferns and i wonder if the little French thing would stand up to the punishment . Hope it comes up trumps for you .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

tonyw

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:11 »
Looking forward to your opinions about the deus after a couple of months use . I read lots of stuff about them and have been on the verge of buying one for months but don't quite get over the line . Maybe your findings will give me that last shove ! One of my concerns with it is most of the areas i hunt are very rough scrub and ferns and i wonder if the little French thing would stand up to the punishment . Hope it comes up trumps for you .

This will be going very very rough, hopefully it stands up to it, it looks and feels flimsy, thats if i were to compare it to the solid build of the CTX, having said that i dont think its going to break anytime too soon. Even my mates CTX broke a shaft, and so did my AT Pro, so you never know.

I have only put it together rather quickly (pulled the 2 shafts out) so any observations i have at the moment should be disregarded..

tonyw

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 08:25 »
I have just revisited the shafts, and they are very solid, strong aluminum i think, so i retract the above statement about them feeling flimsy, the machine with the shafts deployed feels very light but strong.

Offline Happy Jack

• Silver

20%
    • I live in: Far South Coast NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 433

• Total Badges: 19
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 08:53 »
Hi Tony,  Looking forward to hearing your reports on this little machine.

Jack
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Excalibur II and CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1/2 ounce Gold Nugget whilst relic hunting
Happy Jack

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

100%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 09:40 »
Enjoy Tony, If you have any questions etc Just give me a call.

Google "XP Deus Hot Program" and add that to the remote, I think that will suit you pretty nicely and be a good place to start most hunts. It's Full audio and Bugger all discrim. Just let the audio talk to you and soon you'll be speaking Deus like a Frenchman.

Cheers mate appreciate the faith in the product and the Business.

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline mike33

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Nerang. gold Coast. Qld.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 811

• Total Badges: 16
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 10:05 »
Tony, sounds like you need a coil with a built in  whipper snipper.
Mike.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: C&G Wildcat. Whites 6000D. Tesoro Stingray Tesoro Cortes. Tesoro Sand Shark
  • Oldest find: 1800 penny

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1575

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09 »
No first hand experience whatsoever, but it appears the Deus is a lot sturdier than it seems.  There's some videos floating around of the control box and upper handle/cuff getting run over by a car and surviving - lots of flex.  Will be great to get your views on it Tony.

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

tonyw

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 14:35 »
Hi Tony,  Looking forward to hearing your reports on this little machine.

Jack

I will do more updates as i get more into it mate.

Enjoy Tony, If you have any questions etc Just give me a call.

Google "XP Deus Hot Program" and add that to the remote, I think that will suit you pretty nicely and be a good place to start most hunts. It's Full audio and Bugger all discrim. Just let the audio talk to you and soon you'll be speaking Deus like a Frenchman.

Cheers mate appreciate the faith in the product and the Business.

Clegy

Thanks mate, i will be going through all the scenarios as i whip around the different settings and setups, i hope to get out next Saturday to a place i have had the AT Pro and CTX in many times.

Tony, sounds like you need a coil with a built in  whipper snipper.
Mike.

And snake gaitors ;D the slippery lil suckers will be up and about soon.

No first hand experience whatsoever, but it appears the Deus is a lot sturdier than it seems.  There's some videos floating around of the control box and upper handle/cuff getting run over by a car and surviving - lots of flex.  Will be great to get your views on it Tony.

Sambo

I havent even put the coil on yet, but it is much more sturdy and solid than first thought.

tonyw

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 14:57 »
Shafts are a solid plastic you go from compact to fully extended in seconds, the lower shaft has numbered increments so it easy to remember your preferred setting length.

Offline Marty

• Gold

76.67%
    • I live in: Hawkesbury River Region NSW Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79

• Total Badges: 44
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts The Gold Ring Returned an Item Coin Of the Month Winner Coin of the year Half Soveriegn The Crown Comm Penny Nugget over an Ounce Full Sovereign 500 Posts
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 21:55 »
How much was it Tony ?
cheers M.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Old -GP3000/3500, GPX 4000,4500, GB1 , GPX5000, current XTerra705 , ForsGold, CTX3030 , SDC2300 , GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel , 1806 & 07 George III half penny, 1823 & 25 Farthing , 1825 George IV Penny ,1876 20 Mark Gold German Wilhelm I, 1889 Queen Vic Jubilee Head Double Florin, 1937 Australian Crown, lost gold ring over 120yr ago, returned property owner
"Just Dig It and it will come"

tonyw

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 05:17 »
How much was it Tony ?
cheers M.

The machine stock was on special for $1899, after i upgraded the headphones and inc the hardcase,  inc postage it came to $2364 inc GST and postage, the total discount was $420

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 16:36 »
Away from the beach I think it will suit your style of hunting Tony, it should at least reduce the aches and pains and extend your detecting time, good choice and the best of luck to you......cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

tonyw

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 17:12 »
Away from the beach I think it will suit your style of hunting Tony, it should at least reduce the aches and pains and extend your detecting time, good choice and the best of luck to you......cheers Colin.

Yes mate i think it will help the shoulders, neck and elbows and allow me to keep out a bit longer.

Its not funny getting old ::)  haha

tonyw

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 17:16 »
Attached the 11" coil to the bottom shaft, i found it to be a bit of a pain, but nothing to get over excited about. I also attached the coil charger, it only goes on one way, i dont think i would like to force it on the wrong way as i dont know how those pins would handle it, but it does slip on easy when you do it the right way around.

Coil charger

Offline goldpick

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460

Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 17:58 »
The nut that inserts into the coil ear can be a bit stiff to get it properly located.  The nut slid straight in on my 11" coil, wheras it took a little more effort on the 13x11" coil to push it home.
I hope you will enjoy the Deus, it's a real enthusiest's detector that as you mention should be taken on its own merits vs trying to directly compare with other brands/models. :)

• Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

tonyw

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 18:25 »
The nut that inserts into the coil ear can be a bit stiff to get it properly located.  The nut slid straight in on my 11" coil, wheras it took a little more effort on the 13x11" coil to push it home.
I hope you will enjoy the Deus, it's a real enthusiest's detector that as you mention should be taken on its own merits vs trying to directly compare with other brands/models. :)

I had a bit of a battle with it, but i got there, too used to quick change overs on my other detectors.

I will be charging it up soon and getting ready to go out, and quietly teaching myself a few tricks next Saturday.

I also have alot of reading to get through, but instead of trying to cram it all in, i will take it step at a time.

I will probably sell my Tejon now that i have this.

Offline Marty

• Gold

76.67%
    • I live in: Hawkesbury River Region NSW Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79

• Total Badges: 44
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts The Gold Ring Returned an Item Coin Of the Month Winner Coin of the year Half Soveriegn The Crown Comm Penny Nugget over an Ounce Full Sovereign 500 Posts
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 19:37 »
Um surely that coil is not water proof if it has a piggyback charge port  ???
Marty
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Old -GP3000/3500, GPX 4000,4500, GB1 , GPX5000, current XTerra705 , ForsGold, CTX3030 , SDC2300 , GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel , 1806 & 07 George III half penny, 1823 & 25 Farthing , 1825 George IV Penny ,1876 20 Mark Gold German Wilhelm I, 1889 Queen Vic Jubilee Head Double Florin, 1937 Australian Crown, lost gold ring over 120yr ago, returned property owner

Offline goldpick

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460

Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 19:53 »
There's no port on the actual coil, just on the pictured charging clip.  The coil has two recessed gold plated contacts for charging, and the coil is indeed waterproof.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

tonyw

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13 »
Where the charge port connects to the coil

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:15 by tonyw »

xx
XP Deus Review 30+ days

Started by Gonehunting for History on XP

28 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 09:00
by Count Pierre