* Share it Around

Author Topic:  XP Deus my unbiased review  (Read 4002 times)

Offline John-au

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    63.33%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 127

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce
Re: XP Deus my unbiased review
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2016, 09:57 »
I had the AT Pro for a few years before i got the CTX, i still like the AT Pro, but its getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I got up this morning an realised i hadn't turned the power on at the wall for the charger, my fault but something i would of clearly seen if it had of been the CTX power pack, oh well lesson learnt, i will still get about 3 hours charge into it, enough for the day.

Must say i am looking forward to the upgrades that are coming, in particular the elliptical coil and the pin pointer. I would also like to see an enclosed coil for the thick scrub, the spoked coils get hooked up a lot, and this is from experience with a lot of my other coils.

Today i will revisit another old haunt that's been thrashed to death, gridded out over and over again, many machines have been there.
Tony re the charging, one thing I do once the power is turned on for charging is to look at the display and make sure I see the charging dashes moving or the solid light on the coil. I would be very surprised if you come home today without finding something worth digging that has been missed.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%
  • Likes Given: 690

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2016, 19:21 »
I got up this morning an realised i hadn't turned the power on at the wall for the charger, my fault but something i would of clearly seen if it had of been the CTX power pack

the coil lights up, how can you miss that?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

Offline lex utopia

• Silver

6.67%
  • Likes Given: 45

• Total Badges: 20
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2016, 19:29 »
OHHH  Tony the lights are on but no one's home ...Stick with it it only gets worse when you turn 70  :'(  I know!!!

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

13.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 359

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2016, 19:31 »
I find 1 1/2 hrs charge will do all day.
In the field any power bank  will recharge as you detect ( I use a Kodak power bank I got from Woolies and the single connector).
At camp use the 1 into 3 cable, if your paranoid recharge at lunch time ( Never had to myself, great batteries in the XP).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX
  • Oldest find: 1917 C.O.A. half penny

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Ramjet  Metal Detecting on Youtube
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 529

• Total Badges: 23
    One year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2016, 19:53 »
In the field any power bank  will recharge as you detect ( I use a Kodak power bank I got from Woolies and the single connector).
At camp use the 1 into 3 cable, if your paranoid recharge at lunch time ( Never had to myself, great batteries in the XP).

There is also a red LED on the charger. From the XP web site.....  20 minutes of charge time = two hours of battery life.

Can be charged in the car on the way to the hunt.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

tonyw

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2016, 20:15 »
I got up this morning an realised i hadn't turned the power on at the wall for the charger, my fault but something i would of clearly seen if it had of been the CTX power pack

the coil lights up, how can you miss that?

Because of the way my rooms setup with guitars, i have to put the coil away in a corner or the setup risks getting stood on, you cant see it, very simple to overlook.

And i know the red light comes on the charger, that to is out of site, my ctx charger sits on top of my old tape deck, maybe 2 feet away, i can see it clear from where i am sitting.

I did 5 hours today and had plenty of charge, its something i will not overlook in the future, it was no big deal.

Having to connect to 3 charging items with one short triple USB, is always going to annoy me, but thats the way it is, so i live with it.

tonyw

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2016, 20:20 »
There is also a red LED on the charger. From the XP web site..... 20 minutes of charge time = two hours of battery life.

Can be charged in the car on the way to the hunt.

The hunt spot was 10mins away, i dont think i was going to get too much gas in it on the way there.

With the CTX if i forgot to charge the main pack, i just load up the one of my other 2 rechargable battery packs and off i go, if i dont charge the XP i wait a few hours to get the power up, not ideal but its the way is is you learn as you go.

tonyw

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2016, 20:23 »
In the field any power bank  will recharge as you detect ( I use a Kodak power bank I got from Woolies and the single connector).
At camp use the 1 into 3 cable, if your paranoid recharge at lunch time ( Never had to myself, great batteries in the XP).

I had plenty of charge after 3 hours on the charger this morning, when i go away for weekends i take at least 3 detectors with me and power pack backups, so not being able to detect? well thats never a problem.

tonyw

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2016, 20:28 »
OHHH  Tony the lights are on but no one's home ...Stick with it it only gets worse when you turn 70  :'(  I know!!!

Too much going on in the head Lex, not enough brain cells left to cope with it ;D

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%
  • Likes Given: 690

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2016, 22:58 »
Because of the way my rooms setup with guitars, i have to put the coil away in a corner or the setup risks getting stood on, you cant see it, very simple to overlook.

And i know the red light comes on the charger, that to is out of site, my ctx charger sits on top of my old tape deck, maybe 2 feet away, i can see it clear from where i am sitting.

I did 5 hours today and had plenty of charge, its something i will not overlook in the future, it was no big deal.

Having to connect to 3 charging items with one short triple USB, is always going to annoy me, but thats the way it is, so i live with it.

first world problems :D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

Offline goldpick

• Gold

43.33%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 404

• Total Badges: 18
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2016, 01:49 »
The bonus of having fast charging lithium batteries, even if I forget to charge up the night before, an hours charge at breakfast is enough to last all day and more.
Also carrying two coils is the car is an added advantage, plus I always carry USB powerpacks and an inverter in the car.  Can even charge off the car USB ports if need be.
The aftermarket charging cord I bought off ebay is a bit longer than the stock one, it also has a fourth plug for charging my 13x11" along with everything else.
Also made it a point to purchase a spare charging clip for storage in the hardcase, just a little insurance in case I lost or broke the original one.  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2016, 05:22 »
Just while we are on Charging and great tips by the way, Deus should not be hooked up to the charger for longer than 3 hours at a time and never overnight.

3 hours should charge all 3 elements quite easily then you should get about 12-15 hours from the coil and about 20-22 on the remote and WS4. Power settings do affect these times. so High TX power will take a bit off the top.

Remember too that the batteries have no memory, so I have charged with a portable pack while I had a Cuppa and finished off the day quite easily with that short charge.
With the new coils I just read you'll be able to change the battery out very quickly if they go flat and you have a spare charged cell. 
Happy Hunting 
clegy 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

tonyw

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2016, 05:38 »
The bonus of having fast charging lithium batteries, even if I forget to charge up the night before, an hours charge at breakfast is enough to last all day and more.
Also carrying two coils is the car is an added advantage, plus I always carry USB powerpacks and an inverter in the car.  Can even charge off the car USB ports if need be.
The aftermarket charging cord I bought off ebay is a bit longer than the stock one, it also has a fourth plug for charging my 13x11" along with everything else.
Also made it a point to purchase a spare charging clip for storage in the hardcase, just a little insurance in case I lost or broke the original one.  

I have an inverter in the car as well, am already making plans for one of the new coils when they release them, (they may be a bit small for my liking) will be good to see if they pickup small gold or not. The spare charging clip has been on my list of things to do since day 1, that will stay in my detecting bag that lives in the car, a couple of solar charge packs are on my list as well.

The machine is very impressive, its recovery is very very fast, i will post more about my day out yesterday, later.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

43.33%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 404

• Total Badges: 18
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2016, 16:33 »
After looking at the 3 frequencies on the new coils, I am still in two minds on whether to just go with the current 9" coil, as I can't really see myself using 30 & 55kHz for coin/relic detecting - I rarely make it over to the GT.
I mainly purchased deus spares prior to Clegy coming onto the scene, as the previous distributor couldn't supply me with a detector netherlone spares.  Things are a lot better now. ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything