collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  My First Thoughts On the XP Deus  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
My First Thoughts On the XP Deus
« on: October 04, 2016, 23:12 »
As I said back a few weeks I would be getting my hands on an XP for a week and wanted to report what I found. Firstly the XP straight up is a turn on and go machine that really makes it quite simple to use for any Detectorist. The biggest plus is probably the light weight feel of the machine although this also gave me the feeling like it could be easy to break something given that I am quite hard on my detectors. I noticed that it hits targets really well and I was soon pulling some nice pre decimals.

I decided to give the detector a fare test next to the CTX and decided on doing this at the place I call the bottomless pit. I ran the XP first and found quite a few targets, I then ran the CTX over the same targets before digging them and found that they both hit every target about the same. I noticed that all but one target was no deeper than around 7 - 8 inches which concerned me a bit given that there are some really deep targets at the pit. I decided to run the CTX to see if I could hit a few really tricky deep targets and after doing so ran the XP over these targets that were around the 11 - 12 inch mark and found that the XP didn't register anything at all but this could be more to do with knowing the machine better and different settings.

The XP and the CTX both have similar features when it comes to setting them up but I will say there are some features that are on the CTX that in my opinion are great and could be on the XP and would improve it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the ability of the XP but wouldn't find myself rushing out and buying one as in my honest opinion the CTX set up the way I run it was easier to understand what was in the ground but this is more than likely my familiarity with the CTX.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=30375.0

Offline goldpick

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: My First Thoughts On the XP Deus
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:04 »
A fair review Marksman, as you mentioned, a decent chunk of time is really required on the Deus to understand how to get optimum performance from it, likewise for the CTX or any other detector for that matter.

For me it is probably the most fun and adjustable detector I have ever had the pleasure to use after moving on from the Explorer SE Pro & Etrac.  Hard to believe it was initially released way back in 2009.   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

26.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1313

• Total Badges: 30
    5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37 »
Pretty fair review Mark.  I've seen Mark in action and still feel with him it's most definitely the man and not machine.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline John-au

• Silver

70%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 171

• Total Badges: 40
    Rams Head Shilling Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46 »
What size coil did you have on the XP when you tested it out Mark?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:00 »
What size coil did you have on the XP when you tested it out Mark?

11 inch
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030 SDC2300 Xterra 705 & Others

Offline rocketaroo

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64

• Total Badges: 13
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 20:28 »
the pre set programs are a basis for refinement. We copy other peoples refinements, and develop our own. Once you have Deus set-up to your liking, it is switch on and go. Its very easy to make refinements on the go, to suit the different conditions we find. You cant compare ctx and deus, both completely different.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Ramjet  Metal Detecting on Youtube
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 529

• Total Badges: 23
    One year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 21:17 »
A good review. I have no experience with the CTX but have a few months on the XP. When I first got it I buried a couple of thrips in my yard at about 6 inches. One was 50% silver and the other 92.5%. They did not register on the Dues in any of the standard, preset programs but by tweaking them a little i  managed to get good, clear signals. I was a bit disappointed at first but I found an interesting bit of info. The ground was really dry for my initial tests. Our yard is usually fairly moist and this was the driest it has been. After some good soaking rain I was able to detect the thrips with the standard programs.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 23:13 »
A good review. I have no experience with the CTX but have a few months on the XP. When I first got it I buried a couple of thrips in my yard at about 6 inches. One was 50% silver and the other 92.5%. They did not register on the Dues in any of the standard, preset programs but by tweaking them a little i  managed to get good, clear signals. I was a bit disappointed at first but I found an interesting bit of info. The ground was really dry for my initial tests. Our yard is usually fairly moist and this was the driest it has been. After some good soaking rain I was able to detect the thrips with the standard programs.

Moisture always helps target response. I did tweak the Deus quite a bit and found it pretty basic to navigate around, best advice never be scared to press buttons that is how you learn.

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 23:19 »
the pre set programs are a basis for refinement. We copy other peoples refinements, and develop our own. Once you have Deus set-up to your liking, it is switch on and go. Its very easy to make refinements on the go, to suit the different conditions we find. You cant compare ctx and deus, both completely different.

The reason I compared the two is because some of the XP Deus uses were posting things like they werent impressed with the CTX vs Deus and how much better the Deus was on goldies vs the CTX. I wanted to see for myself and do a fair comparisson. My findings were as above hence the one against the other.

Also when you talk about changing things on the Deus being easy there are only two thins you need to change on the CTX when your out in the field to make it run at its maximum and I actually find the CTX way less complicated than the Deus. 

Offline rocketaroo

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 07:14 »
Deus is only complicated, when you start messing with the expert settings. Imagine that you could get more from a ctx, if it had a similar amount of customisation.

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21 »
Deus is only complicated, when you start messing with the expert settings. Imagine that you could get more from a ctx, if it had a similar amount of customisation.

You obviously don't know much about the CTX as it actually has better expert features than the Deus that is why I said the Deus could add a few settings that the CTX has and it would improve it. How about an honest answer how many hours have you used a CTX for and do you know/understand its features.

I actually worked out the Deus in about 2 hours and liked the features didn't find it that complicated as many of its features are similar to the CTX in what they achieve.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Ramjet  Metal Detecting on Youtube
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 529

• Total Badges: 23
    One year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06 »
How about an honest answer how many hours have you used a CTX for and do you know/understand its features.

Zero hours.  ;D I can't remember but I don't think Rocket has ever picked up a CTX.  ::)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.

Offline rocketaroo

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 15:38 »
You obviously don't know much about the CTX as it actually has better expert features than the Deus that is why I said the Deus could add a few settings that the CTX has and it would improve it. How about an honest answer how many hours have you used a CTX for and do you know/understand its features.

I actually worked out the Deus in about 2 hours and liked the features didn't find it that complicated as many of its features are similar to the CTX in what they achieve.

I have held a ctx, and know that it would hold a tinny in a fast current ;) Dude, I have zero knowledge about it....and dunno why you gave such a reply to my post. Typical of a minelab user.....lol

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

13.33%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1217

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 16:59 »
the waters starting to boil on this post  :o
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline GemQ

• Platinum

33.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 711

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 19:31 »
Great write up Mark and good to see a number of capable machines on the market.

Given we are coming into summer interested to see  how it goes down the beach.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 " The Weapon", GPX 4500 "The Gold Wand"
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny
Enjoy the hunt, love the pre-decimals & Nuggs

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

16.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1575

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 22:01 »
I haven't tried my xp down the beach yet but did read you to have keep the coil just above the sand, it would be hard to beat the bbs fbs detectors on the beach me thinks apart from a pi, you can scrub the bbs fbs coils on the sand with out upsetting them.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 23:44 »
I have held a ctx, and know that it would hold a tinny in a fast current ;) Dude, I have zero knowledge about it....and dunno why you gave such a reply to my post. Typical of a minelab user.....lol

Sorry I do apolagise I took this comment the wrong way  " Imagine that you could get more from a ctx, if it had a similar amount of customisation" Thought you were saying if it had in a negative not a positive all the best and happy hunting.

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%
    • I live in: Hamilton Hill W.A
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 131

• Total Badges: 33
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 01:06 »
Mark you are a great detectorist and I respect your opinion highly but at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good a detectorist you are you're not going to understand any machine with complete proficiency in a week. I vote for you to purchase an XP Deus run it for a year, enjoy its ability to overcome target masking and sniff stuff out of the iron. Also try the nine inch coil, that coil is smaller so it can tell a lot about the size of a target, as well as hunt in extreme trashy areas.

Also I hear that for really deep stuff the Deus will make a noise, show a whisper on the horseshoe but show no numbers, did that happen at all Mark? No body here is saying the CTX is shit, heck if you have enough money you'd be crazy not to run both.

The best allrounder is the ctx (boat anchor lol) and for shallow goldies in trash the lightning fast Deus takes the crown (passes the nail test with flying colours, weighs about the same as a feather)

CTX will do better on the beach - Deus will do better on the goldfields. Apples and Oranges.

Mark would it be right to say the Deus has earn't your respect, you're post was a little begrudging (not surprised as a lot of smack gets talked about these two detectors) but i sensed respect was there as well. Anyway I hope you get your hands on one again soon.

Tommy Cash
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:46 by Tommy Cash »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Detector- Minelab Sovereign Elite, 15" WOT - awaiting the ressurection. Minelab Excal 1000 -blue headphone beauty, Anderson travel shaft, 1600mh Battery. XP DEUS. Makro pinpointer. Digging Tools- Lesche. Mirage diving knife. Beach Scoop - Stavr
  • Oldest find: 1838 Sixpence
Metal detecting - God's way of redistributing wealth.

Offline GemQ

• Platinum

33.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 711

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 07:08 »
Mark you are a great detectorist and I respect your opinion highly but at the end of the day it doesn't matter how good a detectorist you are you're not going to understand any machine with complete proficiency in a week. I vote for you to purchase an XP Deus run it for a year, enjoy its ability to overcome target masking and sniff stuff out of the iron. Also try the nine inch coil, that coil is smaller so it can tell a lot about the size of a target, as well as hunt in extreme trashy areas.

Also I hear that for really deep stuff the Deus will make a noise, show a whisper on the horseshoe but show no numbers, did that happen at all Mark? No body here is saying the CTX is shit, heck if you have enough money you'd be crazy not to run both.

The best allrounder is the ctx (boat anchor lol) and for shallow goldies in trash the lightning fast Deus takes the crown (passes the nail test with flying colours, weighs about the same as a feather)

CTX will do better on the beach - Deus will do better on the goldfields. Apples and Oranges.

Mark would it be right to say the Deus has earn't your respect, you're post was a little begrudging (not surprised as a lot of smack gets talked about these two detectors) but i sensed respect was there as well. Anyway I hope you get your hands on one again soon.

Tommy Cash

Tommy

My experience is that goldfields finds in Vic are in trashy, highly mineralised ground and at depth. While in certain patterns and coils the CTX struggles with iron/ target discrimination overall these can be overcome through the CTXs flexible programming and number of coil variants. If the Deus can clearly outperform the CTX then sign me up.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 " The Weapon", GPX 4500 "The Gold Wand"
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny

Offline Heatho

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56

• Total Badges: 5
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14 »
The CTX does fine in the trashy spots as well if you use a small coil. I've been running the 10x5 Coiltek over the past few weeks going over trashy areas that were way too bad for the standard 11" coil and have been cleaning up nicely. It still punches quite deep on small targets such as small silver rings and small silver coins/1c coins.

With it being 10" long you can still cover a bit of ground quickly but the slim width of the coil makes it so easy to nudge in beside trash from different angles and isolate good targets near junk.

Pics are from yesterday in the heavy trash.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:19 by Heatho »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, SDC2300, GPX5000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline Marksman

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 09:11 »

Tommy Cash

Thanks Tommy and yes I do have some respect for the Deus  and my post wasnt exactly negative given the time I had it for. If you knew how I detect and field test you would know that I was quite thorough I spent many hours watching other Deus owners on youtube and spoke to a few including yourself. So before venturing out I had loaded in 6 programmes that Deus uses swear by and was well aware of the whisper on the horseshoe as they call it but it still didnt hit the deep targets that are really hard to hear even on the CTX.

I was running a pattern that a guy calls his deep fast 5 tone with the lower two segments/boxes set at 100 so that the iron would grunt (by the way the CTX does this as well so I was very familar with what he was doing) and the other 3 segments/boxes set to hit all different Australian targets (took me awhile but it was same principal as the CTX again to set up) the highest tone was set at 800 t0 make the better targets athe highest tone. The settings I ran for deep were from what I could tell the general consesus amongst Deus uses as to hitting the deeep targets but it still didnt hit them.

I am in no way and have not bagged the Deus I am just saying that I found nothing that the Deus could do that the CTX 3030 wasnt dooing for me with a few extra options that help in my opinion with deep targets.

Yes I knoiw it is a heavy machine and can cause a bit of fatigue (if you are a Nancy girl  ;D >:D that is)  but overall i appreciate it for its robust feel . 

All the best

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 706

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 11:42 »
thought I would chime in here quickly..

I own a deus, have done for a few years, i know the machine like the back of my hand and LOVE it. the deus in the Goldfields here in w.a is a waste of time. its shit. no matter what settings you run. dont let anyone try and tell you different. I am keen to try the new higher frequency coils to see if it makes a difference.

carry on.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

xx
Deus

Started by Marco on XP

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2014, 19:43
by Marco
xx
XP DEUS

Started by Ecto1 on XP

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 15:02