* Share it Around

Author Topic:  New to Gold Detecting - Needing help finding Nugget Location  (Read 925 times)

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    60%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 6
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Hello All,
I am new to the hobby and hope to learn a lot.
I have already purchased a 2nd hand Whites GMT so that I can look for gold. I know many of you will say "You Fool" there are other detectors out their better for a newbie!
With the research and budget I had, there was not many affordable detectors able to be used specifically for gold available. I am now seeking some assistance. I have been researching places in NSW to go and look for Gold Nuggets, as I live in Sydney. I have found lots and lots of information on panning, sluicing, high banking etc. however, very little as to nugget hunting. As a novice I am happy to tackle any site people say has been Flogged to Death or is full of trash, as I feel that these places will assist me in getting used to detecting and will help me develop my skills.
Could I ask if anyone knows of any areas which are suitable for me to try, where they know gold nuggets have been found in the past?
I look forward to your posts and hope one day to be able to post some great finds on the forum.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

63.33%
  • Likes Given: 695

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
Re: New to Gold Detecting - Needing help finding Nugget Location
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 13:13 »
Most places that you can pan or sluice some color is worth an investigation as most of these locations will hold nuggets somewhere
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 661

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 14:15 »
Best to join a detecting club even if you have to travel 200 km to get to an outing. They will go to sites that you could have a chance to find gold.
You have your work cutout using the Whites on heavily thrashed sites. An old 2100 Minelab would be more suitable for gold. I hope you find some nuggets but it is a hard hobby even with better tools.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

13.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 394

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 14:20 »
Where gold has been found there will be a chance of finding a bit more.
Not all goldfields are surface (alluvial) gold, a little research helps a lot.
Trove (digitized newspapers) can help if you want to research an areas past.
Good luck F.C.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX
  • Oldest find: 1917 C.O.A. half penny

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

10%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 19:45 »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting that post up. Glad the instructions where not too vague.
Just get out there mate, point the coil at the soil and you have a 100% more chance than someone at home wishing they had a better machine.
Go for it and would love to hear how your going, both good and bad.
Happy hunting
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline peter_s

• Silver

3.33%
  • Likes Given: 120

• Total Badges: 23
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 21:46 »
three key words, research, research and research. As above if there are places where gold has been found there is always the possibility of nuggets of ANY size being found.

Good luck in your endeavours look forward to some pics of the nuggets you find. :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace250, ATPRO,ml ctx3030,gpx4500
  • Oldest find: 1807 English halfpenny 1844 half farthing

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 1490

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 22:52 »
Welcome.  The Gold, Gem & Treasure [GG&T) magazine is a great read and wealth of information.  Mostly concentrates on gold and it has a back catalogue section where you can order old issues.  Might be worth a look through for any articles on areas that are close-by.  

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

60%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 6
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 14:57 »
Hello To all whom replied.
Thank you very much for your advice.
Sambo - Thanks for the tip - I recently purchased this magazine, now into my third issue. I have found it good reading.
Flcopper1 - I will look into the digitised newspapers - I hope these help.
I realise research, research and more research is the best to do before heading out. I will do a bit more then take Clegy's advice and "Get Out There" - Where ever There is (LOL).
I like you comment Rwork reference a detecting club - I will research further on this one.
I have seen some people offering tag-along-tours. I am not sure of these as the cost can be quite high.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 661

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 19:17 »
Send me a pm with an email address and i will send you a NSW club magazine that will give you some contacts.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam