* Share it Around

Author Topic:  problems with large coil charging  (Read 430 times)

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

• Fill this by Posting :)
    3.33%
  • Likes Given: 690

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
problems with large coil charging
« on: January 13, 2017, 23:45 »
Hi guys, as the title suggests my 13x11 coil is not charging. I charged my deus the night before a hunt as i usually do, made sure all the lights etc came on, and all was good or so i thought.. got out today and the control box and headphones are full and coil is flashing flat.. then the dreaded *no coil* started appearing on the control box. 
When i put my deus on charge I always make sure the coil light is on and the other 2 units are charging aswell, so when i got home from my failed hunt I put the coil on charge and monitored it. light came on solid, SWEET! buuuuut about 45 secs later it started flashing like it was fully charged. this is why i misssed it the other night, i didn't stick around to see it turn off and when i came back it looked as though it was full like the control box and headphones. SO... i changed charge cable, still the same, changed charge clip, still the same, cleaned the contacts, still the same. 
im at a loss, is my coil stuffed? its not that old, i had it replaced under warranty by prospectors patch here in perth because the last one became really unstable and wouldn't ground balance. for the record I dont water hunt and i clean it coil and coil cover after each hunt so i doubt anything has worn or leaked.. maybe its the battery? 

either way im stuffed and i cant go for a hunt! :O
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1827 colonial penny

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

3.33%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1525

• Total Badges: 40
    Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
Re: problems with large coil charging
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 00:39 »
I have had the same prob with my older xp when the batt was going flat but what used to work for me when heading out was charge the batt fully, then while still connected to the charger which is still on turn on the remote & the coil would connect, then try it with the charger off, worked for me until i got round to replacing the batt. ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:15 »
thanks for the reply mate, I will give it a go and see how I go. 

not too keen on replacing the battery myself, i have no doubt i could do it but its still under warranty.. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: -minelab gt16000 -xp deus 13"x11" coil - garrett pin pointer

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:57 »
Sent you a message back mate,

Looks like a battery replacement job to me, may be a firmware issue but I doubt it.
Battery needs to be maintained by the store that sells the gear, have had a few issues with coils that had been left flat on the shelf for a long time before being sold. The batteries do not like this at all and can have an adverse affect on them,

When fully charged they will retain charge for a very very long time but they are shipped from factory with minimal charge due to very nervous airlines.

I have a little system here in my stock room to maintain batteries while waiting for new homes and all my coils get a full charge as I receive them.
Let me know mate and we will get you sorted.

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52 »
spoke to the new rep for XP detectors here in Australia, @Clegy and it seems as though it's a battery issue, a quick phone conversation and a new battery is on order, and was even offered a loan coil posted to me in the meantime. With service like that it just concretes the fact that I really did make the right choice in choosing the XP deus when I was looking for a new machine. 

Many thanks Clegy, if I owned/ran a company like XP I would be stoked to have someone like yourself representing my company and dealing with customers the way you do. 

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

3.33%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1525

• Total Badges: 40
    Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 19:51 »
I had to do the same thing again tonight, she ain't been used for a while :(
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 21:10 »
spewing.. ive watched the video about 10 times now.. i think im good to go :D

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

23.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 588

• Total Badges: 32
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:23 »
I had to do the same thing again tonight, she ain't been used for a while :(

You Got issues mate? Give me a call if you need to.

Clegy.

P.S Thanks Matt Only to happy to help mate.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 16:21 »
well, much to the delight of the finance minister, the dining table became the deus operating table today and 5 mins later the coil is ready for the new battery. 

bring it on  >:D

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24 »
new battery fitted, just waiting for silicon to dry then its test time! 

thanks again Clegy, great service! 

Offline John-au

• Silver

63.33%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 127

• Total Badges: 38
    500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 17:50 »
How did the test go?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline maat

• Silver
  • yeah, nah, maybe.

3.33%

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 08:49 »
sorry about the late reply, ive been busy with work.. first test went great! back to the good old days of not having to charge the deus every hunt. Just to top it off I had a ripoer hunt with a few mates on a virgin park and cleaned up with the pre decies! :D

thanks again Clegy! 

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything