* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Look out Gold Panning legend developing in Central queensland  (Read 765 times)

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

• Fill this by Posting :)
    10%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Hi All,
So a while back I bought some gold pans, there is a photo of the ones I got. The garrett Jobs.

I tried some panning in Victoria and failed very badly, so when I went out to mount Morgan a little while ago I decided to try and have a pan just below a giant tailings pile that recent drill holes suggest may hold 60,000 ounces of gold.

Its under lease of course, but not down in the river.

Keep In Mind I am new to this and only have a basic understanding of low pressure points etc.

Picked a likely looking spot and got a bit of colour first pan.

Since then I have processed about 5-6 buckets (15kg) of material in my yard at home. I pan it out in  babies pool with the bore pump flowing into it. I then run all that through the banjo pan before discarding into a test patch I am developing.

I've got a few tiny bits of gold so far in small jar. My Snuffer skills are terrible.

Just really stoked to pan some genuine mount morgan gold!

The lady at the tourist info laughed when I told here my plans and was actually surprised to see i had found a little gold in such a short panning session.
I swear they are missing a massive amount of gold tourism up this way, just because people think there is no gold left.

Tell that to Mark and his 220 gram nugget found a few months ago in our area.

SO thus ends my long winded post about doing some panning at Mount Morgan. Over winter I will be doing a lot more!

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Look out Gold Panning legend developing in Central queensland
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 19:38 »
We all have to start some where Clegy, well done for having a go, you might pick up some tips at Wedderburn when they run their demonstrations, some people make it look easy, definitely a skill in my book.....cheers Colin. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 661

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 21:31 »
I have a Scottish ( Scotsman) bloke who said he is coming over to do some panning here. He is that keen he walks everything into the Highlands, uses a wetsuit and has a heat pack to stop his pan water from freezing. Happy when he got a bit over a gram in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we can put him onto somewhere a bit better here in Vic.
 Re Wedderburn, Tommo is the man to talk to about hints.  Interesting to hear they have trouble getting dirt with no specks in it to run the comps.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

10%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:33 »
I'll be watching the panning comp very closely this year, I was going to have a tilt at it but my panning is quite slow. Well really really slow.
Will be doing loads of practice when in Victoria and hope to develop my skills into intermediate by the end of the year.
I got a tip when I was in Ararat to hit the black water container at Hardhill as it would have some gold in it. Not much but enough to have a practice. Alas I was a day too late as the lady in the next camp proudly showed me what she had panned out of it the day before I got there.
Some people make it look crazy easy and I guess its just like anything, practice and above all trust the gear to do what it is supposed to do. I found when I panned really fast I got just as much colour as when I panned slow. Trouble is I was sweating like a ........ after a couple fast pans and it started to seem like work. So I slowed it down and drank a beer while I did the next one. LOL

Hope to show some more Local gold soon, just gotta get out there and get some more dirt from the hole in between phone calls, messages and emails.
Happy Panning
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything