* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Dredging in the Jamieson river?  (Read 440 times)

Offline kg1

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    46.67%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1025

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Dredging in the Jamieson river?
« on: April 11, 2017, 21:33 »
Hi folks, I was listening to one of the fishing reports on the radio on Sunday morning and some dude came on whinging about the state of the Jamieson due to alluvial gold dredgers.

Now we all know that dredging is banned.....but there was some mention by the obviously ignorant presenters of there being a commercial operation there.....the suggestion being that it was happening legally.

Is this possible?
Or are there ballsy dudes out there openly flaunting the rules and regulations?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline peter_s

• Silver

6.67%
  • Likes Given: 117

• Total Badges: 23
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Dredging in the Jamieson river?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03 »
as is usually the case KG there are some ba$tards out there doing the wrong thing. WA goldfields are full of "prospectors" illegally going on leases and stealing the gold. What do you do ?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace250, ATPRO,ml ctx3030,gpx4500
  • Oldest find: 1807 English halfpenny 1844 half farthing

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29 »
There was talk some time ago about allowing 'some' dredging operations in places like the Jamieson River to recover some of the mercury that had been discarded over the years, however that would have been under the keen eye of various government departments.  I know that the Jamieson was a hotspot back in the day when it was legal but if we are talking recent history then it could be one of the things I mentioned above, it may be an illegal dredging operation OR it could be people making a mess using highbankers (which are legal) that regular folk are confusing with dredges.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

16.67%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1094

• Total Badges: 31
    2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 19:55 »
from what I've seen on the interweb it's banned Aust wide to the average Joe :'( , But if you have a gold lease & a bucket load of cash you "may" be able to do it.
most likely some hush hush dredgers sucking up the gold, still a bit going on in the creeks & rivers.
if it was legal again I'd get back into it in a hartbeat as it's super fun.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline kg1

• Platinum

46.67%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1025

• Total Badges: 20
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 21:14 »
The guys on the radio made it sound like it was a pretty big operation....terms used were "the river is like a swimming pool".

But there was no doubt a bit of exaggeration involved in this comment.

My thoughts are....how come someone can do this a) legally, and get away with it
                                                                                 b) illegally, and get away with it.

If its an illegal operation with it being openly discussed on radio and nothing is being done about it then I reckon Lazy and I should go and have a bit of fun up in the high country. :)

• Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything