* Share it Around

Author Topic:  I got an Excal  (Read 674 times)

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

• Fill this by Posting :)
    23.33%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 47

• Total Badges: 33
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
I got an Excal
« on: April 12, 2017, 19:55 »
Howdy,As the title says I bought one of Anger Management's Excals off him. Read the manual a few times and took it out tonight not knowing how much charge was in the batteries but decided to go until they went flat. Put it in Auto, middle of the range discrimination and away I went in the spot where there had been a washout and I got heaps of coins. Never really got  onto the beach as the targets on the shore are very shallow due to the shingle so it made pinpointing easy which is a bonus for me  as I usually take a while to get the hang of pin pointing with a new machine.
Pros - found it easy to use , easy to pinpoint with as after the first couple of targets I was getting reasonably accurate pinpointing just on the coil. Found the headphones reasonably comfortable.
Cons - Bit short one end. I am 6' 5 so am going to do something about the length. Either buy or make an extension for it. I don't like the idea of  batteries that can be stuffed by incorrect charging . Googled for alternatives and a certain owner of this forum might get a call once I get some more coin together.
Have found this machine very easy to use though no target ID s is going to take getting used to again :) . Kept looking but they just werent there :D . Bit of tweaking to make it fit, get a sandscoop and away I go... oh I suppose a snorkel and  mask might help too.

Pics below of my first coins including my first pre dec with it and of course the rubbish.
Roger
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

10%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1083

• Total Badges: 31
    2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
Re: I got an Excal
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 20:14 »
great start & look forward to seeing all that gold ya beep with it ;D  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 216

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 21:45 »
They are a pretty tough machine Roger, you can drop the Disc down a bit and rely on the "Growel" of rejected targets bearing in mind that deep targets will growl (change the thresh hold) but if there is a hint of a high tone dig it, GG wore a toe ring to reset the thresh hold, I swing it over the scoop, what size coil is fitted?......cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum

23.33%

Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 21:56 »
Howdy Colin,
 Comes with the stock 8".  Happy with that for now.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

0%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1538

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 23:37 »
6'5"    Bugger, that standard S shaft will be a BIG PITA, unless diving.  (You never said your were Vertically Enhanced) .....   8"  coil for lots of water work and chains....

Beach Scoop is a must... Stay away from any metal shafts for your scoop.   Ok to an extent when dry, but in the water... Least metal is the way to go.

Straight shaft is the best config for use/balance, if NOT diving/snorkling.   But do NOT go down the road of buying an Ally one of e-bay etc...   With a bit of research,  Get a local supply for the top 1/2  to 1/3 in ally... Then gets some CF TUBE  ( 500mm to 600mm long) and it is easy to set up a Pull down system (easy to fit in the car) that also minimises any interference.   SO you have Ally (joiner) carbon Fiber (joiner) lower CF/Plastic shaft..   I will send a pic of mine soon...

Play and get to know the way it behaves...   Pinpoint and Disc are subject to MUCH discussion and have gotten heated in some places...  At end of the day, it is what works for you...

POWER:  So long as you ensure the locating pin is always there and you do not force things...  Power is always OK.   It is when people play and mod and forget, that they can blow things up.   As per the PM....  Run it flat and get to know the Warning beep...  And then go longer and know what it is like when dead flat.

I always disconnect Power lead after a wash (Always wash after a hunt) and keep your leads in good condition.  Wipe with a protecting cleaner/coating  as Insect repellent and Sunscreen will rot the cables in a short time.

Gel ear pads will also give a 20 to 30 %  better quality of sound and block more wind noise...

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 595

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 07:00 »
What type of plug does the coil lead have? I guess they are some type of waterproof arrangement. A homemade meter like the Sov type should be easy enough to adapt if you can buy the connectors.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

0%

Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 11:19 »
This was a standard Excal II and the coil / headphones are hard wired... Never Modified...

While i have done many mods... Unless the seller and I come to an understanding, I try not to put in connectors as even the best can leak; if not managed correctly.

I have some cheep ones that have lasted me 2 years; yet many say they are crap.     Salt Water / UV / Sunscreen / Insect repellent and Brute force often cause issues.  

BUT  mods to allow swapping of the Coil and PinPoint mod / headphone change over  DO enhance the functionality; let alone a better shaft arrangement. 

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

43.33%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 216

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 14:37 »
A little tip, after washing down the Excal. I put the hose in the tube underneath the armrest until water flushes out the pin adjusting holes then stand the detector upside down to drain, amazing how much sand comes out which would other wise stay inside the lower shaft......cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum

23.33%

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 15:19 »
I had just knocked off work so re-setting wasn't a problem. Steel caps came in at a highish signal :D .  Unlike GG I wouldn't look good in a toe ring... or a bikini :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum

23.33%

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 19:18 »
Naturally enough I went out again this afternoon. This time I braved the sand and soon got a break in the thresh hold which turned out to be a blackened crusty piece of pad lock which had been cut with bolt cutters by the look of the ends. Wandered along a bit further and got the tiniest little break in the threshold. Stopped, listened carefully, yep I am certain I think it may be a target possiby . At about 6 -7 inches out popped a 5c piece which magically turned into a 51 6d when I got a closer look. A few more pieces of iron and a 20c were it. Coins very clean condition as that is the condition they came out of the sand. Will brave the water Saturday, maybe.... well  it is Tasmania in Autumn :D
Roger

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

0%

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 20:45 »
Great to see you are using the unit and getting some finds...

Like any machine; takes time to know and understand and that can be many months or years to fully get in sync.

And once you know tones :-)   I hunt by tones on the CTX3030 and TID's  screen to assist in making that decision to dig or walk...

Offline pug patrol

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: perth
  • Likes Given: 143

• Total Badges: 13
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14 »
I leave my Excal in stock condition because I hunt on the beach and on scuba.
To over come the weight I bought an after market Velcro arm rest and strap it hard around my fore arm and swing from the shoulder, not the elbow, works for me.
Would like to get two machines set up for different conditions, but convincing the wife might be a hard sell ::) .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Ace 250 ATpro Garrett pro pointer Excalibur II

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

0%

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 15:25 »
I am keeping two for me...

Have another Standard with a 10" that will be up for sale in about 3 weeks.

I spent some time and put together a shaft that I can adjust for transport and usage.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 15:27 by AngerManagement »

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum

23.33%

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 19:11 »
Looks good . Is that a remote pinpoint button on the handle and if so how does that work
Roger

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

0%

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 19:30 »
Looks good . Is that a remote pinpoint button on the handle and if so how does that work Roger

YES to the remote Pin point....

Unit needs to be disassembled,  wires connected across the Disc/PinPoint contacts AND a new EndCap to take a second connector and then to a Waterproof switch...

And like many things, none of that is FACTORY but takes time and some skills / contacts with others that can assist or have the parts.

PS.  I now mould EndCaps as I find it is as good and cheaper and quicker than machining them on a lathe.   The hard part is getting quality connectors...

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum

23.33%

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 20:05 »
Hmmm thats a bit scary. If you had one that just bolted the bits to a straight shaft I would be interested. Can't seem to find CF tube down here. Found al tube but not CF.
Roger

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

0%

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 18:41 »
Hmmm thats a bit scary. If you had one that just bolted the bits to a straight shaft I would be interested. Can't seem to find CF tube down here. Found al tube but not CF. Roger

Carbon fiber of the right size and length is not easy to find and NOT cheep.   Thus I put mine together from a few bits I had around...

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything