collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  XP MI-6 Pinpointer  (Read 590 times)

Offline goldpick

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
XP MI-6 Pinpointer
« on: May 12, 2017, 20:54 »
I have been using the new MI-6 pinpointer now for a few weeks, and so far have been pretty impressed with it.  Despite being one of the most expensive pinpointers on the market ($10 more than the Garrett AT), it does offer the advantage of having many replaceable components whereas the Garretts and other similar brands are usually throw away items when any issues are encountered.

I find that it runs a lot more stable than the AT unit on ground full of iron when set on a similar sensitivity setting.  The Garrett AT really tends to false a lot in such areas, making finding the actual target a little challenging without performing a retune.

One big plus on the MI-6 is no speaker holes to clog up with mud, making the clean up at the end of the day a lot easier (the audio eminates from the rear cap).  The LED light is not quite as bright as on the Garrett, though perfectly acceptable and a lot brighter than the poor lighting on the Whites TRX.  As the LED sits behind the scraper blade, it is more directional than the Garrett LED, the Garrett will light up a much larger area.

The menu system accessed via the single control button can seem a bit complex at first (7 settings), though doesn't take long to get used to after a few trips to the field.  Another thing to notice is the control button is on the opposite side to that of the Garrett, wearing the holster on the left hip solves that issue if overly used to having the button on the other side.  As with the Garrett, the MI-6 offers a retune function via a quick press of the control button.

The actual rubberised button is smaller than that on the Garrett, so might be a little harder to access if wearing gloves, plus it is a fair bit firmer, so you need to give it a good firm press to change settings or on/off.  The whole grip is rubberised, hence a lot less slippery than the garrett when in muddy or wet conditions.  Size wise the MI-6 is a cm longer than the Garrett, and about the same width when in hand.

The audio is plenty loud enough, with beep mode or pitch mode available - personally I prefer the more traditional beep mode being similar to other units I own. The pitch mode can get a bit tiring on the ears, though will put that one down to personal preference.

The supplied holster and lanyard are all good quality, especially like the fact that you can swivel the holster (ratchet action) to move it out of the way of your detecting arm or have it sitting horizontally.  Instead of a belt loop, it offers a clip on connection that is probably more suitable to regular sized belts than ones with thick webbing.

I am getting good battery life out of it so far, using it with the Deus extends the battery life much further if using the headphone or remote speaker (and with vibration/LED turned off).  The quoted 90 hour battery life can only be obtained if used in conjunction with the Deus, used as standalone and the battery life will be substantially less.  Charge time is about 3 hours, usually all I need is a 20 min or less top up after each outing.

Obviously the biggest drawcard for this pinpointer is for Deus owners with the wireless connection and audio, something that takes a little getting used to at first, though in practice is a brilliant idea.  Only had the connection drop out on a couple of occasions, usually the result of me not pressing the on/off button firmly enough to change over from pinpointer back to detector again.  The other advantage is no cross talk between detector and pinpointer, as the detector is temporarily put on hold whenever the pinpointer is in operation.

Other bonus features when used with the Deus include 50 sensitivity levels, adjustable tone frequency and on screen display of signal strength.

All up I am very pleased with the MI-6 so far, seems be a well engineered and thought out pinpointer, and a pretty damned good effort for XP's first pinpointer. :)

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31480.0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:47 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline Justafisho

• Bronze

16.67%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 234

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 21:58 »
Great Review! 

Mine should be here Monday...Can't wait
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

26.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1313

• Total Badges: 30
    5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:06 »
Waiting for your review as it sounds pretty good.  I will most likely stay with my Garrett as I know it.  Fell into the 'latest and greatness' trap a few years ago with pinpointers purchasing a Whites and Minelab but going back to the Garrett.

By the way this is my 5000 post. Don't tell the wife as it substantiate her telling me about being on the computer too much.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 19:01 by Dutchy (Jarhead) »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

70%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2131

• Total Badges: 32
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:07 »
Goldpick, good review covers a lot of areas.
What didn't you like about it? Ie: anything operation, general use, based against other models you've used..
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline Radar1966

• Platinum
  • Lost and confused but still working on it

83.33%
    • I live in: Perth Western Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 710

• Total Badges: 28
    Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:01 »
Great review GK the pointer sound really impressive if you have a Deus.

Congrats JH on your milestone, one of the oldest and greatest!!!!!!!!

Regards
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-terra 705 15in WOT 3khz, 7.5khz, 18.75khz 6inch digger 3khz Garrett Propointer Minelab Profind Minelab Excalibur 11
  • Oldest find: 1806-1807 George III Halfpenny

Offline goldpick

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460

Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 18:48 »
Goldpick, good review covers a lot of areas.
What didn't you like about it? Ie: anything operation, general use, based against other models you've used..

Not much really, mostly nitpicking issues like the small & firm on/off button, compared to the much larger and easier to press button on the Propointer.  The holster is not stiff like the harder garrett holster, so it needs a few hunts to help keep its shape for easy re-stowing of the pinpointer. 

As mentioned you do get the odd occasion where it takes a little while for the detector to turn back on when the pinpointer is switched off -  probably occurred 2 or 3 times today out maybe 50-60 uses.  When it works properly you will usually hear the Deus start chirping away again on change over from the pinpointer.  If dead quiet (I check the coil on my boot lace rivets), you may see "no coil" come up on the screen, though eventually it will switch back to the coil with the serial number appearing on the screen. 

If you do have any issues switching back and forth, it is usually resolved by simply turning the pinpointer on and off again.

Not sure how long the lanyard will last (has stainless rings on it), I tend to go through a few of them, especially the plastic coiled lanyards that either lose their form, or simply snap off. Lately I have been using a military pistol lanyard on the Garrett, much more durable than any of the ones supplied with some pinpointers.

Congrats on 5000 post milestone Dutchy. ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam