collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Detector use in Mackay Qld  (Read 5018 times)

Offline whitedingo001

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Mackay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 16
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Detector use in Mackay Qld
« on: April 22, 2015, 13:12 »
Just got an email from the local council. No metal detecting allowed in council owned parks or reserves due to digging creating possible ruts and holes that may endanger visitors. Beach detecting is all good as long as you fill in holes and don't annoy others.
Thought it may be handy for any visitors to the area. Dan

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=27134.0

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Hervey Bay
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 10
    Second year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Re: Detector use in Mackay Qld
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 13:39 »
Thanks   :'(
I think this "policy" would be the ideal of all councils,but it won't stop people doing it   >:D  right or wrong.
CGS   8)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab SD 2000 - Coil - Standard 11" DD - Minelab Sovereign Elite - Coil - Standard Minelab 10" DD - Teknetics Delta 4000 - Coils - 5" Nel DD - 8" Standard Teknetics Concentric - Garretts Pinpointer.
  • Oldest find: 1912 British Threepence.
Cash is King - Gold is Insurance - Silver is Speculation

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 14:31 »
I don't think the metal detecting is the problem, just the holes some people leave.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline whitedingo001

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:38 »
I tend to agree it wont stop people. I know a few very likely looking park areas very close to me that I want to look at. Without causing damage of course.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Compass Judge 2 Garrett Ace 250
  • Oldest find: ?

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1519

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11 »
When a number of people start to contact the councils directly then it gets in the minds of the councils.  For years MD was a below the radar hobby that most councils or gvmt bodies weren't aware of.  I feel this banning action will escalate as more councils are being made aware of the hobby.  Its a 2 edged sword and I can see the arguments on both sides re informing and not informing.  Personally I draw little attention to myself when I'm out in the field.  Most gvmt agencies are so risk adverse they will always say no if asked.
Research

Offline whitedingo001

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:46 »
Good point there. I doubt if many council field workers would actually have much of an idea of the rules etc anyhow.

Offline cashgoldsilver

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Hervey Bay
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 10
    Second year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36 »
I don't think the metal detecting is the problem, just the holes some people leave.

YES - I was detecting OUTSIDE on the foot path of a local school and the grounds keeper came up to me with this attitude which I gave back right or wrong about people leaving holes in the school grounds.

I think that WE ALL have been guilty of this at one time or another which is starting to catch up to the detecting society,hopefully by the time it comes full circle I will be too old to swing baby   :P 

CGS   8)  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab SD 2000 - Coil - Standard 11" DD - Minelab Sovereign Elite - Coil - Standard Minelab 10" DD - Teknetics Delta 4000 - Coils - 5" Nel DD - 8" Standard Teknetics Concentric - Garretts Pinpointer.
  • Oldest find: 1912 British Threepence.

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 16:30 »
I had the same experience outside a school. The Caretaker has no control over the footpath area, but I just walked away, rather than get into an argument, which I certainly would have lost.

Went  back the next day, & a couple of Council guys asked me if I had found much.......just goes to show.

As Kenny Rogers sang "Know when to walk away"    ;)

CP

PS:  You NEVER detect school grounds without permission.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 16:33 by Count Pierre »
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2442

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 17:27 »
Dutchy gave me this advice when I restarted MDing... and its now my goal as well - Don't stand out, don't draw attention.  For myself, if I see people watching, I wave, 99% of the time, they wave back(by instinct) :) , and I go
about my business and they there's. The remaining 1% will see that as an invite to come over and have a chat :)

As everyone would agree, its the holes that people don't re-fill and the leaving of trash around. My goal is leave a site,
so you can't tell that I've been there, ie: no messy fill hole, just neat plugs/slices.

Personally I draw little attention to myself when I'm out in the field.  Most gvmt agencies are so risk adverse they will always say no if asked.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline BlacknWhite

• Silver
  • It's always a treasure to us.

0%
    • I live in: the Illawarra South Coast Region of NSW
    • BlacknWhite
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 394

• Total Badges: 42
    Play It Forward 500 Posts Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Fourth year Anniversary The Gold Ring Cricket Buckle Roo Penny The TON Returned an Item Florin Sixpence Rams Head Shilling
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 18:06 »
Dutchy gave me this advice when I restarted MDing... and its now my goal as well - Don't stand out, don't draw attention.  For myself, if I see people watching, I wave, 99% of the time, they wave back(by instinct) :) , and I go
about my business and they there's. The remaining 1% will see that as an invite to come over and have a chat :)

As everyone would agree, its the holes that people don't re-fill and the leaving of trash around. My goal is leave a site,
so you can't tell that I've been there, ie: no messy fill hole, just neat plugs/slices.

If it never looks like you've been there it's definitely not a problem. Don't hide but don't be conspicuous. If it doesn't look like you doing anything wrong your probably not. 
Enjoy yourself whitedingo001 and do the right thing by yourself and every other detectorist.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: seban Extreme (don't laugh), AT Pro, Sovereign GT, 2 x ML E-Tracs and a Tesoro Bandido II
  • Oldest find: 1816 KGIII Sixpence

Offline Marty

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Hawkesbury River Region NSW Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88

• Total Badges: 44
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts The Gold Ring Returned an Item Coin Of the Month Winner Coin of the year Half Soveriegn The Crown Comm Penny Nugget over an Ounce Full Sovereign 500 Posts
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 20:28 »
I took the challenge , when someone call council saying there was a detector person digging up the park , Police even came , armed with just a screwdriver I showed them both there and then how I retrieved my targets. They were both amazed that there was no damage what so ever to the park grounds and I was given the green light to continue 

Just make a point of showing them how good you are at retrieving any target without soil/grass damage and they will give you the green light 
Worked for me 
Marty   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Old -GP3000/3500, GPX 4000,4500, GB1 , GPX5000, current XTerra705 , ForsGold, CTX3030 , SDC2300 , GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel , 1806 & 07 George III half penny, 1823 & 25 Farthing , 1825 George IV Penny ,1876 20 Mark Gold German Wilhelm I, 1889 Queen Vic Jubilee Head Double Florin, 1937 Australian Crown, lost gold ring over 120yr ago, returned property owner
"Just Dig It and it will come"

Offline kg1

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1292

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 21:11 »
Marty....it would all be good if everyone only ever used a screwdriver.

I had the same experience as you years ago.
I was just in the process of retrieving a target when I saw a dude actually running towards me.
He told me that he was from the council and that they'd had a report of me digging up the park...and all the while I'm trying to lever the target up from amongst the couch grass roots.
Up pops a screw cap and the penny dropped.
"Is that all you've been doing?" he asks.
I tell him yes and if he doesn't believe me then show me where I've been digging....end of argument.  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline whitedingo001

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 17:03 »
Where possible I avoid digging holes anywhere in a public place. If I need to I try to leave no sign that I was there. Going out after dark helps a bit too. Annoy nobody and lay low is my motto.

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

10%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 17:29 »
Howdy,
 The one instance I have been approached I stopped digging and had a chat and found out why he had the attitude he had. Seems someone had been  there previously and had " dug bloody great holes." I didn't  point out that you couldn't see them now but just packed up without argument. This person then gave me some info about other nearby places to dig, one of  which has yielded some nice silvers. As to digging in parks, I,m sorry but no one leaves absolutely no trace of their activities, unless things go very right as to ground conditions etc, but I do try to be as neat as possible and always take rubbish with me. One other thing I watch is the  weather. I prefer a forecast where rain is, at the most 48hrs away, so that my plugs get watered and have a better chance of surviving. Coz I am blessed with being close to land and beach sites so that helps. 
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline bal22

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Mackay
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 9
    Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 00:54 »
hi guys i live in mackay and am wanting to know if you know if there is a metal detecting club here? hard pressed to find anybody to go out digging with.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: getting a garrett euro ace soon
  • Oldest find: n/a

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44 »
hi guys i live in mackay and am wanting to know if you know if there is a metal detecting club here? hard pressed to find anybody to go out digging with.
Hi Mate,
CQdetectorists has just started Down rocky way.

We have had 2 meetings and on the 24th of this month we are going to calliope for the weekend. Welcome to come down.

Most communication is via facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/144790192850066/
You'll need a membership form and its $20 a year to roll at the moment.

Over 20 members already and the papers are in for incorporation so we will be all official.

Cheers mate
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

xx
Hi from Mackay in queensland

Started by bushpig3 on General Detecting Chatter

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 11:04
by whitedingo001
xx
going to Mackay this weekend any one in the house

Started by jeffaust68 on General Detecting Chatter

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 17:24
by jeffaust68