collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Loyalty  (Read 1271 times)

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    76.67%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
Loyalty
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:31 »

I can’t help but notice a bit of sniping, by some, in regard to members’ choice of detector. When I was a kid, my Dad often said: “Don’t buy a Ford, never vote labour and don’t marry a catholic girl.” He said lots of things in this vein and, I admit, his views were sometimes a bit naughty and not PC.  However, in his defence, if he had only one virtue; it was loyalty.  He was of another generation, when matters were viewed in black and white: You did or you didn’t. You were or you weren’t.
Nowadays, the lines are blurred.  I have owned a Ford, I married a Catholic (That burred with my Presbyterian Dad.) I’ve never voted for the same party at every election. However, I believe I have always been loyal. To family, country, people, brands, etc. That loyalty has not always been repaid but, I try to remain positive, just the same.
My point? Why is brand loyalty a point of contention? If I have always owned a certain brand of merchandise and have had no reason for complaint, why shouldn’t I continue to purchase same. Sure, I’ll change my opinion in light of a better alternative. I’m not set in concrete. But, I’m not on my own.  I’m sure many on this forum have similar views and they all don’t buy the same brands as I.  So what?
Surely the arguments should be about the features, qualities, after-sales service and reliability? Why should my choice be BS? Why should yours? I know we’ll never all agree but, let’s just agree to disagree. Let’s make logical, informed arguments for our point of view. I, for one, am always interested when members post comparison tests on the forum.  Especially those who do their best to make the test fair and honest. No BS.
“I drink beer because my Dad drank beer.” Seriously? Let’s be loyal to each other and our forum.
Here endeth the sermon. (It is Sunday, after all?)

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32609.0
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.
Cartwheel penny.
Groat.
1878 US Silver Dollar.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full.

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline douglas

• Copper

26.67%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170

• Total Badges: 10
    100 Posts One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Loyalty
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 18:53 »
Let me see, your Dad was loyal and that was good, you broke his rules and that was good, being loyal to a brand is bad, and being loyal to each other and the forum is good.
im confused it may take a while to get your answer
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garret ace 250

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

76.67%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1551

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 21:07 »
You'll never fix it, some blokes feel the need to promote "there" brand of detector & others just like to argue/stir the pot ;D, so don't worry about what others think & get out there & enjoy yourself, life's to short ;).
lazy 
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:56 »

Loyalty like respect and trust is earned !

ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 13:46 »
This is something I've been pondering for a while now. I've discussed it a few times with a forum member recently and his idea is that we all feel a need to justify their purchase  to themselves.

But I couldn't agree with your sentiment more though.....posts paying out what someone wears, or what shovel they use along with "my machine is better than yours" or the notion that if you purchase a new machine as it comes out your simply a gear nut have no place. It's simply a case of someone trying to be a bully to another member. Possibly an attempt to gain a "one up" over another. It's one of the things that stops me posting here as much as I used too  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 15:02 »
I think i will appear on the Coiltek website shortly and using a Garrett at the Token Hunt. I started off with my GT sov but found it upsetting a sore shoulder. No problems to me changing to a lighter unit in a different brand when the need arises.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline GemQ

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 982

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 16:22 »
I think i will appear on the Coiltek website shortly and using a Garrett at the Token Hunt. I started off with my GT sov but found it upsetting a sore shoulder. No problems to me changing to a lighter unit in a different brand when the need arises.
I lot of the coin and relic machines really struggled with live hot ground on the weekend. Needed to rain in the NOx a bit and play with the ground balancing. Even the CTXs were grumpy on the hot ground. Every machine you could think of was out there on the weekend, although strange to see the Backhoe boys using SDCs and Gofinds.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab GPX 4500 + Minelab Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny
Enjoy the hunt, love the pre-decimals & Nuggs

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1519

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 17:00 »
I guess we have to be PC here also so we don't offend others?  I make a reference that others wear excessive clothing/gear or are a gear loving person every time a new machine comes out in my opinion only therefore I'm a bully?  I don't try to be one up on anyone else. I've remained on this forum to share my finds, look at other finds, learn and try to help others. Everybody seems to be offended nowadays FFS.

I'm posted a few thousands miles from my family for at least a year or 2 at the moment so sorry if I have upset some feelings. If this is what this forum has become I might give it a rest until I'm back. I have other things at the moment to think about like staying safe. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesaro Bandido 2, Explorer, ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline tinpan

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 17:42 »
 HI , forum rules were not broken and Cloggy and myself are not offended . SO whats the big deal ? Whats next rainbow beanies and gender equality for coils. Hard up you bunch of drama queens. TP
This donkey knowns what a carrot is , Only billygoats eat anything

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

76.67%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 18:03 »
I guess we have to be PC here also so we don't offend others?  I make a reference that others wear excessive clothing/gear or are a gear loving person every time a new machine comes out in my opinion only therefore I'm a bully?  I don't try to be one up on anyone else. I've remained on this forum to share my finds, look at other finds, learn and try to help others. Everybody seems to be offended nowadays FFS.

I'm posted a few thousands miles from my family for at least a year or 2 at the moment so sorry if I have upset some feelings. If this is what this forum has become I might give it a rest until I'm back. I have other things at the moment to think about like staying safe.

WTF? I don't know what prompted this reply. My post was a general observation in regards those who feel the need to criticise, unnecessarily, the choices others make. My skin is thick enough and I'm savvy to when another is having a light-hearted dig. Taking the piss is in our national constitution (Or should be.). I, too, am here to share my experiences and, to learn from others.  I read your posts Dutchy and I'm yet to see anything that could offend any ordinary bloke.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco

Offline Grumpy1

• Bronze

16.67%
    • I live in: Mount Helen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121

Play It Forward Second year Anniversary 100 Posts The TON Cricket Buckle 50 Posts Comm Penny Nugget Under 1 Ounce Wheat Three Pence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 18:03 »
HI , forum rules were not broken and Cloggy and myself are not offended . SO whats the big deal ? Whats next rainbow beanies and gender equality for coils. Hard up you bunch of drama queens. TP
Well put,I thought it used to be the old Aussi way......give a bit of p..s and take a bit of p..s.
   Cheers.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Gpx 5000 Ctx 3030
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chlnese coin 1869 Sixpence

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 20:39 »
WTF? I don't know what prompted this reply. My post was a general observation in regards those who feel the need to criticise, unnecessarily, the choices others make. My skin is thick enough and I'm savvy to when another is having a light-hearted dig. Taking the piss is in our national constitution (Or should be.). I, too, am here to share my experiences and, to learn from others.  I read your posts Dutchy and I'm yet to see anything that could offend any ordinary bloke.
Not you 14FNX  - reply #5 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesaro Bandido 2, Explorer, ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 20:51 »
No idea what you mean Dutchy. I use Minelab gear mostly and would never recommend any other for gold hunting but i don’t mind using the little Ace 250 when i have to.

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 20:59 »
I'd say it was directed  at my comments. At no point did I mention or allude to you Dutchy. I'm on this forum for exactly the reasons as you are.....to have an opinion, which is all my post was. No need to take offence.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 21:07 »
Mine is Reply5 but the 6th post overall in the story.

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 06:16 »
Justo it was your comment and it was directed at me as you well know. The comment  about gear nut (gear queer, kit magnet) as I mentioned last year has came back it seems.  If it offended you then you should have told me. I will not carry on about this as others don't need to see petty stuff like this posted. Sorry if you think this is bullying again as its not meant to be.  You can PM me if you want to discuss further. I have limited internet access here so I might not be back for awhile.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 09:38 »
I get the reason for the post first of all.

I love a bit of Banter and 2 be honest I am in the TOP 3 verbal warriors in Australia. I just talked a car yard owner into giving me a refund. LOL

One of the things I love the most is to poke a certain brand and some of the that brands Fanboys/Girls/Trans/Bi and whatever else.
WHY?
Because they turn over hundreds of Millions dollars and no-one else is questioning them at all on anything EVER! they can sell machines for $500 as gold machines and NO-ONE ever says a thing. So I do.

This company spend BIG $$$ in all magazines, websites etc etc so none of the owners will take a swipe as they affect their income. This company has NO bearing on my income so I poke them as much as I can. Its become a sport and I am pleased to say I have it on good authority that I have been mentioned in one or more meetings of this company.

Goal achieved! I'll never be as big as them in Australia so I just disrupt the market enough to make a meager living by poking the bear as much as I can.

The funny thing is this weekend Just gone I ran a Deus special, with 3 of the people that wanted to buy it I simply said NO and sent them to the nearest dealer of the brand, alluded to, to buy PI machines. $7000+ in lost sales because I refuse to lie to someone in order to profit. for the record I sold 2 packages so it could have been a very good weekend for me.

What shits me more than anything is when you see a new detectorist who has been sold a $500 VLF machine at anaconda as a gold finder. When they come here for advice they get smashed about how bad a machine that it is for gold. They didn't know! it said bloody GOLD PACK on the box!!!
It kills peoples spirits and chases people away from the Hobby and also creates massive drama as people defend their purchases. If people want to take aldi detectors gold hunting LET THEM! Yes it is hard work but hey if they fall over an ounce bit an inch they are going to find it! At least they are out there having a go!!!

Its gotta stop and I hope i am doing my little bit to clean up the B.S that is told to sell people detectors EVERY DAY IN AUSTRALIA!

RANT OVER.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31 »
One often have the urge to say/comment or reply on subjects or posts but don't since the forum conditions/restrict do no longer allow for self editing/retraction/removal of ones own post, only a privileged few have that power/permission, a power that have proven/shown to be to tempting to resist for those that have a deficiency in self control/moderation.

As for detector brand or dealer loyalty, I purchase what take my interest from whoever might happen to have the item at a price I'm willing to pay.

A few items I have purchased in the past broke down within a month, their said Warranty turned out to be lighter than hot air and without honour, needles to say  my business is no longer going in their direction.  

ivanll

Offline douglas

• Copper

26.67%
    • I live in: footscray
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170

• Total Badges: 10
    100 Posts One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15 »
This is a bit like Facebook, someone posted the other day that they had a large screw through the sidewall of the tyre and had been told they needed a new tyre. I responded yes, you can not plug a sidewall unless its to get you out of the outback as the flexing of the tyre will cut the plug and you will have a blow out, and at highway speed you may not only kill yourself and your passengers but other road users when you lose control.
In the end the Keyboard warriors or as I call them Mental pygmies started world war three, in the end it was over 500 posts and there were threats of violence, I just couldn't believe it but that now seems to be the norm as a little knowledge, like ive had one metal detector and now I know everything is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands and we have seen it on here just to many times as it becomes irritating after a while especially to members that have been detecting for many years with many different machines.
I for one spent 2 years searching with a few VLF machines in the goldfields only to come to the realisation that I would have to go over all the ground I had been over, and it was just wasted time, Look at any true gold seeker with experience and they will be using a minelab, on the beach in saltwater there are a few, but not many good machines, and for coins its almost open slather there is a multitude of machines just find one you can understand, I cant put my Vaquero down, its a single tone no Display, its main disadvantage is as soon as you discriminate gold is gone, but im willing to sacrifice that for not digging ring pulls or crown seals as thats were I used to detect in trashy areas.
Now there are all sorts of bells and whistles these days but has VLF really improved that much the Vaquero came out in 2004 my first detector was a Compass 1979 model as it had just come out found coins to 8 inches and was okay in salt water but went to the goldfields and after that fiasco and lack of knowledge I gave detecting, a break for nearly 30 years 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garret ace 250

Offline tinpan

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 16:19 »
Hi Cleggy You come to the mountain of gold as a tourist and go home as a goldminer. My family has lived here for over 150 years and your telling other that what you sell is better than what locals here know about detecting for gold.  GET REAL NEW CHUM .. T.P
  • Detector(s) owned/used: MINELAB GPX 4500
  • Oldest find: Louis Comfort Tiffany Stained Glass Window

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 17:21 »
I think you missed Clegy’s point Tinpan. He said he lost a couple of weekend sales as he wouldn’t sell a machine to clients who wanted to look for gold.
( thats the way i read it anyway )

The funny thing is this weekend Just gone I ran a Deus special, with 3 of the people that wanted to buy it I simply said NO and sent them to the nearest dealer of the brand, alluded to, to buy PI machines. $7000+ in lost sales because I refuse to lie to someone in order to profit.”

Offline ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2685

• Total Badges: 38
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 17:39 »
Not hard to confuse me

I’m confused
  • Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .
Anywhere , Everywhere , Nowhere & 
Somewhere are the same place  !!

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 18:33 »
Hi Cleggy You come to the mountain of gold as a tourist and go home as a goldminer. My family has lived here for over 150 years and your telling other that what you sell is better than what locals here know about detecting for gold.  GET REAL NEW CHUM .. T.P
Read my Post again mate.

I don't chase NOR do I sell machines to gold hunters, I sell machines to coinshooters that want to have crack at gold every now and then or to people that want a small gold hunter to compliment their heavy PI Machines and to have a crack at a few coins when they can't get out wide for the gold.

NEVER Once in my Life have a lied about my machines capabilities. 
YES I'll walk a monster, an equinox or a CTX up and down any day of the week, But the PI has me covered....... For now......

I'm Pretty real by the way. LOL

Its not my fault everytime a machine comes out it gets compared to Mine, Its what happens when you sell the best VLF metal detector in the world. >:D8):o
Just for the record I run a 5000 when gold hunting 90% of the time and I have never hidden that fact, I like to find stuff so I use the best gear I can afford in each category. Gold, Beach and everywhere else. 4 machines from 4 different brands.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny

Offline tinpan

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 18:57 »
Hi cleggy  Yesterday i was detecting the deep trenches which the nightmen use dump the dunny cart cans from all houses before the sewage system was built. 17 trenches 50 feet long and 3 feet deep . Clean soil today but you think any vlf can punch that deep .only got 3 silvers and couple relics. Ever thought this sort of site? Next is a charcoal makers camp . See you also use a pi machine for relics too. I am really good at finding sites that no one else thinks of.  What theres a dark horse on the forum. TP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: MINELAB GPX 4500
  • Oldest find: Louis Comfort Tiffany Stained Glass Window

Offline GemQ

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 982

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 21:10 »
Naive Minelab Fanboy,

I with tens of others on the forum have been sucked into the hype, false advertising and overall overexposure of the NOx. How can a machine that has been actively tested in parks, goldfields and the beach in Australia even try to compete with our neighbours in the northern hemisphere. I was very cautious buying a machine for half the price than its northern neighbour especially on the largest island on earth where the majority of the 20 million people live on the beach. I mean who would want an overpriced machine that cant get its feet wet. 
Minelab are highly unstable and seem to neurotically continuously develop detectors just for the sake of it unlike our stable  northern neighbours under two meters of snow who like a good winter hibernation haven't released a detector for years.

My loyalty must be misplaced :'( :'(
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab GPX 4500 + Minelab Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam