collapse

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Bump sensitivity  (Read 655 times)

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3644

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Bump sensitivity
« on: March 12, 2018, 18:44 »
Struck my first pothole with the Nox on Saturday . Was a PMAT field day chasing gold and the first time i had used the Nox in our Tassie scrub , and the first time using the prospecting modes . I have had great success in paddocks , parks , beaches and sporting areas with this machine and still think it's a great machine for those areas . But , prospecting and relic detecting in the areas i hunt involve endless sticks and bracken fern , and this machine falses endlessly in this scenario , even when using sensitivity as low as 12 ! Used field 2 for some relics and found it was not much better , finding an 1888 halfpenny on a bulldozed track , but useless in the bush where i use my old MXT like a fern hook ! Even the Makro Gold and Nokta Relic perform well in this situation . So i will be reviewing my upcoming detector chop list , the MXT was always going to stay but i reckon the Makro might get a reprieve also . The Nox will get heavy usage where [in my opinion] it shines , beaches and parks , a bush basher at the moment it is not . 

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32618.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , Minelab Equinox 800 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline BrisGazza

• Gold

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane North
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1427

• Total Badges: 37
    Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Rams Head Shilling Returned an Item Commonwealth Halfpenny Wheat Three Pence Sixpence Florin Comm Penny
Re: Bump sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 18:51 »
I found this a problem when testing a friends nox the other week , it seemed to be very bump sensitive on the thick grass , Gazza 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett A T Pro International,Garrett Pinpointer,Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Penny - 1881 Half Sovereign - 1895 Shilling
Gazza

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 20:21 »
I found this a problem when testing a friends nox the other week , it seemed to be very bump sensitive on the thick grass , Gazza
You must have been in some pretty thick grass , mine has run sweet so far on grassed areas , but falses constantly from even tiny sticks only a couple of mill thick caught in the coil and every strike on standing bracken sounds of as well . I notice on D.P. forum this matter is being raised too . I feel like lowering the gain to 12 or less for quietness would probably be self defeating . Anybody that has experienced Tassie bush would know the level of scrub there is here , unfortunately where it's thick is where the goodies still are ! Lucky i have some spare alternative units .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , Minelab Equinox 800 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 20:28 »
Do you lose much depth by lowering the gain? 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)
Never hunted out!

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1699

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 21:38 »
Try raising the ground balance a little from std setting see if that helps.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50 »
Do you lose much depth by lowering the gain?
Will have to do some testing but using less than half the available gain would have to have some depth loss i think . And it still was noisy at 12 .

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52 »
Try raising the ground balance a little from std setting see if that helps.
Ok that's something else to play around with . I did try various recovery speeds with little improvement .

Offline Justafisho

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 289

• Total Badges: 21
    Third year Anniversary Returned an Item Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16 »
Will have to do some testing but using less than half the available gain would have to have some depth loss i think . And it still was noisy at 12 .
I'll be interested to hear the results. Lowering gain doesn't always mean less depth. I have a v3i (possibly the first multi frequency machine) and rx gain can quite often be lowered to deal with either emi, "bump" falsing or the falsing sometimes heard at the end of one's swing(change of direction) and still be getting quite deep targets. Does the nox have sensitivity and gain, or just gain? There's a really good document that's been put together for the v3i that explains all this in depth(and let's face it, whilst all machines have different quirks, they still all operate with the same principles) . I'll look for it tonight, it could even be on here somewhere. Apologize of I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but learning the difference between gain and sensitivity changed the way I set my machines up. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V3i -CTX3030- AT Pro- XP Deus-Garrett Pro pointer- Whites TRX Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Canada Nova Scotia halfpenny token(1815)

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:10 »
I've found that if I am having Bump issues its one of 2 things.

Too much grunt into the coil making it very unstable, normally turning down the POWER rather sensitivity sets it right. More susceptible on higher frequencies I noticed too. So maybe drop the KHZ a bit as well. I explained it once as like having too much torque it makes it a bit twitchy at times. LOL

Other thing and I noticed this on my PI Beach machine when I had it wound up a bit. TINY vibrations of the coil cable where being picked up by the machine when I hit small rocks and shells. It took me 2 months of trying different stuff other than taking the grunt out, to get it right.
Something said re wind the cable and I did with a much tighter cable holder closer to the bottom. Problem solved and I felt a little dumb as well which was pretty standard for me.

Happy Hunting

Clegy

P.S Is the coil flexing at all? It could be vibrations from that too. Just an after thought.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 13:24 »
I'll be interested to hear the results. Lowering gain doesn't always mean less depth. I have a v3i (possibly the first multi frequency machine) and rx gain can quite often be lowered to deal with either emi, "bump" falsing or the falsing sometimes heard at the end of one's swing(change of direction) and still be getting quite deep targets. Does the nox have sensitivity and gain, or just gain? There's a really good document that's been put together for the v3i that explains all this in depth(and let's face it, whilst all machines have different quirks, they still all operate with the same principles) . I'll look for it tonight, it could even be on here somewhere. Apologize of I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but learning the difference between gain and sensitivity changed the way I set my machines up.
I have been using real VLF Multi Frequency since 1993 and waterproof since 1996, have absolutely  No Need to change.
Fisher CZ5 came out in 1993, CZ 20 1996,  Whites V3-V3i in 2009, VX3 in 2011.
V3i is a marvel just to far ahead of it's time.
ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline GemQ

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 982

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 13:55 »
Be interested to see a video showing this. Haven’t been a major issue with me and I know from testing gold coils that it can be very much driven from the individual. Some run noisy and hot, some like it quiet as a mouse.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab GPX 4500 + Minelab Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny
Enjoy the hunt, love the pre-decimals & Nuggs

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 21:04 »
Thanks for all the replies . When i shake this awful flu i have i will try a couple of your suggestions but i think i may have found this machines limitations in my bush hunting scenario .

Offline blueyonder

• Platinum

86.67%
    • I live in: Avalon NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 655

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny The Gold Ring Rising Sun Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 08:27 »
 i think i may have found this machines limitations in my bush hunting scenario .
  I hope not!...It's pretty much the only type of hunting I do. I've only had the chance to do a quick hunt with the Nox and must say I did not do too well..a lot of falsing on twigs and around clumps of fern. Quite a lot of TDI numbers showing up with no tones to match. Only found a few diggable signals (only coins were 2 threepences) whereas my brother scored 15 coins and lots of junk with his new Nox. He was always a minelab type while I have only used the A.T Pro on land.
I'm sure I'll be able to tune it to do a lot better given time and tips from you lot..cheers..Dave
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Infinium LS,Garrett AT PRO
  • Oldest find: 1842 Queen Victoria young head silver half crown

Offline NewSouthCroweater

• Platinum

10%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128

• Total Badges: 31
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:19 »
Re. Bump Sensitivity
I hope its ok to put a link to another forum
Steve and others here have discussed this bump issue - hopefully you can find and answer in the threads there
good luck :)

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5824-equinox-prospecting-work-around/?tab=comments#comment-61297

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5758-equinox-micro-nuggets/?tab=comments#comment-60495
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:21 by NewSouthCroweater »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Equinox800, CTX3030, X-Terra70, Excalibur II, E-Trac, Garrett Ace250, Garrett ProPointer, Pistol Probe, Fisher F-Pulse, SitoScoop
  • Oldest find: 1695 Half Penny, gold nugget

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam