collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Processing at home  (Read 300 times)

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    26.67%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6

• Total Badges: 7
    Badges: (View All)
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Processing at home
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:13 »
Hi All,

I am trying to get a little clarification about the rules regarding to processing of potential pay dirt at home, NSW specific.

Scenario,

You go out to a know gold producing location, you do some panning and find, what you think is a pay streak, you classify what and pan what you can on site, then realise that it is getting late. You want to take some of the dirt home to process. Are you permitted to do this? I read the fossicking guide and it looks like you can, but you are required to leave the area as you found it, which also means that you must  fill your holes.
If you take dirt away, you don't have enough dirt to fully fill the hole.

When out in the field you are permitted to process the dirt via panning and a sluice in a natural flowing stream, creek or river. Does this mean you are required to do the same at home or can you use a recirculating pump through a sluice or hi-banker, so as to save water and not run a hose continuously?  

Finally after processing the dirt, would you be expected to return the cleaned dirt back to the location from which you removed the dirt?

I am only asking this as I have been undertaking some panning more recently and am finding it hard to process all the pay dirt I find in the limited time I have in the field. Also when the water is scarce, it makes it very hard to process, without clouding up the puddles or small ponds that remain.

I look forward to your constructive advice and feedback.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32855.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

100%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 309

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
Re: Processing at home
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 15:11 »
Firstly, you are permitted to use any processing method you want to at your residence.
Then, it gets vague.  I think that if you act in the spirit of the law and do the best you can to fill holes and leave as little trace of your activity, then you are still within the law.

BELOW IS A VERBATIM EXTRACT OF NSW MINING REGUALTIONS 2016, PART 2, CLAUSE 12:

(1)  A person who causes any soil, rock or other material to be disturbed in the course of work carried out for the purpose of fossicking for minerals must ensure that:
(a)  the soil, rock or other material is removed and stockpiled separately, and

(b)  after completion of the work, the soil, rock or other material is replaced in order to reconstruct the original soil profile.
[color][size][font]
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units.[/font][/size][/color]
(2)  A person must not carry out work that includes any of the following activities for the purpose of fossicking:
(a)  the use of any equipment other than hand-held implements on any land or waters that is subject to native title,

(b)  the excavation or clearing of any land or waters that is subject to native title,

(c)  the use of power-operated equipment for the purpose of surface disturbance, excavation or processing on any land,

(d)  the use of explosives on any land,

(e)  the damage or removal of any bushrock,

(f)  the removal of more than the prescribed amount of material from any land during any single period of 48 hours,

(g)  the disturbance of more than 1 cubic metre of any soil, rock or other material during any single period of 48 hours.
[color][size][font]
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units.
Note.
 The language of part of this subclause mirrors the language of part of section 24LA (Low impact future acts) of the Native Title Act 1993 of the Commonwealth. That section refers, in part, to an act (in relation to particular land or waters) that does not consist of, authorise or otherwise involve “the excavation or clearing of any of the land or waters” or “mining (other than fossicking by using hand-held implements)”.
[/font][/size][/color]
(3)  In this clause:
gemstone means a Group 6 or Group 7 mineral.
Note.
 Group 6 and Group 7 minerals are listed in Schedule 2.

power-operated equipment means any equipment powered by mechanical or electrical means.
prescribed amount, in relation to material, means:
(a)  10 kilograms of mineral-bearing material (other than the material referred to in paragraphs (b)–(e)), or

(b)  5 kilograms of minerals (other than gold or gemstones), or

(c)  50 grams of gold (except where found as nuggets of 10 grams or greater), or

(d)  5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater of gold, or

(e)  100 grams of gemstones.
I HOPE THIS HELPS. It is a bit ambiguous as at one point you have to replace what you disturb, yet, at another, you can take away prescribed amounts. Hopefully, the link below will be helpful and you can navigate around the Act to satisfy your query.
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2016/498/part2/sec12
I believe, as I said above, if you act within the spirit of the law, you will not be prosecuted.
Cheers, David.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full
Cartwheel penny
Groat

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1488

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 19:20 »
There's a concentrator on the market that sits in a paint bucket & processes down to heavy's quite quickly.
or try quick panning - pan down to the heavy concentrate's ( black sand ETC ) then wash it into a bucket for later processing & move on to the next pan, it's a much quicker way to process larger volumes of paydirt ;) .
lazy   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

26.67%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6

• Total Badges: 7
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 17:32 »
Thank you 14FNX for your feedback. the laws do look a bit vague.

Lazyaussie - I actually have one of those concentrators, which sit in the bucket. They are great, and do help a lot. In addition to the traditional style pans (Metal & Plastic types) I have recently purchased and am using the Gold Claw pan, which is very fast. I did a trial to see if I miss/loos any gold and have found it very efficient and very little if any gold is missed. I did the same process with the traditional pans and had similar results. Panning all comes down to practice.

I guess I am mainly concerned with processing the material down in a concentrator, then placing this in a bucket for further processing when I get home.
The problem comes when you look at having to reconstruct the original soil profile - when taking up to 10 kg of concentrates away for further processing.

Once the concentrates or dirt as I called it has been processed, so I can collect the gold (bullets/bits of waste iron - nails and the like), I am still note sure if I should return the processed material back to the area form which I collected it. I am thinking this to be the best option, subject to me returning the that same area, though I don't want to be potentially reported for dumping the processed dirt back from where it came.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1488

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 19:37 »
half a 10L paint bucket would be no problem :) , think the idea is to make the area look like you've not been there at all.
lazy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2

xx
Can I process materials at home?

Started by livebait on General Gold Chatter

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 05:29
by livebait

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything