collapse

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  First 3 hours on the machine  (Read 162 times)

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    66.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1512

• Total Badges: 31
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
First 3 hours on the machine
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:45 »
Hello,

After a 3 month hiatus of not being able to detect I was very excited to be back on the ground and with a new machine.  I will not go into a grand review but share some of my observations from a relic hunting perspective.  I spent 3 hours on an old home site which I've been hammering for over 3 years with the CTX.  I played around with a number settings mainly in field 1 and 2 .  I managed to find a few small relics that maybe the CTX or I just missed.

lightness is a bonus

I've always preferred hard wired headphones so the little cord kept getting in the way. I will try the Bluetooth option next time.

5 tones will work for me. I will also play around with the tone pitch (highest) for 25 to 40 to make the silver scream out. I found I can set the machine up to sound like my custom settings that I use on the CTX which is a bonus

I miss the pin point trigger on the front of the handle. I guess I spent too many hours on the CTX. 

The user profile button should be larger and on the front. I found it a pain to engage when wearing gloves.

My coil moved around a little and doesn't seem locked in as tight as I would prefer. May have to double check the locking screws.

The recovery is very fast.

The depth gauge doesn't seem to be accurate. It kept reading 8 to 10 inches on targets but most were around the 5 to 6 range.  I prefer the CTX meter.

Target numbers jump around a bit in the iron areas. I'm used  to the FBS on the CTX/Etrac where they are more stable. Saying that the tones were very clear on repeatable targets.

The setting I ended with was mainly  factory in  field 2. I will go in the advanced settings and  change the tone pitch.  Iron bias at 0. sensitivity 22. 5 tones.  still working out the option of manual or tracking ground balance.   I only engaged all metal when double checking targets and would be useful when searching for potential home sites. I will also lower the tone volume for all metal so the grunt sounds are not as loud.  

I'm looking forward to really getting to know this machine as it has some great potential. Next week I will give it a good work out and looking forward to the multi IQ finding stuff the CTX iron masked out.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32963.0
Research

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346

• Total Badges: 32
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: First 3 hours on the machine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:45 »
Welcome back Jarhead, it is a good detector and if anybody can tweak it it's you, maybe Mark has something to offer as well, plenty of youtube vids out now worth watching, looking forward to your future posts.......cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

66.67%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1512

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
Re: First 3 hours on the machine
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 16:51 »
Thanks buddy. I was on the phone to Mark the first day I took it out of the box!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything