collapse

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Equinox and Youtube.  (Read 454 times)

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Equinox and Youtube.
« on: June 15, 2018, 13:10 »
Been browsing in the quest for knowledge as we all do, the detector has been out for a while now and apart from the usual chumps who might have an alternate motive this guy seems genuine and may have an issue, it appears he has been in contact with ML and has made a further video at their request, no shite fight required but he has had an interesting point of view, if the link doesn't work his "handle' is Lewis1141951, I tend to believe there may be an issue and wondered if anyone here can solve his problem......cheers Colin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiTWE6A0Uk.
PS..can't seem to post a live link, you may have to cut and paste in your browser.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32964.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

86.67%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2434

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Equinox and Youtube.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 15:00 »
hi Colin,
I think its pretty unique that he's identified something that could be an issue, from his user experience. small stuff is fine, flat or upright on edge..
wonder if the signal is nulling/cancelling itself out due to a larger size object ie: speed of swing & recovery speed, size of object ie: large, ends
up cancelling itself out. ie a condition not coded for.  Also good to see Minelab appear to be working with him on it.

Found this link, apparently showing the smarts in the coil: http://md-hunter.com/minelab-equinox-coil-x-ray-is-it-really-the-half-of-machine/
Hopefully the issue fix is a software update.

One thing I've learnt from testing IT systems ... let your test people test it, and then it is only really ready for user testing - people not associated with you or your team will test it in ways you never ever dreamed of.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 15:34 »
He has put up a few vids Brian, in one of them he picks it up using the individual frequencies but loses it only in"Multi", it is good to see Minelab is on the ball, who knows?, it might be something that affects us all.......cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

73.33%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 15:43 »
Okay. I watched the video right through and, although the guy used a large silver ring as his example, I got the impression his claim is that the Equinox misses BIG silver.  His showing us a US silver dollar reinforced my view, although he didn't swing over it.  So, I just went out in to the back yard and conducted a test using my Equinox800 and a US 1878 Morgan silver dollar. (That, folks, is BIG silver!)  It was an air test and, whether flat or on its side, the Equinox gave a clear tone and TID in every mode.  I did a factory preset and noise cancel before I started and made no other adjustments. So, am I missing his point?  (BTW, I did video my test on my Iphone but am not sure how to upload it.)

I'm not sure if early Australian and UK florins count as big silver but, I have found both with the Nox.  And I know I'm not the only person on this forum finding silver florins.

So, having watched old mate's video and I don't doubt his veracity, what is going on with his detector?  I don't have a big silver ring to replicate his tests.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.
Cartwheel penny.
Groat.
1878 US Silver Dollar.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full.

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 16:09 »
After watching I went out and did the same thing 14FNX, prior to discovering this vid I have already found a florin and a big silver ring with the 600 so for me I have no issues, these were both old and deep targets in Beach 2, still puzzled why he and a few others listed in the comments section of his video have this problem, hopefully it's not 10min of our lives wasted, that's a cracker of a coin you used for testing, was it a detector find?......cheers Colin.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 16:25 »
Maybe the ring has a hair line crack in it. That would make it difficult to hear edge on. I also thought that the flat on signal was a tad weak for such a heavy sil ring.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

73.33%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 16:58 »

Hi Colin
I found the coin with my old Minelab  Goldseeker 15000. I was posted to RAAF Amberley and ran the detector over the old aircraft parking area used during WW2. It was during a night shift and I spent half my time looking up at Halley’s Comet and the other half at the ground. I also have found an 1898 Morgan dollar which I, foolishly, gave to one of my sons. He lost it not long after.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 17:10 »
You may have noticed he did a factory reset Adrian, this means in Park 1 he only has 5 tones available, I have found the standard tones on the Nox quite 'dull' for my hearing and they don't always leap out at me like the Xterra, however you can manually change the tones to 1,2,5 or 50 and as an advanced setting you can adjust the 'Tone Pitch' from 1 to 25 to make your preferred targets stand out, it would have sounded better for sure but I guess that was not a priority. Pity you live so far away Adrian as I'd love to let you have a go with mine and in return receive an opinion from a respected detectorist......cheers Colin. 

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 146

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 17:54 »
Good video.

My guess is he is using a DD coil. ;D

Turn the angle of detection of that ring by 90° and see what happen .......... or use a mono coil.

A ring with a crack in it will have the same effect no matter what detector is used.

ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

73.33%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 20:15 »
Actually, his test was flawed because he didn’t try from different angles. I know, not every target sits at the best angle when we search but, if he’s trying to prove a point, he should have moved his angle of attack to reinforce his case. Just saying.

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

86.67%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2434

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 23:15 »
From the video, the MFD detector is using a DD coil, the Equinox has a DD coil.

I dont think his test is flawed.

The test case:
--------------
rectangular silver object(ring, large) when placed on edge parallel to the DD coil center

The result
----------
- the MFD detector sounds on it
- the Equinox does not sound on it

why?

Actually, his test was flawed because he didn’t try from different angles. I know, not every target sits at the best angle when we search but, if he’s trying to prove a point, he should have moved his angle of attack to reinforce his case. Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 23:28 by brianincnb »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

73.33%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 23:39 »
Fair comment Brian.  I guess I'm a bit flummoxed that his Equinox didn't detect it.  My other point (earlier post) that he he states that it doesn't pick up "big" silvers still confuses me.  Was the reference to a silver dollar an indication that he is saying his Equinox doesn't 'see' that too?  It was more his reference to that which made me wonder?  It would have been less confusing, to me, if he had videoed a test over the dollar, rather than just introduce it at the end of the video, comparing it to European coins and smaller US coins.  I guess I'll have to check with all my kin and friends to find if they own a large silver ring so I can check it out myself.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this bloke is telling porkies, but his video title refers to the Equinox missing "big" silvers.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 942

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 08:06 »
Just while i think of it and a little off topic. Our Bpc treasurer, just back from China picked up two different dates,  old “Silver” dollars. $2.50 in all the markets now and very realistic. Expect to find the occasional one soon.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 09:13 »
Real world testing, good on him.

The guy will likely be branded as negative for telling/showing the facts.

Surely someone doing beach detecting on the Gold Coast with an Equinox should be able to enlighten.

ivanll

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 18:52 »
You may have noticed he did a factory reset Adrian, this means in Park 1 he only has 5 tones available, I have found the standard tones on the Nox quite 'dull' for my hearing and they don't always leap out at me like the Xterra, however you can manually change the tones to 1,2,5 or 50 and as an advanced setting you can adjust the 'Tone Pitch' from 1 to 25 to make your preferred targets stand out, it would have sounded better for sure but I guess that was not a priority. Pity you live so far away Adrian as I'd love to let you have a go with mine and in return receive an opinion from a respected detectorist......cheers Colin.
I Have been mulling over getting an Equinox. Although I wonder if it is any better than my Safari for beach work. It does appear to be a better all rounder than the safari in that the Equinox has better iron mineral handling ability...(I think?)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 20:36 »
It would be interesting to see how it would go on an 18 ct or better gold ring of same size.

Anyone brave enough to do a test and reveal it. ???

ivanll

Offline John-au

• Gold

66.67%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 303

• Total Badges: 42
    Sixth year Anniversary Farthing Rams Head Shilling Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 21:31 »
Just while i think of it and a little off topic. Our Bpc treasurer, just back from China picked up two different dates,  old “Silver” dollars. $2.50 in all the markets now and very realistic. Expect to find the occasional one soon.
Get your mate to see if his "Old Silver Dollars" stick to a magnet, I bought two 1884 dollars from a market stall in Dubai in 2012. Only discovered they were cast steel last year, they know their stuff I thought I had beat him down in price.  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real
A big part of detecting is being in the right place - in your head and at the site.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 942

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 22:29 »
I think the “American dollars” would be nickel but look the part. I will put up some pictures on another post.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline John-au

• Gold

66.67%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 303

• Total Badges: 42
    Sixth year Anniversary Farthing Rams Head Shilling Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 23:37 »
I think the “American dollars” would be nickel but look the part. I will put up some pictures on another post.
Hadn't thought of that, my 1884 US dollars are possibly nickel as well, certainly under weight compared to a silver dollar.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline 14FNX

• Silver

73.33%
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 23:51 »
My US silver dollar weighs 26.60 grams. which is .13 less than they were when minted.  I guess, that allowing for wear, is pretty accurate.  I've seen the Chinese 'memorial' coins advertised but I don't know how much they weigh.   I'm sure they are smart enough to make theirs weigh close to the originals.  Seeing as I found mine more than 30 years ago, it's not a fake.  It certainly doesn't react to a magnet.  It registers in the high silver numbers on my Equinox.

xx
Equinox

Started by Nuke em on Equinox

24 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 20:35
by Nuke em
smiley
First run with the Equinox

Started by GemQ on Equinox

21 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 17:12